Home Technical Talk

Maya cut uv's around selected faces?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Is there any way to select a group of faces in the uv editor and then click a magic button and have those uv's broken off around their boarder edge only not their internal edges?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    First, Convert to Edge Border, then Break UVs?
    I'm pretty sure there's a "Convert selected faces to edge border" command... don't have Maya here so can't remember offhand.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, just convert to contained edges, unless it's in mel and not exposed in the interface.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Doh :(
    There's almost certainly a way to do it through script. It's a shame that just the basic Cut UVs doesn't do this? I would have thought that would be the sensible way. Max's "break" does that and breaks off the selected elements into their own new shell (which makes sense).
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In MEL, it's a fairly simple piece of code, you can drag and drop this on a shelf somewhere, it's not fully tested, but seems to work quite well on the few objects I've tried it on. But, yeah, would be nice to see this as a default behaviour.

Select your faces, then click on the script
    polyMapCut -ch 1;
    textureWindow -e -selectInternalFaces polyTexturePlacementPanel1;
    polyPerformAction "polyMergeUV -d 0.01" v 0;

it basically peforms the cut on all selected faces, polyMapCut -ch 1;, then it makes sure we have faces still selected ( textureWindow -e -selectInternalFaces polyTexturePlacementPanel1; ) for the final part of the script, when we stitch them back together. ( polyPerformAction "polyMergeUV -d 0.01" v 0; ). Hope this helps.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SUNCHIRP, yeah that should do the trick. Mop, yes the max break of thing was nice I got used to it on nfs.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    You could also flip them twice - that breaks them off and puts them back in place.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a nifty trick Cody I'll give that a try.