Home General Discussion

So you walk into a bar and A........walks in.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
So I was recently realizing alot of Polycounters who I thought were way up in the food chain and alot older then me were around the same age range. And I got to thinking of fun things people like to do. And usually like most 20 something year olds its going out and having a Good drink.

Now normally my dad and I use to drink Scotch growing up (johnny walker black) (And Ebagg can tell you of my mixing of Drinks and rums at his parties) But I really grew a taste for dark beers.

And I realized how many beers where out there. So I wanted to get a intellectual survey of Good recommended beers to try.

Now I had a beer called crowninburg (Im probably butchering that spelling) that was awesome, it was a light amber. But I usually drink Dark Ales That have a more sweet/ not so bitter taste. But Its really hit or miss. What do you guys think is the good drink of choice?

(THIS PART ONLY FOR THE PEOPLE OF WASHINGTON , And all you suckers who are around here once we hear some good answers lets go to the belgium beer hall in freemont and try some of these!!)

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I am just going to post some of the good brands. most of their beers are always good.

Fat Tire: http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/fat-tire

Ommegang: http://www.ommegang.com/

Three Floyds: http://www.3floyds.com/ The three floyds beers are really unique. They just kinda grab whatever is laying around and make beer out of it. :)

Bell's: http://www.bellsbeer.com/
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its kronenbourg, you mean?

You can try an Old Speckled Hen, English fine ale.

Americans and drinking, hahaha
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    The light amber beer you had was most probably Kronenburg (I'm not a massive fan but it's all my Dutch friend drinks.) I'm a little odd in that I'm not a fan of most lager/beer but I'm a huge fan of ales. Usually I'll drink Bombardier, London Pride or Speckled Hen where my brother works (Most pubs don't stock it). However the best ale I've ever had was from a distillery in the countryside near to where my Uncle lives. It's unique to that distillery and it was called "The Dogs Bollocks" (no joke), something like 16% vol. It was insane.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    kronenbourg no, hobgoblin= win!

I normally just go around trying all local brews as the taste is much much better, I dont know about local brews in the states but in the uk we have a mighty fine selection. Come on over and enjoy.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    chrizz1 wrote: »
    kronenbourg no, hobgoblin= win!

Aye, and you can't go wrong with Bishop's Finger either.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i'm a fan of the whole allagash brewery
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    So you like dark beers and Ale- Black and Tan must be what you are looking for :) mmmm I cant get that where I live now damn it.
    My favorite beer is Hoegaarden and most of the Belgium's brands and exactly after that comes the Magners
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why go to a belgium bar for beer? that's like going to the [kind of not so good comparsion, sorry]. if you can get an import i highly recommend you to try Darmst
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if you are into dark beers and and like the Belgiums, there are lots of great ones. Dont know how accessible they are everywhere, but you should be able to find them in most major cities I'd think.

Gulden Draak - Godly beer. Dark, full of flavour and all around amazing
    Rochefort 8 - Another amazing Belgium, again dark and full of flavour.
    XO - If you are up for something a bit different look for this, it's a great cognac beer. You can definitely taste the cognac, and the beer, which I think is awesome!

Those are just 3 of my favourites, but generally with the belgiums you are pretty safe getting any (Not hoegaarden and stuff, it's not bad, but look for the non-mass-market stuff). But yea, I've gone through a full 4 page Belgian beer menu at a local pub, and almost all of them were top notch.

For other stuff... there's so many and I'm at work so I'll keep it short.

Rogue - Awesome american microbrews. They do all kinds of good stuff
    Pyramid - Again some awesome american microbrews, pretty safe buying from them
    Innis & Gunn - Tasty English beer brewed in Scotch casks, I love it. :D

Anyways, back to work, I may post a more extensive list later.

