Home General Discussion

Darksiders - Out Tuesday 1-4-10

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Few polycount'ers worked on this. I played about an 2 hours of it tonight (roommate works at Vigil), its awesome! Character models were slick and environments in the first area anyways had had tons of atmosphere and particle effects going on.

Very Impressive! Congrats to everyone that worked on it :) Picking up my copy tomorrow.

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait! Looks so amazing.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Bought the Assassin Creed 2. :(

I guess I'll be buying this game a month later.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    im getting this tomorrow for sure, saw the ign livedemo and was wowed by the art and the combat looks fun.
  • Piflik
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    First thought it to be another DMC Clone (the marketing department really didn't do a good job on that), but after reading some Reviews I am really hyped for the game...have to see, if I can get it today...it look really great and I always watched the Nintendo-Zelda players with more than a little envy...
  • kolbyjukes
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Picking up a copy today, been dying to play this game forever.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    pre-ordered, though I'm saving it until I finish a bunch of other games that I'm playing catch-up on.
  • Firecracker197
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah this is definitely next on my list after I finish Assassins Creed 2. I have been hearing about it for years now and I'm glad its finally being released.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Woot! We are all pretty excited about it. I was fortunate enough to contribute a little to the project (I'm on the 40K MMO Team) and all I can say is that I was blown away by what they accomplished.

- BoBo
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    My copy is on its way. Not sure if I'll get it finished before ME2, and then bioshock 2 is released next month. Too many games to buy. :(

Congrats to anyone who worked on it! Hope it allows you to do many more original titles.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work guys, can't wait to play it! Toys R Us has a Bayonetta + Darksiders $40 GC dealio:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248140
  • Filbot
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Congrats to everyone that worked on it. I'm picking up my preorder tonight after I get off work.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    Live gameplay feed going on right now:

http://www.justin.tv/lizardman19#r=wqFiUCQ

- BoBo
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    today, tuesday is the 5th ;)

just picked up my copy, got a lil art book too!! inspirational stuff in there, i cant wait to get home to play it :) nice stuff!!! im excited. edit: i totally want to model and texture some of the stuff in that art book wtf, so awesome!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Definitely buying it!

Played it at e3, and thought it was one of the best games of the show.

:D
  • Taylor Hood
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    Aahh, that was the game. It may not be korean but man...that game.
    I can't remember much but when I played the trial it was deserted (Because it's an old game) and getting to like level 6 took hours.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    the art book it comes with is really nice :) picked up mine during lunch.
  • Filbot
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    the art book it comes with is really nice :) picked up mine during lunch.

Is that comic/art book? I was given mine when I preordered... on Thursday. Or is there a different one?
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    same one i have, about 10 pages of comic and the rest as an art book
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    In the Uk Bayonettas being released same day!!!! which do i play first? arghhhh
  • Firecracker197
    Offline / Send Message
    can you only get the book if you pre-ordered?....I didn't /fail.
  • rv_el
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I've been looking forward to this! I just need some time. I don't know what console to get it for just yet either.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    !!...I've changed my mind..I'll pick it up on Thursday. :)
  • Taylor Hood
    I can't wait for this game. I has all the things I've been looking for in a console game.
    Insanley fun gameplay mechianics, epic boss battles, epic characters, amazing voice acting, kickass back story and so much more.
  • turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    I tried to buy it at the local Gamestop today but they were all sold out :(
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    picked this up tonight and the 1st impressions are great. loooove the chunky look of everything, especially the skull statues you can tell were sculpted with love after the 1st level. the FX work seems pretty nice as well.

the combat also feels really good, lots of good rhythm to it, Im liking it a lot more than dantes inferno so far in terms of combat like God of war.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Unwrapped my copy with excitement as I only had a few minutes to try it out ... introduction with both hand drawn and CGI cinematics was great but .... that first city level is terrible. And combat is not really smooth at all compared to silky Bayonetta. A disappointment so far ...

