Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears Inspired Hospital Map (DM)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
I've been playing Gears WAY too much lately (even reading the books, get them if you don't have them). Anyway, I've been throwing around the idea of doing some level design so I figured I'd throw together an old school hospital that would fit into the Gears Universe. This is just a simple DM level, as it is my first time really doing a map start to finish.

Updates will probably be pretty lengthy, since I have a fulltime job and only get to work on this for an hour or so a day :) I plan on sharing all the assets once it's finished.

Enough text - Pics or it didn't happen:

Main Floor:

Floor1.jpg

Second Floor (Will be open design, so you can jump to first):

Floor2.jpg

Basement (This is going to look like something shady was going down):

Basement.jpg

I have already moved away from this design, I dropped it down to 1 staircase and added two elevator shafts at each hallway end...

UDK screen shots:

These are just base static meshes I threw together to replace the BSP. It's only floors and walls ATM so I know it looks like hell. Also, I don't have an SM 3.0 card here so I have to bake my lightmass at home (I'll mess with the lighting once the level is complete).

Map2.jpg

Map1.jpg

And finally, the very first Hi Poly piece of the map, the handrails (w00t):

RailingsFinal.jpg

RailingsFinal2.jpg

More to come!

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Loving the details in that high poly piece. Looks ambitious, will keep an eye on this!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Watch out with doing real hospital floor plan. It might have big chances not being fun to play.
    Usually level design, especially for DM maps with fast paced gameplay, should be built considering game flow in the first place.
    U already have most of rooms as rectangles. Moreover u got dead ends everywhere.
    Same height of celling everywhere does not contribute eitgher.

First of all i think u should do untextured BSP geo wiht basic lights, set up bot spawns, pickups, paths and all other gameplay elements. Then u run the map and play it. Also u might wanna run it only with bots and spectate. See how bots play without your help.
    Dunno if GoW has bots for MP, but I did that for UT3.
    U can also upload it to GoW modding community sites and let ppl play it and give u feedback.

Only after u can think of applying texture, adding props etc. because high chances u'll need to fix level design after that.
    Otherwise it can be a nice looking hospital replication but not a fun map to play ;)

U might want to check this out: http://www.hourences.com/book/bookgameplay.htm
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input Matroskin. I did flesh out the level in bsp first and ran around (didn't use bots though ). I did change up the design from the original layouts, but it still suffers from the items you stated. I put elevator shafts at both ends of the halls to try and add another way to move between floors (need to figure out how to let people go up too, not just fall through the shaft). Ill play around with the design a bit tonight.

Otherwise, I'm nearly done with the handrails low poly, should be updated and textured tomorrow
    Thanks for the input guys!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, digging the hand rails man!

I recently got Gears of War as well, great game!

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman wrote: »
    Looks cool, digging the hand rails man!

I recently got Gears of War as well, great game!

-Buddikaman

I've had 1 and 2 for sometime, the books made me start playing the games again ha ha
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    If you want to look at a good hospital level that is fun to play, one of the levels in Left 4 Dead (the 'No Mercy' level) takes place in a hospital.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update:
    Rails.jpg

Got to texture the top piece that goes with these. Hope to have this in level soon...
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    The normal came out looking really good.

-Buddikaman
  • psychoticprankster
    Can't wait to see where this goes.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks buddikaman, I'll post my max render settings here tomorrow.

psycho, Hopefully it goes somewhere nice :) I'm going to post my map 'redo' here soon too. I decided to make a courtyard to kind of open up the map and cut off some dead ends :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rails done:

Rails2.jpg

I'm going to pop out a few more props, then I'll draw out my new map so everyone can see what I've added...
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, I know you probably have a clear cut vision for your level atm, but it might be good to block out some larger forms, then some medium forms- the maybe do a quick paint over, just so you can get more of a vision for where your headed with this.

Right now I sort of get the feeling you might be starting too detailed too quickly. knocking out some highpoly action is never a bad thing (especially for learning and folio purposes) but you might want to save some of that moxie for the larger forms who's surfaces will catch a ton of light -vs- not much at all like these railings.

I feel like banging out sweet environment art, has a great deal to do with your foundations. make sure you give your self solid grounding, from which to refine further- try to think, big to small -what assets can you make that will flesh out a majority of the look/feel that you can then use to drive the look/feel of other supporting assets.

agreed the fun part is the small noodly bits, pipes, wires, decals, garbage/muck, blood, etc etc- but if you don't have a solid grounding from which to build on, you`ll find yourself spinnin your wheels.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's exactly what I'm doing now :) I just figured I started the rails already, I may as well finish it haha.

BTW, I don't know why, but when I open your sketchbook, it takes forever for the images to load and then I get a blue screen of death when I start scrolling HAHA You're killing my pc!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a little bit since the last update, but I think it was worth it. I completely started fresh with the BSP and here is the floorplans. I'm going to add some pillars in the large areas to break up the openness (I was also going to add some planters and such to the first floor, kind of give it like a huge welcoming feel :) Before I started on that though, I wanted to give everyone a look to see if they saw anything that may not work.

NewLayout.jpg

The yellow square on the right side is another spot where you can move between floors. The second floor is going to be busted out (you know the whole cave in, but magically the floor is now steps :) ).
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apart from the art, I'd like to suggest that you take a good look at level layouts in games, especially multiplayer games. You have loads of rooms that only have one entrance and are way too small for smooth gameplay. If you want 2 rooms against eachother make the wall destroyed or have a vent between them or another door that connects to a bigger room. You should really draw your level out, block it out in ugly BSP and run trough it, so the scale feels right. Running around in your BSP you have to think

-"If I get shot here would I be able to escape/dodge"
    -"Is there enough interesting height distance between level parts?"
    -"Can I run fluently trough the map without dead ends?"