By the way, if you really want to get into good beers I suggest seeking out a good beer store with knowlegable staff. There's a lot to look for in a good beer, and if you can find a good place they'll have a better selection of microbrews and harder to find stuff (98% of the mass market stuff is shit), and will be able to direct you to the stuff you want. I find that my tastes change depending on my mood. If you are like that good staff will be able to point you in the direction you want to go, which is especially useful if you are just getting into beer. :)

Oh, and just thought of another company I really like... not positive the name is right, but I think it's Dogfish Head or something. They make some awesome stuff. If you see Midas' Touch it's a fun one to try. Based on the residue found in the bottom of a jug in what they believe is King Midas' tomb if I remember right. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimay Blue
    a2_a1_fbleue.jpg
    A little expensive but at 9% alc and 75 cl its worth it, especially for how great of a beer it is.

But mostly I just go brew my own at a little place in Edmonds, after a few times you start to get creative and brew almost exactly what you want.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second that Vig, Chimay is awesome. (The Red and White are both also very good, though I like Blue most as well I think)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimay (blue's my favourite), Duvel, Westmalle (tripel's good, but then... they all are), grimbergen, hoegaarden (a white beer with a slightly lemoney taste. A fantastic summer-beer when pulled the right way, into a frosted glass), Westvleteren (Especially 12!), La Chouffe, Bush, Delirium Tremens, Orval, ...

Basically, Belgian Trappist ales, which are the most genuine of abbey beers you'll find, as well as being terribly delicious!

edit: Tulkamir - Belgian, but good suggestions nevertheless ;)
    If I'm ever in Canadium we should have some drinks!
    E-freak, careful what you say now, heh
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely agree with Hoegaarden! There used to be a pub near me that had it on tap, good times while it was there.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    <edit> d'oh just realized you said you prefer a stronger malt (sweet) than hops (bitter), still give these a try, they don't have skunkweed bitterness of Heineken

I mostly drink Dogfish Head brews:

if you like hops give their 60, 90 and 120 minute IPAs, they have a higher ABV (alcohol by volume) and IBU (international bittering unit aka hoppiness) than most beers so be prepared.

Raison D'Etre is a good smooth drinking Ale, it's got 8% ABV so it'll still kick you in the pants a bit

Indian Brown Ale is a cool hybrid ale, malty and hoppy at the same time

another nice beer I've only seen once was Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan, it's a nut brown ale brewed with pecans.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Tulkamir - Belgian, but good suggestions nevertheless ;)
    If I'm ever in Canadium we should have some drinks!

Ahaha, woops! That was silly of me. Absolutely come on over and we can find some tasty brews!

Justin - I totally agree about the dogfish head IPAs, I love that stuff. I'm a big fan of really bitter, hoppy beer. There was one Imperial IPA I had recently that was awesome, I just wish I could remember which one it was. :P
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Title fail

haha yea total title fail I wrote Your instead of you :p
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    all beers taste terrible.

Rum is where its at! Although since moving up here to Seattle I cant find a single store that sells anything but Wine or Beer except for bars. WHAT IS WITH THIS TOWN!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Rogue Chocolate Stout

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan

Hoegaarden

Flying Dog Old Scratch

I, myself, like a Guiness, or a half-and-half with Guiness and something els.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Okocim Stout
    Mac N Jacks Amber
    Redhook (all good)
    Blue Moon
    Widmer Hefe
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    Arrogant Bastard Ale

We should have a polycount meetup/ bar run on Capitol Hill and definitely hit up the Stumbling Monk, tiny place with rare but awesome strong beers! I haven't been in awhile but this thread is definitely making me thirsty for some! Also the Malt & Vine in Redmond has great beer selection, sort of a grocery store/beer tasting joint I haven't been to but heard many great things. Another great place is the Taphouse, great happy hour, tons o beers on tap.

Autocon- You have to goto Liquor Stores in WA, here we have the shitty Liquor Control Board!
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, most of the time I drink La Chouffe, very nice beer(comes blond and dark, i like the blond). I also like Maredsous, Delirium, Palm.

When I was in Seattle, I drank pale ale called ESB or EFB, something like that I think?? I really liked that beer, never saw it in the Netherlands though.