Will I ever get to see this in the game?
    darksiders.jpg

The armor design of the main dude looks nothing like this ... and the nice antialiasing I see on that screenshot certainly did not make it in the final product ... meh ...
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    So far it's ok. The art is great and the story is interesting, but bad controls (RB to block AND dash??) that seem to require extra fingers and LOTS of screen tearing make me already regret paying full price :(

Pior - Which version do you have? The Xbox version has AA but lots of tearing and the PS3 less to no tearing but no AA. No having cake and eating it too I'm afraid.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    was having fun, but went back to finish out bayonetta :) the crab-claw control scheme is a little wierd, can never quite hit the special moves button when i want to... since i dash everywhere.

I really like the art, though i agree with pior there are definitely some rough areas in that first level :) as a whole though, I really enjoy it, and look forward to playing through it!!
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Combat is frustrating (playing on normal). I'm playing as what you might call a god of war, one that say, might make even a devil cry (heh) and I get that I got my powers stripped away but that doesn't change the fact that I still look like a hulk. I still have a sword twice as tall as me and yet little zombies take 5 swings to kill? Yet those same zombies can be insta-killed with another button press where War basically punches them? That makes little sense.

Everything seems to take far more hits than it ought to. I don't feel badass at all. maybe that will change. But right now I've felt more badass playing as a little elfin boy in green tights a time or two.
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I really like the look of the pieces of art in the game (especially the FX), some of it is really stunningly good. I want to like it enough to buy it, but some things are really turning me off and keeping me from ponying up the cash.

- The main character is completely unsympathetic. He is a soulless emo suit of armor attached to really big sword. His design is "cool" and "uber," but does not resemble a person.

- Cliched does not begin to describe the combat. Maybe it's just me, but I had enough of modern brawler combat half way through the first God of War. I really want to explore the worlds of Wolverine, Arkham, God of War, et al, but I can't bring myself to appreciate the nuanced subtleties of their combat.

- Cliched does not begin to describe the storyworld. I'm pretty sure Joe Mad likes being a creative director so that he can draw whatever cool design comes to mind without really having to really marry it to any kind of believable story world. Whatever is "cool" gets thrown into the mix. Each individual element is extremely attractive, but put together it is nonsensical and unapproachable. The world is full of characterization, but utterly lacking in character, if that makes sense.

So, I'm still on the fence. The art execution is really top notch and I'd love to get a closer look, but I cannot escape the feeling that this game is a vapid supermodel and that I'm better off just looking at movies of on Gametrailers.
  • vargatom
    Heh, you should see the model we did for the cinematics without armor... he's like twice as wide as a man should be ;)

And I do get what you mean about the artwork, although I think it's still having a good amount of consistency. But from what I've seen the dialogue really is taken straight from an adolescents' comic book ;)
  • skankerzero
    After reading through this. I'll hold off on Darksiders for a while.

I figure I'll be playing Bayonetta for the better part of this month and next.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For what its worth, we gave Bayonette 10 minutes at work before shutting it off (a room of 15 of us or so). Dark Siders gets a lot better after the first hour or so.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Dark Siders gets a lot better after the first hour or so.

I agree with Adam about the getting better. Some of the levels in Darksiders look stunning. I'm in this cathedral atm and it looks very polished. I'm enjoying the zelda/God of war style combat and puzzles, breaks up the action. I discovered that the combat isn't just mindless hacking, you can do some really sweet custom combos. I'm really enjoying the game.

I'm kinda lost in the story, but that's fine cause the gameplay keeps me entertained.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I watched a little of it played yesterday, really cool stuff guys :)
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Got it yesterday and played it for a few hours, fucking AWESOME. The 'only' complaint I have is that the controls can get a little funky. Mostly just needing to use buttons that you normally don't...'Oh, it was LB then X, not LT hold X.' But for the finishing moves and stuff, it's easy to anticipate, and the buttons never change...so, it's easy to get over.

The game definitely gets better after you meet the council, I think..so if it doesn't grab you right away, give it some time. Ease into it like an old man in a hot bath.

