Home General Discussion

Dragon Age

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    that's hilarious Ott. gotta love ignorance.

it's very early in the game (maybe 3% in?), and I didn't run into any issue like that at all. Unless he had a character with the 'Pin Arrow' skill (basically roots them in place) I'm not sure why the enemy wasn't moving. oh well :P

edit:

I'm now 8.5 hours played.. which is = to 9% of the game beaten, 14% of the world explored. O_O
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to buy it until i saw there was no multiplayer.

Can't play a dnd style game alone.
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generic, repeating bloodstains looks dumb indeed.
    Maybe that can be deactivated..Sometimes less is more.
    I like char modeling overally, even the chunky females... they're fighter after all, gotta look strong (kinda tired of skinny soft model girls wielding huge swords with baby arms and that shite)
    I ve loved NWN, I'm looking forward to play this one!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Love it, especially the Fade realm :D
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    Just as a note to everyone complaining about the blood while in conversation (looks dumb as hell I'l admit) - there is a checkbox in the options menu allowing it to be turned off. The blood effects are still there in battle (which makes sense) but fade afterwards; meaning you don't have to sit through conversations while your chars are splattered in generic tomato ketchup.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    dunno, i like the excessive tomato ketchup. makes the game less sterile.
    but i've had some AI trouble. pathfinding issues, where the AI gets stuck on a wall and just stop dead if i give them a too complex path to follow. also had some challenges with the tactics system.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dejawolf wrote: »
    dunno, i like the excessive tomato ketchup. makes the game less sterile.
    but i've had some AI trouble. pathfinding issues, where the AI gets stuck on a wall and just stop dead if i give them a too complex path to follow. also had some challenges with the tactics system.

yeah, the pathfinding gets a little lost if you give it some twists and turns to go around, it's kinda silly.

my only issue with the combat is that I don't know of a button I can press to just make my default character just 'attack', what I mean is: in combat after issuing some orders, sometimes if you just kill one enemy your selected character won't go and auto attack on any other, you have to manually click it, which can be difficult when theres a high density of characters in one area.. it's just kinda annoying to have to pause and zoom out a little so you can actually right click who you want.. it's a little nit picky but that's honestly like the worst thing I can say so far after 10 hours playing lol.

and okay, yeah.. the tactics system.. it's better just to do 90% of your moves manually.

and LOL if you run into a revenant!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Man this game gets addictive after a while. I was abit skeptical at first but damn i only got like 2 hours worth of sleep tonight :|
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Same Martin!, hoooly shit. The first couple hours were kind of slow and I was like eh this game is alright, then things picked up and it started getting really good and now I can't stop playing it. Man so good.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if i were to describe Dragon Age, i'd have to say:

it's neverwinter nights, repackaged.

by that, i mean the gameplay is completely, 100% identical. we all know bioware can weave a good tale, that they can get you into any story they tell. but you'd have thought they'd push the bar a little and try to introduce some kind of new mechanic...

that said, it seems like they've cleaned up the engine a lot, it runs much smoother than NWN2.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if i were to describe Dragon Age, i'd have to say:

it's neverwinter nights, repackaged.

by that, i mean the gameplay is completely, 100% identical. we all know bioware can weave a good tale, that they can get you into any story they tell. but you'd have thought they'd push the bar a little and try to introduce some kind of new mechanic...

that said, it seems like they've cleaned up the engine a lot, it runs much smoother than NWN2.

I don't agree at all. It feels way less sterile and copy-pasta-ed than neverwinter nights did (although I admit I didn't play the second one, the first one really turned me off). There are unique mechanics everywhere, the baldur's gate style 'crazy-boss-in-the-middle-of-nowhere' thing (got revenants?), and a world that is far more engaging than NWN ever was.

Neverwinter felt really simple and sterile to me. I was also skeptical of the first couple of hours, but now it's feeling more like BG1+2 every minute.

