Home General Discussion

oh ,my! 3D art in a museum!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mime polycounter lvl 14
I've always wondered what would it take for 3d art to be put in a real gallery or a museum and not feel out of place.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=841909&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk

Question answered...

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really want to see that in a museum. Someone needs to start a digital art museum.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    3d art has been put in "real galleries" and museums for nearly a decade now. It isn't near the coolness of what this is, but it isn't like digital art hasn't been kicking for many many years. Most of it would need to be seen at a contemporary museum and could be tucked away behind all the blood paintings and sculptures of poo.

That huge piece there is definitely badass, and is cool he got an exhibition.

zac: there are.

http://moca.virtual.museum/about.htm
    http://dam.org/dox/2315.aBbgc.H.1.De.php
    http://www.amoda.org/

Not sure if the interpretation of "museum" means it has to be the thing your mommy takes you to to learn about cavemen and science in a big old building - but there are modern equivalents of the term and all it takes is a little digging to find stuff.

You can also submit art to SIGGRAPH for the yearly show, to get pieces into their gallery. I don't mean to go off-topic here, but its a petpeve of mine to read people's comments about "how there isnt anything for digital artists," and "someone should do this" when there are more than enough venues to push your work out through. All it takes is a little looking and some work to get it done. And hell, if there isn't, that "someone" should be you.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    ...Wow, that is freaking fantastic. I'd love to be able to see this thing in person.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty awesome man...congrats ;)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wow. fantastic!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omfg, I need a cropped print of that.. amazing stuff
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    moose wrote: »
    3d art has been put in "real galleries" and museums for nearly a decade now. It isn't near the coolness of what this is, but it isn't like digital art hasn't been kicking for many many years. Most of it would need to be seen at a contemporary museum and could be tucked away behind all the blood paintings and sculptures of poo.

Been browsing those links you posted and i'm sorry to say that most of it is crap. Most of the works look like someone just pasted a few photos one on top of the other and then bashed their head against a list of filters. I mean in some of them the only thing that is missing is a lens flare.
    Again emphasis on MOST. I did like a few. :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, most of the stuff that you'll find that has been in those, and other contemporary museums will be "crap," heh, im not a huge fan either. It's all a matter of taste, as well as personal devotion to get your stuff in, and how you can talk the art-lingo-bs of what your work means.

My point with the links was more that while we may think venues for digital art are nonexistent - they do exist and are out there. Achieving what this dude did is awesome, and probably happens more than we think! Helps his piece is fuckin rad too :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I have a hunch thats not really *in* a museum. the pictures of it hung up look a bit too digital.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    What I would love to see someday is a game art museum. Something that has in depth descriptions of the art styles of that game/series, concept sculptures, concept art, final 3D models on display and giant replicas of characters and such. It really wouldn't be that far fetched in 10 years or so. It really wouldn't be that far fetched in a year or two.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/08/smithsonian-exhibit-the-art-of-video-games-opens-in-2012/

thought it would be sometime this year :( its a good sign though, hopefully will be a well done exhibit
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    FINALLY, some recognition. Last year, i got in a huge argument wth my mom. she said 3D wasnt art. WTF? is this how most people see CG art as?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    my Dad claims im building monkeys everytime im doing something cg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    CG isnt art. Art is art

a medium is just a medium :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Motives: forgive me if what you said just went right over my head, but what is your point. Is it that the actual Phrase “CG” does not contain the word “art”?
    Not sure I understand what you are saying.
    IMO just about anything can be broken down into an art form, so 3d ART (theres that word) definetly falls into this category.

Anyways I love the overall design of this especially how everything is desaturated and then you have that explosion of red.

Desktop background for the win!