Oh and I am big fan of whiskey. If you like whiskey with a strong flavor try Aberlour a'bunadh (beware of the 60% alcohol though). If you want a smooth drinking whiskey go for Scappa, Longmorn or Dimple. Those are my favorites.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    from the well known stronghold of beer, i'd say the best dark beer comes not from germany
    i think it was a Czech beer or something (i dont really remember but hits the shops usually in autumn)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    charger wrote: »

When I was in Seattle, I drank pale ale called ESB or EFB, something like that I think?? I really liked that beer, never saw it in the Netherlands though.

You're likely thinking of Redhook ESB, which is awesome, and brewed near Seattle in Woodinville. The Redhook Brewery is great, a delicious restaraunt with a beer-oriented menu, they give tours of the brewery for $1 during which you sample a bunch of their flavors, and during the summer they have a huge patio open and weekly they'll turn the lawn into a movie theater to watch movies like the Big Lebowski while enjoying BEER! It's like an amusement park for BEER!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why isn't this thread about scotch?

Macallan's 10 year and Bowmore darkest (a new favorite of mine after a deadline crunch with a scotsman who swore by it).
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To respect I love Rum and Scotch but Scotch is not 100% a casual drink, Beer seems to be more common a drink in a social circle versus a rum and scotch (But I love them!)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    While it's not a whisky thread, if you do want to learn more about Scottish whisky then you may find this graph useful:

Flavour_Map_LFW.jpg

(taken from here: https://www.lfw.co.uk/diageo/flavourmap.html)

I had always found the Ardbeg and Talisker too smoky for me, but liked the Glenkinchie and Glenlivet, and know I understand why. This has helped me explore more whiskys that I'll probably like.

As for beer, I'm a great fan of Krušovice, both light and dark. Erdinger Dunkel Weiss is a great dark beer from Germany. Germany is also home to Paulaner, and they make a few great beers.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ebagg wrote: »
    Autocon- You have to goto Liquor Stores in WA, here we have the shitty Liquor Control Board!

bah I was afraid this was the case, what a silly thing to have.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    my current favourite is Konig Ludwig, a german weissbier literally brewed by royalty - unfortunately i only know one place that has it on tap and i can't find a bottle of it anywhere.

btw, i never thought i'd live to see the day that kronenburg was described as "awesome". Tramp's piss. And from not a very nice tramp, at that.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, check out Beer Advocate, it's a good source for beer reviews and other beer information.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    My local serves something called "harry porter"

never tried it.

If you can pick up Japanese brewed Asahi it's worth the price of entry. (not the filth that's brewed by licensed brewers, terrible)
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Chimay is awesome.
    Since moving to Boston I was stunned at their absolute failure in beer(they also totally fail in coffee except for in Nantucket they have an AWESOME coffee house):
    Dubel, Leffe, Grimbergen Double (Dubbel), and if you can't find those get Sam Adams...for a domestic beer in the Boston area that's pretty much the best, and only thing you'll find.

Growing up in Seattle I really got into:
    Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber, Mac and Jacks, and when I was in college (Western Washington Univ) up in Bellingham they had a brewery, Boundary Bay. They make an oatmeal stout that is to die for.
    B
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell wrote: »
    Growing up in Seattle I really got into:
    Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber, Mac and Jacks, and when I was in college (Western Washington Univ) up in Bellingham they had a brewery, Boundary Bay. They make an oatmeal stout that is to die for.
    B
    All those are great and most are found locally in just about every restaurant and bar which is great.

http://www.stonebrew.com/12th/ale/default.htm
    Speaking of oatmeal stouts, I had a few bottles of this given to me last year, not sure if you can still get it but it was awesome! I feared oatmeal and chocolate would make it some kind of fruity beer, that needed a tiny paper umbrella... but it was fantastic.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoegaarden330ml.jpg

this stuff is like nector for me (sorry if already mentioned)
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I'll second and third the hoengaarden and add Blue moon - one of my favorites. I forgot who mentioned it but Ommegang is good and it is actually made not too far from my home growing up!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Oh ya! I completely forgot I had a serious Blue Moon addiction when I first moved out to the Boston area. Also, agree with Hoegaarden...good stuff!