Also completely hooked.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ok i should have been more specific and said NWN2.

but you can't say "unique mechanic", and then quote something which was pioneered in another game. my point wasn't so much the encounters, but the control system. even playing through the harder difficulties the game is easy because it's played the same way as: BG, BG2, NWN, Icewind Dale, NWN2, KoTOR, KoTOR2....

essentially, it's the same game, with a different story.

don't get me wrong, i think it's executed fantastically. but it just feels like what NWN2 should have been. ie. more polished, but nothing new.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Man, this game is making me question myself. I've never liked RPGs. The closest thing to an RPG that I can say I truly enjoyed throughout the whole thing is Diablo and Oblivion. But I saw an old GTTV episode on this game, and a couple of reviews now that it's out, and it's really intriguing me... I don't even know if I'd enjoy the gameplay in the least, but the world and the story and everything just seems to beckon me. Argh! Stupid good games... What do I do..?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I've just finished an all day marathon of this game haha....it's freaking great in my mind. There are a few things I'm not a huge fan of, but otherwise it's probably one of the best written and most engrossing RPGs I've ever seen. There are SOOOOO many layers to this game - the characters, the environments....it's very very well done and you will find yourself playing and playing just to get that oooooone more quest.

I'm at about 25 hours and not even 20% done yet!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    would have finished it last night if it wasn't so fucking buggy, spent ages stood around waiting with nothing to do for it to trigger the quest updates or to send the next wave of enemies in, and then it decided to bloody freeze while i was fighting the boss >_<
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    "so buggy"? (I'm playing on PC)

I consider myself a champion bug-finder and I've only seen two so far - 1 instance of volume / trigger detection where I had to run around and then run back for the NPC to detect me and trigger the cut scene, and maybe once or twice I've seen the AI get caught in a wall if they are on auto-attack mode (which as you progress you will have a really hard time using much of)

As for the PC version I've found it to be pretty damn polished so far.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ott, it seems this time around the console versions were shafted.

btw, the female demon models make up for anything that looks even slightly bad in this game, they are gorgeous! <3
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Indeed, it feels like a legitimate PC title this time around. Although I feel bad for console users - it's too good of a game to suffer from a bad port.

Damn, I feel like I'm playing Baldur's Gate II once again (although DA is not as good) and that's a great thing.
    The random banter is hilarious and the battles are surprisingly hard. I had to drop down my difficulty slider a few times, which never happened to me in a Bioware game before.
    It's certainly much better than anything they released over the past few years.

Still, I can't understand why they would choose such terrible marketing scheme - if it wasn't for these terrible trailers I would have pre-ordered it and that's something I do very rarely.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Marine wrote: »
    would have finished it last night if it wasn't so fucking buggy, spent ages stood around waiting with nothing to do for it to trigger the quest updates or to send the next wave of enemies in, and then it decided to bloody freeze while i was fighting the boss >_<

lol 360 version.

yeah I saw you on!

that stinks though :(
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i should have been more specific and said NWN2.

but you can't say "unique mechanic", and then quote something which was pioneered in another game. my point wasn't so much the encounters, but the control system. even playing through the harder difficulties the game is easy because it's played the same way as: BG, BG2, NWN, Icewind Dale, NWN2, KoTOR, KoTOR2....

essentially, it's the same game, with a different story.

don't get me wrong, i think it's executed fantastically. but it just feels like what NWN2 should have been. ie. more polished, but nothing new.

When I say 'unique mechanic', I'm referring to a one-off quest that required special programmer, AI and or UI time to pull off. The stuff in circle tower would be a good example of that. Unique compared to the bread-and-butter quest of the main game.

Saying the gameplay is the same as KOTOR or NWN means I'm not sure we have much more to discuss, because IMO it's pretty far away from that. NWN was bland in every way, combat being no different. BG1 was great for combat, while BG2 was fantastic. KOTOR was great, but also had a very different combat style than the BG series, which was likely due to the 3rd person locked view setup.

