Home Technical Talk

Maya verts too far to select?

Hi. I've been working with the UDK lately found a thread that told me how to change my grid in Maya to match the UDK grid. This went great and now its a lot easier to throw together modular environments in Maya.

My problem is that I had to increase my max and min clip distance in each of the view ports to compensate for the increased draw distance. Now I still seem to be only able to select verticies that are within a certain distance.

If I marque select an object only closer verticies are selected while the further ones are not.

Any ideas fellas?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    This only happens in the orthographic views right? It's driving me crazy too. Seems to be a new "feature" introduced around Maya 8.5 and above.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    yeah definitely somethign they "autodesked up" !
  • Forgetful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did college work last year in Maya 8.5 and I was getting the same problem now that I think of it. I'm using Maya 10 now and it obviously hasn't been fixed.

Everything I am selecting is within my clip plane so I don't know why It's not selecting.

Thanks for letting me know it only happens in the orthographic window though. It sucks to have to use perspective to select everything, but it's better than nothing.

If anyone else has this problem just add a "+1" to this thread. Maybe we can solve this if we work together.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    It's to do with camera range, the default is 100 (which is dire for working with UDK units), if you adjust it to around 1k then seems to be fine. I used to have the same problem as well. For 2009 onwards you click the paper document looking thing on the window and it will show the camera properties and you can then adjust the far clip plane.
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I account for these types of 'display' errors by having my camera near and far clipping planes set to extremes,

Near Clip Plane - 0.01 For Exteme Closeness
    Far Clip Plane - 100000 For Extreme Distance

You could always drag and drop this to a shelf, and initiate it on startup :-
    // Camera Near And Far Clip Planes Initialisation

setAttr "perspShape.nearClipPlane" 0.01;
    setAttr "perspShape.farClipPlane" 100000;

setAttr "topShape.nearClipPlane" 0.01;
    setAttr "topShape.farClipPlane" 100000;

setAttr "frontShape.nearClipPlane" 0.01;
    setAttr "frontShape.farClipPlane" 100000;

setAttr "sideShape.nearClipPlane" 0.01;
    setAttr "sideShape.farClipPlane" 100000;

NOTE : Will only work for the main 4 scene cameras, if you create new ones, or secondary perspective views, etc, these will have to be manually set.
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did any of you actually read his post?
    My problem is that I had to increase my max and min clip distance in each of the view ports to compensate for the increased draw distance. Now I still seem to be only able to select verticies that are within a certain distance.
  • Forgetful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No... no they didn't... :(
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to

WINDOWS > SETTINGS/PREFERENCES > PREFERENCES

in the categories, go to SETTINGS > SELECTION, see if you have CAMERA BASED SELECTION switched ON, this will cause the type of behaviour you mention, switch if off if it is. Save the PREFS then try it, see if this corrects your problem.

I still recommend initialising your cameras when you startup Maya as well, it all helps.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    MrMachete wrote: »
    did any of you actually read his post?

Sorry just posted what worked for me as I had the exact same problem -shrug-
  • Forgetful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a winner!
    WINDOWS > SETTINGS/PREFERENCES > PREFERENCES

in the categories, go to SETTINGS > SELECTION, see if you have CAMERA BASED SELECTION switched ON, this will cause the type of behaviour you mention, switch if off if it is. Save the PREFS then try it, see if this corrects your problem.

You made my christmas SUNCHIRP. Thankyou.