Or you can just get some friends and test the level before you detail it.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input Sniper. I'll rework some of the bsp. Now that I look at it again, some of those hallways are pretty long :( Guess I needed a fresh set of eyes looking at it haha.

As far as the rooms go, where are some ones that only have 1 entrance? The only one I see is the one on the second floor that has the broken floor on it.

Also, I'm going to add some catwalks out from the second floor into that huge open area. After setting up the paths and playing with bots, there is WAAY to much open space out front.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, floor layout take 3.... Again, no pillars or anything, just floor for now. I decided to start small since this is my first map. Main room is about 6000 Units long and 2048 units wide.

FloorOverlay.jpg
    Floor Overlays

Floor2.jpg

Second Floor

Floor1.jpg

First Floor
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some shots from around the map since I am home and can get some decent lighting :) (this is rough lighting btw).

MapScreen1.jpg

MapScreen3.jpg

MapScreen2.jpg
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MapTop.jpg

Pillar1final.jpg

Pillar is going to be made from different metals for the top and bottom (like the railings) and then the middle shaft will be concrete...
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the low poly bake (Sitting at a whopping 322 polies (644 Tri's). I had to do some photoshop clean up, but I think it turned out good (I hate baking cylinders!):

PillarLowWire.jpg

PillarLow.jpg

Edit: I just noticed some blurring around the edges, that is a max error in the viewport, the map is ok :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textured Pillar:

PillarFinalTexture.jpg

Adding it to the map now :) Next I'm going to make the broken one...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Better than what I was expecting, think about using some colored lights to help find the mood.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Better than what I was expecting, think about using some colored lights to help find the mood.

Yeah, I will. I just threw in about 100 point lights to get everything lit. I'll light after everything is in place.

This map is gears inspired, but has nothing to do with the games, COG or Locust. Think Pendulum Wars :) You all will figure it out once I get more meshes in...
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update:

RoomShot1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy lighting, working on the SM 2.0 carded machine :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice- you definatly want to try and get those floor and wall textures figured out asap as they will be a pretty big driving force for how you go forward.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    nice- you definatly want to try and get those floor and wall textures figured out asap as they will be a pretty big driving force for how you go forward.

That was my next task :P
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 14
    I really think you should take a look at your layout, if you make changes now you will be saving time later on. I've put a bunch of things together I think you should take a look in your layout,

- The map generally leads to this central chamber, but this area has little ambition add balcony's, height differences and really think about how you want the combat to be in this area, also think about what this big room is, is it a large reception, an entrance, a plaza, a morgue ect..

- Try and avoid really long corridors without interruption, this is just REALLY boring.

- Always give the player as much choice as possible to what they do giving them 2-3 different routes at most positions is usually a good idea, because otherwise the players will become very predictable in their movements.

- Its all about the Z.. or the Y.. whatever.. add some height to your map! Different levels, layers, even if just small elevations this will really help.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles wrote: »
    I really think you should take a look at your layout, if you make changes now you will be saving time later on. I've put a bunch of things together I think you should take a look in your layout,

- The map generally leads to this central chamber, but this area has little ambition add balcony's, height differences and really think about how you want the combat to be in this area, also think about what this big room is, is it a large reception, an entrance, a plaza, a morgue ect..

- Try and avoid really long corridors without interruption, this is just REALLY boring.

- Always give the player as much choice as possible to what they do giving them 2-3 different routes at most positions is usually a good idea, because otherwise the players will become very predictable in their movements.

- Its all about the Z.. or the Y.. whatever.. add some height to your map! Different levels, layers, even if just small elevations this will really help.

Thanks for the comments man. I'll look at adding some depth the main area. That fallen down pillar really helped. The bots jump off the steps and use it as cover/height. I'll mess around with some BSP and see how it works out. Those hallways aren't very long so I think I'm ok there (they look longer in the top view than they actually are.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shouldn't even be showing this because it looks like hell as is (It's no where near done), but I haven't posted in awhile.

WallThing.jpg

That's going to go between the wall pieces (like a support, dunno what to call them?).

And if you haven't guessed yet, this is going to be a Union of Independent Republics Hospital during the early years of the Pendulum Wars. :P
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    that's what I'd guessed man straight off.
    It's a big task man, doing a design and complete art pass. good luck! thee stuff you've done so far is shaping up nicely
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I may go back and detail the pillars, I feel like it doesn't havethe same amount of detail as the walls and railings do.

Question: I saw a logo on gearspedia of the IUR and it was a lightning bolt. Does anyone know if that's correct or just some made up logo? I know they aren't mentioned or seen much but maybe its in the comics.. that's about the only gears related item I don't have yet :P
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update.... Work has been keeping me busy so I didn't get much time to work on this. I still need to add bolts on the support pieces (the black frame around the concrete) and a design on the sides. I may also add some 'teeth' up the sides of the frame, depends how busy it looks....

wallthing2.jpg

wallthing3.jpg

Sorry for the ugly renders, I'm too busy to sit around and wait for a decent render. I'll show you the moneyshots when the piece is complete :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who is tired of me spamming my own thread? I know I am! Anyway, added the rivets, they need scaled up a bit though.....

walldivide.jpg

Sorry, when you only get like 30 minutes a night to work on this, any progress is good. You do learn how to do things very fast though.... At this rate, this map will be done in 10 years!