Maybe playing the console version is what's giving you the KOTOR feel? If so, that's too bad. The PC version is very much BG3.

My complains are mainly camera related (once I get far enough out, it's at too steep an angle and I can't see enough forward, so I'm constantly switching back and forth... maybe that was intentional though) and AI related (FFFUUUUUUU tactics menu!), but both of those are minor. The game does too much else very right.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I played a bit this weekend - totally awesome game. Finally a decent fantasy RPG in a while.

When I was playing, I was thinking - how in the hell would this play on a console? I cant even imagine the controls. As far as looting, attacking enemies.. Do they give you a cursor you have to move around with a thumbstick? I remember playing Starcraft on the Sega Saturn and that shit was just abysmal.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    probably plays like mass effect controls, Im guessing
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    about 5 or 6 hours in and I am VERY conflicted, hate the dialogue, the over use of words, the stilted effiminate prose is really annoying and the huge blood splatters if I pick my nose even seem so misplaced.

I'm still playing and hoping the talking to hitting ratio balances out better as I go!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah... the areas seem super hit and miss... so far i went to the elf place and redcliffe... i really dug the elf place and the story there and how it played out, it was cool and totally friggin epic for being the first place i went to. then i went to redcliffe and DANG that place sucked BALLZ, so dumb, i never felt like they really gave me an option to do what i wanted, and it was just overall extremely unsatisfying. And then there's sulcher's pass... which in the tooltip says that its ... the shortest path to Orlais... and when i get there there's some kinda tree blocking the way and a dude with a DLC quest... with no explanation whatsoever of why i can't go to Orlais, i mean i understand why they would just restrict things to Ferelden, but whats the point of teasing me with this location, making me think i can go there when i can't and not giving me ANY explanation of why thats even ON the map...?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    about 5 or 6 hours in and I am VERY conflicted, hate the dialogue, the over use of words

Welcome to fantasy rpg land :) Honestly it was worse back before these games had in-game voice dialogues. Morrowind still gives me the chills.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished it this morning, around 30 hours including a bunch of side quests.
    it's a good game, can't deny that, but after fallout3, i expected bioware to attempt to trump it, but it feels like a step back. i'll probably wait for mass effect 2 to drop in price now, my faith in them is shaken :/
    still, got demon's souls to play in the mean time and assassins creed 2 next week
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    it's a good game, can't deny that, but after fallout3, i expected bioware to attempt to trump it, but it feels like a step back. i'll probably wait for mass effect 2 to drop in price now, my faith in them is shaken :/
    still, got demon's souls to play in the mean time and assassins creed 2 next week

ME2 is going to be amazing as hell, calling it now :P

and wtf - 30 hours? that's it? what's your % completed? I'm 10 hours in and barely 10%.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wow really? Fallout 3 always felt like a step back to me, after years of Bioware/Black Isle games. I played it because I needed an RPG, but it never felt particularily good to me.

It seems like you come from one of three schools of thought in regards to rpgs, and its usually the one that you played first that chooses for you: obsidian/bethesda, bioware/black isle, sqaure enix/general jrpgs.

I'm also a little stunned at 30 hours. I've got to be near 20 and I'm just getting started.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I'm in about 40hrs and I'm only at 45%. You must have been crushing through in a big way.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    52% completion
    91% world explored
    apparently you've got to do all the origins and stuff to get a higher completion

never felt like i was burning through it that fast, it sucks you in while you're playing, and nearly everywhere i went was related to the main quest, there was no wandering off in the the middle of ferelden to see what was there, exploration is part of the fun in rpgs for me.
    it's definitely something you want to play on pc if you want the most out of it, feels like they built a world, told the story they wanted to and left the rest to the mod community
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Just finished it too after about 45hrs, and I am thorough. It was epic right up to the landsmeet and then its like they were trying to force a 10 foot wide square peg into a 2 inch round hole. From landsmeet on its all forced and you get the feeling that whatever dialogue you choose won't make a fucking difference in the end. This has to be one of the worst endings to a game I have ever seen. The end would have suited a movie well (non interactive entertainment) but this is a game for fuck sake we need to feel like our actions will make a difference.

