Home Technical Talk

A question that concerns 3D modeling

This may seem like a stupid question but I would like a few answers if you would care to give me some.
When your creating something in a 3D modeling program do you build against a back ground picture like this ?
I'm curious as to if everyone does this.

2wdyh3b.jpg

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    If I have them, yeah. Be careful using images that aren't completely orthographic (which most photographs aren't), as this may result in perspective issues when modeling. I typically try and amass as much reference as possible of an object, use the closest thing to orthographic as I have to rough in the silhouette and key forms, and use the other images to complete the secondary detail.
  • psychoticprankster
    danshewan wrote: »
    If I have them, yeah. Be careful using images that aren't completely orthographic (which most photographs aren't), as this may result in perspective issues when modeling. I typically try and amass as much reference as possible of an object, use the closest thing to orthographic as I have to rough in the silhouette and key forms, and use the other images to complete the secondary detail.
    I was thinking of drawing 2D pictures of parts with alot of details and then scaning them into the pc and then using them, and then using the other pictures and photos as references like you do.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I was thinking of drawing 2D pictures of parts with alot of details and then scaning them into the pc and then using them, and then using the other pictures and photos as references like you do.

Sounds like a solid approach, though there's always the argument whether 3D artists should use their own concept art. Aaron went over this in the Games Industry Mentor podcast episode about portfolios, and it raises some pretty good points.

A lot of concept artists create at least one orthographic view of an object if the art is intended for a modeler, and if you're good enough to create concept art that's going to do the project justice, go for it. Personally, I look for existing concept art of an object or scene I want to create purely because I'm not a concept artist and as such I want to create the very best result that I can. If I used my own drawings, I'd be limiting the potential result because of my own ability.

Not trying to turn you off using your own drawings or anything, but I find this debate an interesting one.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Interesting question, in the worst case scenario you have one view of an object and it may be completely perspective, sometimes it can be hard working like this.
    In this case you can see that the gun is angled slightly towards the viewer as the top of the butt is visible, this may mean that the handle and later other parts you are modelling may be slightly too short.

You seem to be going about it the right way, just don't add any minor detail and don't try to follow every little curve of the silhouette, get everything blocked out first - nice and chunky style.
    Do some ao or other shadowed renders to check the scale of the independant parts against each other, then create a small scene with a teapot on a table and place the gun. This should help overcome any other scale problem.
  • psychoticprankster
    GCMP wrote: »
    Interesting question, in the worst case scenario you have one view of an object and it may be completely perspective, sometimes it can be hard working like this.
    In this case you can see that the gun is angled slightly towards the viewer as the top of the butt is visible, this may mean that the handle and later other parts you are modelling may be slightly too short.

You seem to be going about it the right way, just don't add any minor detail and don't try to follow every little curve of the silhouette, get everything blocked out first - nice and chunky style.
    Do some ao or other shadowed renders to check the scale of the independant parts against each other, then create a small scene with a teapot on a table and place the gun. This should help overcome any other scale problem.

When you say don't add any minor details, do you mean things like screws and scratchs and stuff like that ?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Kind of like this...

Untitled-1.jpg

//I'm a bit of a visual example freak, so you'll have to excuse me :p//

Block out all the parts similar to the lhs, doesn't have to be fancy, then once everything is in proportion do all the bevelling, insetting etc after that make screws and little stuff like shallow grooves. So basically start off huge and get the shape and then refine getting smaller and smaller details included in your design.

btw unless this gun is going to be mega dammaged you could easily get away with using a normal map instead of modelling scratches in zbrush/mudbox, might be something to think about.
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you say don't add any minor details, do you mean things like screws and scratchs and stuff like that ?

I believe he says that because if you block it out first, do a proportions check, and find that they are off, you won't have to work around all of the small detail to fix it.

As for myself, anytime I have to create something like a gun, I can usually find a decent sideview picture and end up going by it for the most part. but you also need to be aware of the width of the object as well so make sure you have a good prospective shot.

As far as using concepts, I would have to say that, unless you are planning on changing the shape of the object, if you have a good sideview shot stick to the real thing.
  • psychoticprankster
    Thanks for all the good advice guys :) I apreciate it.