Was really looking forward to this game and it's not at all disappointing, you guys should be proud. Great stuff :)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    Just found this trailer.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hellbook-iii-darksiders/59688

I modeled and textured Straga's head (The big pissed off guy in the lava) 31 sec in and final texture polish on Trauma (38 sec) and the Jailer (1:11). Original model and textures on those guys are by Gray Ginther, Brian King, and Pio Ravago (Freaking bad asses!)

I'm just waiting on clearance to release some renders.

- BoBo
  • Cheez
    Gray's the man ! I worked with him back during my Insomniac days :)
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Gav wrote: »
    Got it yesterday and played it for a few hours, fucking AWESOME. The 'only' complaint I have is that the controls can get a little funky. Mostly just needing to use buttons that you normally don't...'Oh, it was LB then X, not LT hold X.' But for the finishing moves and stuff, it's easy to anticipate, and the buttons never change...so, it's easy to get over.

The game definitely gets better after you meet the council, I think..so if it doesn't grab you right away, give it some time. Ease into it like an old man in a hot bath.

Was really looking forward to this game and it's not at all disappointing, you guys should be proud. Great stuff :)

This.

Game is freakin' awesome. Only played for a couple hours, but it looks and plays amazing. Controls are kind of cumbersome since I'm used to just pounding on X for this type of game, but I'm getting used to it.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    just picked it up for 360 yesterday. Going to go play now. bye bye
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    That is some seriously good character work.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to comment on the game in this thread by saying.

"War almost looks like the Original TFT Death Knight with the hood.., the game style, fighting style,and Instant killing style, are similer to God of war.....it is interesting how anyone would've missed that out, The interface weapon change menus are like Devil may cry"

but the game is really awsome...means disregard whatever I've just said in Italics.
  • Mark Dygert
    Looks like the game has been banned in the United Arab Emirates, probably more gulf countries to follow... Nice try Jesus! They're on to you!

http://gameslatest.com/2010/01/06/darksiders-gets-the-ban-hammer-in-emirates/

Personally never really thought it would push a christian slant or even be viewed that way. I thought they where a little more open minded about that kind of stuff.
  • Firecracker197
    Offline / Send Message
    thats really dumb, we have games that come out here about different cultures and religions and you dont see us banning them :/
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    We also generally let our women go out in public with more than their eyes showing.
  • Firecracker197
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, actually I could see people here complaining about it too, it seems like you can have a game/movie based on any other religion but once you do one about Christianity everyone freaks out. Im not trying to start a debate here but I wouldnt put it past some people to make a big deal about it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Looks like the game has been banned in the United Arab Emirates, probably more gulf countries to follow... Nice try Jesus! They're on to you!

http://gameslatest.com/2010/01/06/darksiders-gets-the-ban-hammer-in-emirates/

Personally never really thought it would push a christian slant or even be viewed that way. I thought they where a little more open minded about that kind of stuff.

Think of it more like. These type of things are not allowed in Shria-Law to begin with, and they have to draw the line at certain point.
  • BoBo_the_seal
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18

Awesome.

Picked it up Tuesday but I have to wait til the PS3 gets outta the shop (YLoD). Looking forward to it for sure.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I'm working on my first official full on play through and it is a great game. I figure that looks biased since I work at Vigil. I had kept myself away from playing though until it was 100% done and out the door. I'm on the Warhammer 40K team.

Currently I'm at about the 9 hour mark into it and it has been a blast. It seems to leap forward in that fun factor around the time you're in the first full on dungeon "Twilight Cathedral". For me that was my "this is what I'm here for" moment. I think that Ulthane is my favorite character, the giant old one that is the blacksmith and talks with heavy Scottish accent.

A lot of people busted their ass on this one and it shows. There is a tremendous amount of overly talented folks at Vigil. I am amazed at some of the stuff Gray has shown me. Pio Ravago is insane when it comes to painting. I'm fortunate to work with these guys every day.