Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

chun liii

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
hoping i'm not starting this thread too pre-emptivley :\

anyway, saw this awsome rendition of chun li in this... 'certain' manga (a certain nsfw manga >_>) and wanted to have a go at capturing a similar style, cool proportions and all... even tho i've always been more partial to cammy.

More proportion working, initial form building and early head sculpt up next. Might need more thigh in there :shifty:
Oh, wanted to try posing her after working out teh basic shapes a little more, then do some non-uniform sculpting while i throw clothes/accessories on... tho i might be too lazy for that kinda thing.

01b2.jpg

Replies

• Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'certain' manga (a certain nsfw manga >_>) and wanted to have a go at capturing a similar style, cool proportions and all...

...Mind showing some reference? It's looking good... Just need to compare it with... The reference...
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good so far. One thing I've noticed about a few of your models though is that they tend to have flat butts/boobs. Which is not bad, it can be nice and refreshing seeing non-fake plastic people. Though in this case, Chun-Li is known for her thighs/butt. It should be larger and rounder compared to the current flat and angular. Just grab some nice butt reference, I bet you will have no trouble doing that :p. As for the boobs, they look like they are compressed against her chest as if wrapped tightly. Chun-Li's costume lets them hang more loosely than that. Also you might want to work with the width of the waist and size of the hips.

So yeah, looking good, keep going man.:)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe cool! Can't wait to see what you'll do with her, as she seems less extreme and more reality-grounded than the actual Capcom rendition of her!
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    that nsfw manga had her breast and thigs realistic, compared to the oversized ones in the game?

wow..thats a weird nsfw manga, they usually tend to take those parts to the extreme...

or did you just ignore those aspects of the character...for now? ;)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aight i warn you guys it's really not the kinda stuff you'd wanna be looking at at work (depends on where you work i guess :\): *edit* it's not linkin to the right thing anymore, try google'ing "haru urara hentai" if you into that sortof thing :P */edit*

soft_hands: all in teh name of art, of course :P
    frump: cool point man ^^ Just went over teh bewbs a bit, helped point out the hips and but things i gotta adjust so... hopefully not too big
    pior: cheers man ^^ I think i'm just pussing out and going with what feels safer rather than pushing the proportions way out there, hopefully gettin a little closer
    flow3d: could be a very specific h manga (it's not, but... loli chun li? could happen :poly141:). Yeah as i said above, takes me a bit of fiddling with the proportions until i'm happy with them and i'm prolly playing it way to safe on this one so far.

Anyways... bewbs. Making them bigger really helped indicate how i can now make the hips, butt and thighs bigger. Still noodling away :poly136:
    Gonna get onto that head sculpt next, might make me feel slightly less perverse and dirty :P

01c.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i think the boobs are getting closer to where they were in "the refrence" definatly needed to be bigger from the first post. lookin pretty good now. as for the "ref" itsself shall we just say the internet is a strange and mysterious place, and we may never know how things come to be there, or how we bump into them :poly124:

-Woog
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers woog. yeah i originally saw that side pic of chun li (with balrogg included unfortunatley :shifty:) and thought the gesture and proportions were cool... got me more interesting in chun li at least :P

Little bit of work on the head, think it might be looking a little to (realistic? not sure that's the right word for it :P). Mouth/chin area especially is kinda whack atm.
    Really hard to decide on which direction to go with the face, all the concept art of her seems to change regularly (like super chinese almost realistic in one, then super animoo sakura-like in another :S).

Also thinking of going with her sf alpha costume. Only played sf2 in the arcades but i like the style of the outfit, and the shoes are awsome ^^

01d.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little bit happier wit it... really gotta go over it with the smooth brush and try somthing crazy different. Gettin lazy/complacent on the proportionizing :poly118:

And yeah, thinking about going back to the original sf2 costume. ribbons are fun :\

01e.jpg
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I think her face is too droopy at the moment Nizza.

This character has been done so many times, it must be tricky to get a good balance of fresh and familiar. Maybe make up a few speed sculpts to test out ideas or paintovers perhaps. The really steep eyebrows seems to be a general consensus between all versions, despite their major differences.

EDIT: New one you just posted is looking better already! Her features look very much like the other female character you worked on though.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It's odd to see a Chun Li where less than half of her body volume has gone into the thighs ;) . The torso and arms look rather lengthy to me; not really bothersomely, but it doesn't help to make her distinguishable from your last female.

