Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Iceman - Megaman Robot Master Remake

I just looked at Goldensly topic http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68615&highlight=Megaman and will also be joining in.

I am creating a Iceman remake and need some feedback. The poly limit is 10k and I am floating around 1k at the moment.

Fast Concept.
Iceman01.jpg

And here is the model as of right now.
Iceman023d.jpg

Iceman033d.jpg

Iceman013d-1.jpg

I am not sure what to post for help, but if you need some more pictures I be happy to post some more.

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    What makes robots interesting now a days is how much detail you can put into it in the works... like the boots of your character could be more mechanized and not look like boots he slips on.

http://www.templates.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/6-the-tiny-robot.jpg

I know that robot is way high on the polycount but you can get my idea.... i think with lowpoly specially the silhouette of the character its what defines it and makes it interesting. you have plenty of space to improve, like details in the wrists and shoulders. You have a good start and i think this could turn out pretty awesome.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to shabby, off to a decent start.

Crits:
    Hands:
    Anatomy and deformation should guide you as you layout your loops. The hand is a little lacking both =/
    - Fingers radiate and fan out from the wrist they don't jut out of the wrist like the prongs on a pitch fork and they don't line up on the first knuckle like sprinters in a race.
    - Don't think of the palm as a solid block the fingers grow from. Notice on the skeleton hand that the finger digits start at the wrist but are covered in webbing and muscle.
    - Notice because the fingers actually start at the wrist the middle finger metacarpal is actually longer, which pushes that first middle finger knuckle joint out farther past the others.

HandsPaintOver.gif

Work flow Suggestion:
    - Simple rig tests at this stage will help you work these issues out. Its better to discover and work out these flaws now rather than after its unwrapped and you have to hack back into the geo, screwing up your unwrap.
    - Even if never plan on animating this character, it will help you grow in your knowledge of what is expected and how the next guy down the line has to deal with.

The wrist and twists:
    - From the hand going back into the forearm, it should have a few loops to help smooth the transition when the hand rotates, otherwise it will candy wrapper. The actual human forearm has two bones that twist, this allows your hand to rotate. It's impossible to rotate your hand at the wrist without moving these two bones in your forearm.

You test this out by placing your hand on your desk palm down, then try to hold your wrist flat to the desk while you rotate your palm up. If you feel around your forearm as you move your wrist you'll notice those bones rotating.

This is really hard to create on a rig but we get around it by using twist bones which rotate a fraction of the distance the hand bone rotates with each subsequent twist bone rotating less and less. This spreads the transition down the arm. Kind of tricky to skin, but you don't really need to worry about it, just know that loops down the forearm can provide form and function at the same time so they aren't a waste.

The boots:
    - They missing the big white block on the toe, it really helped to chunk up the feet in the concept and should be modeled on instead of painted on.
    - Right now they look like little loaves of bread, again ref of feet, footware, mech feet, these would all help shape the feet.

Observation and recreation are key and probably the single most important skill any artist animator or programmer will ever have.
  • r3ppr490n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vig!

I worked on the hand and feet. I hope I did those right.

Iceman053d.jpg

Iceman043d-1.jpg

Edit:
    I added loops to the wrist and arm, not sure if this is what Vig wanted me to do.
    Iceman073d.jpg