My origional verdict was that this is an epic RPG now its more like an epic fail thanks to a totaly lame ending (yes, ALL the endings are weak).
  • Wahlgren
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Man playing this has really got me thirsty for more RPG action, like always after i have finished one. There is a huge lack of good ones tho but im wondering if anyone has any good tips? Maybe list your top5 and ill see if i can find some new good ones :p Here is mine:

1. Fallout 2
    2. BG1
    3. Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
    4. Planescape Torment
    5. BG 2
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found an interesting series of articles about DA through Digital kicks via gamasutra;
    starts with a look at the trailer then covers everything from gamplay and graphics to what an rpg actually is. I found the generic fantasy the most interesting/relevant, but still a good read.

and quote of the day: My character is now a born again common sexy goth lady dwarf rogue with a heart of gold.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Well, I caved and picked this up the other day, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I opted for a city elf rogue, and I've got to admit combat has been a real challenge. I'm glad that I have to really consider what talents and spells to use at several points in a fight to stay alive, as opposed to just crushing through everyone. Definitely feels more rewarding after a well-fought battle.

I'm only level 10 right now, but it's definitely felt like the most truly 'epic' RPG I've played in a long time. Mechanically, it does feel a hell of a lot like NWN2, but I really enjoyed that, so it's all good.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Martin: tried Ultima 7, Serpent Isle? It's old and DOS (runs via Exult emu though) but it's definitely in a league with games like Planescape.

Other game I really liked is The Witcher. Combat ain't exciting but it's a nice break from the old cliche story telling with its "obvious good choice" / "obvious bad choice" sort of plots.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Man playing this has really got me thirsty for more RPG action, like always after i have finished one. There is a huge lack of good ones tho but im wondering if anyone has any good tips? Maybe list your top5 and ill see if i can find some new good ones :p Here is mine:

1. Fallout 2
    2. BG1
    3. Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
    4. Planescape Torment
    5. BG 2

you might know this one, or didn't like it, but since you played bloodlines I have to put:

Arcanum
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    vampire the masquerade - redemption was way better than bloodlines in my opinion. And they already had the "revolutionary new bioware dialogue cam (TM)" ten years ago. :P

Dragon age is fun, playing as a human noble rogue. The whole thing gets played in babysteps, since i don't have time for this kind of game anymore. It got a little easy after morrigan learned cone of cold, you could basically freeze anyone and smash them to bits...
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I've really been enjoying this so far, but I have to say, the way my battles have been playing out, I don't understand why the darkspawn are such a huge threat. Groups of them fall like dominoes when I fight them, but I get my ass gangraped whenever I fight a similarly-sized group of human bandits. D:

The Stone Prisoner quest was lots of fun, though, and the extra character you get from it is great. Love some of the dialogue with him.

The incidental dialogue between your party members (when you're just walking around) is pretty well done, too, especially between Morrigan and Alistair.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to try this out, but if only it had more ME like action rather than point-and-click and watch your char fight. No, I know you can use spells or moves or whatever, but I prefer to actually move around and do the killing myself.

I am waiting for ME2 tbh. I haven't read anything about it yet, so as to not spoil it, I really hope it's good.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Other game I really liked is The Witcher. Combat ain't exciting but it's a nice break from the old cliche story telling with its "obvious good choice" / "obvious bad choice" sort of plots.

