Home Technical Talk

wacom crashes. about to slay some !@#$%

tacit math
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tacit math polycounter lvl 17
i use a bamboo at home. does the trick from a functional standpoint ( though i really miss the app specific settings of the intuos. fuck you wacom for leaving that out of these lower priced models ) so i feel little need to upgrade to an intuos 4 exceeeeept that the fucking little shit drops out ten fucking times a session. i've been dealing with it for far too long now so my question then is : for those who're running the intuos 4. how stable are you finding it ? any quirky driver issues or frequent enough crashes to warrant concern and the outright biffing it across the room ?

cheers

Replies

• PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Wacom Bamboo.

~ Eh... Just thought I'd say that.

Post: If I were you I wouldn't bother with the Intuos range. The nibs wear out so frequently that you'll soon have spent more in nibs than in the actual tablet itself. Why Wacom haven't sought to solve this is clear; they want you to keep buying from them.

A sort of, literal, physical, lifetime subscription.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    iv had my intuos 1 for like 10 years now without any problems..and my work intuos 3 is the same! sorry cant say anything for intuos 4, have they dropped in quality compared to the older versions? make sure you have the latest version of the wacom drivers too btw..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    PieJesu wrote: »
    If I were you I wouldn't bother with the Intuos range. The nibs wear out so frequently that you'll soon have spent more in nibs than in the actual tablet itself. Why Wacom haven't sought to solve this is clear; they want you to keep buying from them.

What?

My Intuos2 came with 6 spare nibs, in the 5 years I've owned it, I've been through 2, I still have 4 spare.
    No idea how hard you're pressing, or what point you're calling a nib "worn out", but that just sounds wrong.

tacit math: I had some fun and games yesterday trying to get the drivers updated to latest version on Windows 7 (looks like the very latest version doesn't work at all, I couldn't even get to the Tablet Control Panel), fortunately I still had the installer for the previous version so I've rolled back to that and it's fine again.

In general I rarely have issues with my Intuos2 though. Once every few months the drivers kinda die a bit but it usually gets solved by just restarting the service, which only takes a few seconds.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies guys. yeah i'm constantly updating drivers in the hope that one of them will stick. the latest i ran with crashed zb almost at the touch ( 3.5r2. put pen down. crash zb. test mouse down. no crash. etc. haven't tried it with r3 yet ) and didn't make anything more solid overall. the main problem is it ' flickering ' on and off. it'll just die. then ( maybe ) in a few seconds restart. then sometimes just crash outright. i've had similar issues with other wacom tablets. graphire 4 and intuos 3. but nothing so severe as with the bamboo

MoP. i've tried some things in the hope of restarting the service without needing to restart. but to no avail. would you mind sharing the method you use to do this ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    1. Start -> Run -> "services.msc".
    2. Look for "TabletService" (I think, might be called something else for the Bamboo).
    3. Right-click on it and choose "Stop".
    4. Once it's stopped, right-click on it again and choose "Restart Service".
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks MoP. that was one of the things i've tried before. restarting the service once it'd crashed. but i've never been able to bring it back. well. not all the way back. since. very frustrating. the tablet is still ' on '. and it's recognizing that it's only mapped to one monitor ( hasn't reverted back to a standard pointing device ). but no longer any pressure sensitivity. sigh ! my list of throat punch recipients is growing wacom
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    PieJesu wrote: »
    I love Wacom Bamboo.

~ Eh... Just thought I'd say that.

Post: If I were you I wouldn't bother with the Intuos range. The nibs wear out so frequently that you'll soon have spent more in nibs than in the actual tablet itself. Why Wacom haven't sought to solve this is clear; they want you to keep buying from them.

A sort of, literal, physical, lifetime subscription.

Really? I've been using my Intuos 3 for a couple of years and I haven't had to replace the nib once. I use the springy gray nib only (Gives a bit of feedback to the pen/tablet) and mine is still pristine. Are you jabbing the tablet like a 6 year old would crayons to paper? Turn down the sensitivity in the Wacom preferences so you don't have to press so hard, it will keep both tablet and nib in better shape.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think i've replaced one intuos nib in like 7 years,
  • THNKR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to replace an Intuos 2 pen once after five years of very heavy use. I think I replaced 1 nib and flipped the plastic sheet once. l still have that tablet, added an Intuos 4 this spring. Never once had an issue with it. Like that it no longer has a loose plastic sheet and, yes, I do use the buttons.