Take a look into the epicanthic fold if you want to make her eyes looks more asian.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to say, the work so far looks good!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You're a machine, dude! One piece after another! Stop hogging all the skills.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Emil said it best, looks great!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid: hehe, was afraid of just spitting out the same old (dunno how to get around that habit yet >_<)
    zwebbie: cheers man :P Cool idea on teh arms, i'll try bringing them up a nudge (hoping some cool posing will make it look a little different/interesting too). And yay, that's what that bit is called... hopefully going a bit more chinese now.
    casey: hehe, thanks man ^^
    gallows: cheers :)

aight, last update for today, i swear. I've kinda had one of those days where i just procrastinate heaps and don't get much done.
    Decided to try painting over, as i feel a leetle more comfortable fiddling with proportions in 2d rather than 3d... i got tired after the first sketch :\
    Not really liking the shapes on the 3/4 view tho.

02a.jpg

02b.jpg
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty good so far nizza, good progress. I would spend some time on her face a bit, it's looking a bit manly right now, and not asian enough :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this looks awesome so far dude. Kinda expecting the hips/thighs to be bigger (it's her freaking trademark!), but.. I haven't looked at the reference so I dunno. your quick sketch ortho views are closer to what I expected.

can't wait to see this further along
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, this is really well done! I'll have to admit, I'm very quickly becoming a huge fan of your work.
    I agree with CJE in that she doesn't really strike me as being asian, and bounchfx on the hips but I haven't gotten a chance to look at your reference either.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Nice model but If you're going for more realistic look, you need some chinese spice in there
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE: cheers dude. And oh noes!! (to the manliness >_<) :P
    bounchfx: hehe, too right man. Still got some room for pushing dem proporions i think ^^
    OrganizedChaos: ty :) Feel free to skip over the 'reference'. More along the lines of inspiration... and the original link was now linking to some tentacle rape thing... yeah >_>
    hawken: True dat. Hopefully headin in that direction, still not diggin it tho... vega might've been easier :\

Aight, pushed some stuff in 3d. Did some more work on the face. Also did a quick, throw away cloth sculpt thing... Gotta redo it as i'm still working out the dress but cloth be fun (usually)

ummm... i failed hard at posing too -_- Might have to hang out till the low poly stage.
    Oh and i'm not sure i originally wanted to go 'realistic' with this... it is kinda going that way tho :shifty:

03b.jpg

03a.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    and whats about this now?P
    epican1.jpg
    atm she looks liek rob schneider
    0730_schneider.jpg
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Nizza, good update. Here's some suggestions I have for the face, I hope they help.

paintoverv.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, she looks like Pink or someone else similarly manly...doing the eyes won't do it, you'll need to make the face much rounder too.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonkey: cool pic, cheers for the reference man (the first one)... but srsly? rob schneider?! I'm all for the masculine face comment but man that guy is a douche :poly122:
    CJE: cheers man ^^ bringing up the chin might help heaps actually
    blenderhead: yeah, agree'd. Having trouble seeing things properly now. Gotta come back to it tommorow after sleeps
    dado almeida: :) cool idea for ref. That chick is tanked btw :P

aight, i just tried adjusting the face and it turned into like some weird, transgendered, asian-ey... somthing.
    Really having trouble seeing where things are wrong specifically and fixing things up (everything just seems off). Need sleep methinks.

Decided to do mini chunners in the meantime :3 (kikouken!!)

mini_chun_li.jpg

01a1.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking great!

I did a quick paintover of the face, maybe this will help with your eye problem?

I may be way off, so... i hope it's helpful :)

I had the same problem with a male character i was doing a quick sculpt of... eyes were all jacked, and turned out my entire head was jacked because of the eyes... so yeah...

chunli_help_01.jpg

Cheers,
    D
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    nice paint over this is kicking much ass! Keep going dude!
    love the nose; and the paint over is freaking dead on
    Keep going and kick that models ass!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im going to agree with the eyelids being the problem area
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just terrible. Body proportions are ugly and the head looks mega fscked... oh wait >_>

:P cheers for the replies gais (and paintover nfrrtycmplx :)). Really gotta let this thread subside and focus on my other studies so i can come back and hopefully kick ass when i start over on the chunners.

Was going over my bengal folder as i often do and found this awsome-ness which has got me wanting to go in a whole new direction :\ (link)
    Gotta go make a bengal/pior background to keep me inspired naow :poly142:
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, your close so don't put this one away for good.
    However, I do agree that its a good idea to step away from this for a while especially with a stylized character like this.
    Keep up the good work!
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    Oh..nice body.
    I'll expect this work!! :D
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    god damnit man where are the updates! I want to see more! :(
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Really gotta let this thread subside and focus on my other studies so i can come back and hopefully kick ass when i start over on the chunners.
    Bullshit! Finish it, motherfucker!

FINISH HER! [/mortalkombat]
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress on your Chun Li character. My favorite look to her so far has been in your #14 post. I think for the posts after that, the thighs got a little to think for me. Although, I do know she has huge thighs, haha ;0 so it makes sense why you chose to sculpt them out that way!