Home General Discussion

Nice way to earn $30million....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8417789.stm

Just noticed this about a guy who put a video up on youtube and hollywood paid him 30 million to make a film out of it.

Not bad going for only spending about £200 on making the video.

Reminds me slightly of war of the worlds.

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    YouTube recently revealed the most watched videos of 2009. Britain's Got Talent star Susan Boyle topped the chart with more than 120 million views worldwide of her debut on the show.

This made me die inside.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grrrrrr 30!!!! Just for something you did for shitz and giggles. Lucky bastard!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the end when the robot turns into a hut type thing and explodes

Lucky bastard indeed hope it looks better than this when it's done.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its not exactly an original idea, or even original in its implementation.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    It's a mix of independence day and war of the worlds. Hollywood couldn't come up with this on their own?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    30 million theoretical dollars or real dollars? :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Calabi wrote: »

You're absolutely right, but your post still sounded bitter. :)
    "If some director from some country can achieve this just uploading a video to YouTube, it obviously means that anyone could do it," he added.

If he wasn't from Uruguay, I'd wager that this probably wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't say that it's 'obvious' that anybody could do this, or why Hollywood felt that this idea was worth beating the proverbial path to his door for.

Still, look at District 9. Granted, the short and resulting adapted story were much better than this, but it still might be alright.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15

is anything original possible anymore
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Hope that means we are getting a Mechwarrior movie soon? :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Good for him I say
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    danshewan wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, but your post still sounded bitter. :)

If he wasn't from Uruguay, I'd wager that this probably wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't say that it's 'obvious' that anybody could do this, or why Hollywood felt that this idea was worth beating the proverbial path to his door for.

Still, look at District 9. Granted, the short and resulting adapted story were much better than this, but it still might be alright.

I'm always bitter. There's plenty of original ideas, things that havent been explored just go into any library and pick up a few books. But yeah congrats to him, grumble, grumble.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a publicity thing for YouTube more than anything else. The guy who made the video gets the millions (which the Hollywood guys will make back in under a year anyway, from this movie or others, regardless of how well this one does) but the fact of it happening makes YouTube even more attractive for wannabe film makers as it's seen as something akin to the lottery for anyone with a video camera; sparking a surge in creative or higher quality uploads, bringing in more visitors to the site, justifying the raising of advertising rates on the site, and potentially tripling profits without having to actually do anything to improve it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that had something to do with it. Pretty keen marketing move, if you ask me.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hey with all the crazy ways people gain Hollywood contracts...I just say congrats, that's an insane payday that can hopefully set up everyone who worked on the short for life!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Xenobond wrote: »

Man, I'm with you on that. Battletech universe is some of the best SciFi ever, I wish they'd do a movie about that instead of choose this guy based on some generic project he made.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    fly_soup wrote: »
    ...and potentially tripling profits without having to actually do anything to improve it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that had something to do with it. Pretty keen marketing move, if you ask me.

Yeah, youtube needs that though, they ARE running at a loss :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18

They should pump $30 million into that!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beat to death idea, no story. youd think these kinds of movies are thought up like 100 times a day in hollywood.

but focusing just on the short, it looks totally badass. the cg was great. the only thing i didnt like about it was the robot design. but the effects and compositing were great.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    It seems misleading. I don't think this is a 30 million dollar payday for this guy, they're giving him a budget of 30 million to make a big movie out of it. If he can make it for 20 million, maybe he keeps the balance? Who knows the details?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    oh maan, 30 million is the production budget.
    the news
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=830033

and his cgtalk post is there ...

bbc news is being fancy ....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ...He will write the script and come up with an original story that will probably involve giant robots.
    from: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=830033

that seriously made me laugh out loud, hahaha... man. that is some ripe shit right there. I'm quitting this business and starting up in: http://qntm.org/?destroy
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    mediocre generic - badly animated - robots invade and destroy city unconvincingly.

Whats that saying again?

You can't sing, you can't dance and you can't play. You'll go far. good luck to the guy.

The CG talkers are spot on though; this short lacks any kind of story or emotion.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I think the saying is: No matter what you do to become successful someone will always find fault with you.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finding faults in this is easy, making a movie will be his challenge
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    How do all those sour grapes taste? Jesus. Some dude made a little VFX short, got lucky and got a movie deal out of it and teh interwebs hordes fall all over themselves trying to tear the guy and his little movie apart. how petty.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The mans living the dream. Making a short film is tough, and it's nice to finally see an artist be rewarded for it. Yeah is film isn't super great, but it's pretty damn cool that he gets to now make a movie. I wish more short film makers got this opportunity, maybe we'd see something fresh in hollywood.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, its an awesome short, and great accomplishment. My previous comment was pointing out the plot, which when put in writing is kind of simplisticly hillarious. its also just a little crazy at hollywood's snatching of it, which seemed rather fast.

I always thought Hollywood was difficult to break into. Maybe it is, and there is a huge story of submissions and presentations for this guy that we're not getting. But for it to instantly be a "oh hey we're gonna make-a movie!" seems like Hollywood execs are grasping at straws and just want to try to nab anything that may seem to make them a buck by finding the "guy who made that short on youtube."

not that there is anything wrong with being successful, or this guy's achievements with this. I just think the whole thing is a little odd, or its part of a bandwagon to find some personal indy project and make it huge bucks (Paranormal Activity) and the guy will be made into something (literally or figuratively) that doesn't suit his dedication and hard work.

Or, we're all getting played; there is no "guy," and this is some brilliant viral bit for a spoof movie :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe they saw what become of district 9, short->full-length=CASH!!!!!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    I wish more short film makers got this opportunity, maybe we'd see something fresh in hollywood.

The majority of decent hollywood directors started out this way.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    IEatApples wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8417789.stm

Just noticed this about a guy who put a video up on youtube and hollywood paid him 30 million to make a film out of it.

Not bad going for only spending about £200 on making the video.

Reminds me slightly of war of the worlds.

Nice..
  • psychoticprankster
    that short movie was pretty cool, I hope the movie wont be to cliche.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to the guy,

Though he's gotta do his own soundtrack next time :) (despite how epic the 28days music is)

to be fair this kind of makes me think of how a Command an Conquer or red alert movie would look.

Good luck to the dude!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Well that's surprising, Hollywood has beaten this idea to death with a spiked bat made out of solid steel, why on earth would they still entertain
    it?

Anyway, it's a cool short for effects but not much else, the music was ripped straight from 28 days later and it sure as fuck did not go with the action and there was no story either.

Whichever way this turns out, this guy is one lucky son-of -a-bitch.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    true,
    perfect for hollywood
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17

Yes please, and make a good ShadowRun Movie along the way too.