Vig: I'll definitely check that stuff out. The bars out here are pretty pathetic for beer availability (No Tap House...Nothing like that bar in Bellevue with the like 100+ taps, and oh how I miss Seattle bars. *single tear*.). However, the liquor stores in Boston stock the goods...and a small local restaurant brings in all kinds of awesome new beers:)
    B
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    @: ebagg, thats the one I mean, great beer!!!

Oooh a lot of you guys like hoegaarden blond! maybe you guys should try Hertog Jan - weizener (dont forget the WEIZENER part, because I think you have other blond beers)

Ofcourse you also have dark beers from Hertog Jan and Leffe
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive never liked Leffe, didnt like the after taste.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a few of my personal favs. Pictures so you can find them. Some are a bit hard to find. Some are very easy to find. They're all good however :)

Kozlak%20Amber.jpg

newcastle_brown_ale.jpg

kilkenny-400-400.jpg
    peterswinterale.jpg <- One of the best I've ever had.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to be a big Newcastle fan but now I consider it just an OK brown ale, has a mass produced taste to it.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell wrote: »
    Since moving to Boston I was stunned at their absolute failure in beer (they also totally fail in coffee except for in Nantucket they have an AWESOME coffee house).

Haha, I remember being horrified by both the beer and coffee when I lived in Boston. I remember having a drink in the Purple Shamrock right after I had my interview with the INS and some guy was raving about Sam Adams, and I swear, I could barely finish it. And hey, the coffee ain't that bad, as long as you like Dunkin' Donuts... :)

First thing I did when I got back to London was go to a pub for a pint and man, it was like having McDonald's after years of dieting.

This time, I'm going to do my research so I don't end up drinking Natural Ice. Are liquor stores still closed on Sundays in Mass?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, Sam Adams is good training wheels to get people away from Bud but I can't go back to it now, too watery and light on flavor.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Rum + Beef Jerky plz

Blue Moon, Anchor Steam, Hefeweizen, I prefer the pale. To my eternal Irish shame, I just don't like Guiness...
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    To my eternal Irish shame, I just don't like Guiness...

I don't like Guinness on it's own, but I love a Black Velvet.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    GULDEN DRAAK!!!

Gulden_Draak_Large.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok you know what lets Turn this into a "Beer Log" Or something With the title :p

Some of these drinks are great I think we need a

"Poly-Beer-Count"

Anyone up for a adventure in fine drinking? :D
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Kronenbourg is French Budweiser. It tastes almost identical to Stella Artois, but without that bloated feeling you get.

My favorite beer on the planet is still a microbrewed 'Granville Island Pale Ale' found only in Vancouver. Otherwise I stick to Kroenenberg and Stella.

Default to Corona or Dos Equis.

Sometimes I'll go for a Heineken, or any asian beer (which seems to taste exactly like Heineken - Kirin, Sapporo, Asahi)

:D

If you like it dark, you should try some of the microbrewed stuff in quebec. Tastes like you're drinking a steak, and it feels like your liver is actually tasting it. Dieu de Ciel, or the Unibroue Maudite.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

If you like it dark, you should try some of the microbrewed stuff in quebec. Tastes like you're drinking a steak, and it feels like your liver is actually tasting it. Dieu de Ciel, or the Unibroue Maudite.

1256721834785.jpg

*gasp
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    All you need is Guinness! :D
    Redhook is good. Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber, some of the DogFishHead brews.

I like a few blonde brews as well, like Spaten and Harp. A local brewery in Reno (Silverpeak) had an awesome one called XXX Golden Blonde, which really hit the spot.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my favorites is a Belgium Trappist called the Chimay Triple, I believe it is the Chimay Cinq Cents. I had it while I was in Austin during GDC and it was amazing! Still trying to find a place here in FL that has it.