+ 1 for The Witcher. Good story, well-written dialogue and nice graphics but very linear compared to other RPG's. Also a little light on loot, if you're into that sorta thing.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Just finished playing through Dragon Age. 36% complete 86% explored in 47 hours. Just played through with one character as a human Arcane Warrior. Really like having Shale in the party, he added some much needed humor to the game. If this had co-op it could make it so much more fun but I still really enjoyed it. Nice to play a updated version of Baldur's Gate. The ending felt a bit rushed.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first thing I thought after playing a little while was 'wow, it's way more engaging than NWN2 - no way I'll get bored of this towards the end like I did with NWN2', which I actually never bothered to finish because I got so bored of it by the end. Strangely enough, exactly the same thing happened with Dragon Age.

After the awesomeness of gathering the army,
    like the temple to recover Andraste's ashes and the Deep Roads, the whole Landsmeet scenario missions were just bullshit.
    Obviously there had to be a strong story element to it to progress from gathering the army to fighting the Blight, but to go from some great dungeons and epic-feeling quests, to some very dry dialogue scenes to
    fighting the Blight in Denerim?

What a disappointment.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    ... um, spoilers?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, my bad.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Damn I forgot about this thread. I finished the game a week after I got it in the mail (took the whole week off from work for that reason) and I have to say, it was right up there with BG2 (aka the greatest game of all time). Not so much in scale, but the sheer freedom of choice in the latter part of the game of how you want to progress, is something I've never seen before.

BG2

DA: O

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines

Fallout 2

KOTOR 1

my personal top 5 RPG games of all time (I hope that's 5 actually).
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    rawkstar wrote: »
    So after preloading it all day monday and then spending 3 HOURS decrypting files through this buggy steam thing yesterday i finally got to play some of it. Played through 2 different starting race/background combos and i thought that was pretty awesome, the blood splatters everywhere all over everyone are COMPLETELY F!@#$%ING RETARDED, it has to be the dumbest implementation of the whole battle gore thing ... ever... i went and killed a dozen rats and then for like the next half hour my whole character was drenched in blood from head to toe... i mean ... come on...

that said the game is actually really cool! :) i like it alot, i dig the combat, i like how you can go back and forth between 3rd person and tactical cam, i like that its actually relatively challenging even on normal, you actually HAVE to use your abilities otherwise you die ALOT, putting your rogues behind dudes and backstabbing the hell out of everyone so far has been pretty satisfying. The story so far seems pretty neat, i guess kind of a typical bioware fare, i can buy into it.

I tried it yesterday and yes that "Gore" part is a bit too much, espacially when you go to the basement and kill the ghost mage and it splats blood everywhere........ The game was awsome though, with only one problem. No multiplayer or online multiplayer options. Instead, you have warden's selected men with you as henchies (henchies = bot characters who assist you during your quests, or chosen heros, just like in Guildwars).

I just wanted to give my comment on this game so according to the General Rules I bumped this thread.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Got it and really enjoying it so far, its gone back to the BG2 times and everything is customisable once again. The tactics and gameplay are like Baldur's Gate, each character can be controlled and levelled up. I think its good that you can have a battle until only 1 of your team is left standing and then the dead party members come back to life once the battle is over. In BG it meant the end of your character unless you could find a temple and pay money to bring them back to life, and that was a pain in the. In the B. forest at the moment, using snow cone and stone fist to shatter the evil that lurks.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    So there are people aside from me, who played Boulders gate. :) I havent made it to the second part though, but I will see to it.

There is another BG in the making.

Dragon Age is awsome. I just thought since EA is making it for console and PC it would've had that multiplayer option. That was the only disappointment to me.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got this one for Christmas on the pc.

I must say like most Bioware games the first couple of hours makes you want to shelf the thing. But once you get past that it's pretty awesome.

My main complaint is that it feels like there were two or more art directors on this game . One making awesome choices and convincing designs. And one who was a total fucking retard.

Lets spend a good 6 months on character design and concepts, but lets have Duddly do the blood for them. "Hey Duddly , sure you want to crank up the UV tiling on the blood ?
    Daaaaaaaarrrrrleee Yeal-s "