Home Technical Talk

Skin Wrap portion of SlideKnit pipeline issues

Hey guys I decided to use SlideKnit to conform some of the details on a model im working on to parts of the main mesh after the recommendation from another thread. However once I use the skin wrap mod to get the detailed mesh to morph to the original i can't seem get a very accurate end product, ive played around the falloff, distance influence and face limit on the skin wrap mod for both the vertex and face deformation engines and can't seem to find a good result.

I put a turbosmooth modifier on the detailed mesh and the original (the one with the uv grid material) in hopes the added polys would help eliminate some of the distortion I was getting

Anyone who has more experience with this tool/modifier able to provide me with any tips?

The pink mesh is the the flat mapped uv output from SlideKnit

Here a few pics, this is the best I was able to do
Here's the before
frontbefore.jpg

Here's the after
afterfront.jpg
afterperspective.jpg

Replies

• ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    I wish I could help out, but I cant even figure out how slideknit works. I can get the slideknit mesh out of the UVed original but I can't get anything to snap on to it, move... yeah nothing.
  • nezach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to have the meshes right on top of each other and then put on skin wrap. Face deformation will probably serve you best once you do that.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nezach wrote: »
    You need to have the meshes right on top of each other and then put on skin wrap. Face deformation will probably serve you best once you do that.
    sorry i should have mentioned that for the purpose of showing each piece in the pictures i moved them away from each other, when I do the skin warp they are on top of each other.

that being said, i did leave some vertical space between the two, ill see if that is messing things up?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    could youpost your sourefiles?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure lemme figure out how, posting them through drop box as a .max file will work yeah?
  • Dippndots
  • nezach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, no, my fault. I should have asked if you had them on top of each other first. And on top of that I initially read the order back words from how you were actually trying to do it as well. So vertex would likely be better. That way you can go into sub mode and see if adjusting the falloff and strength of individual control vertexes helps you.

Hopefully Neox can help you more.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    guess its 2010? well i can't help then :/
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it is 2010 sigh, ill tool around with less complex geo and see if I can find what i might need to change
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't used slideknit before only seen it demonstrated.

You might have better results using just textools UVW XYZ swap feature to flatten out your base mesh, then position your detailed mesh to more or less fit the flattened base mesh, apply skin wrap to your detailed mesh targeting the flattened base mesh and switch the base mesh back to a 3D object.
    texTools_ani_swapuvw.gif

Based on the examples above you won't be able to properly skin wrap the two objects because they aren't close enough to each other. Skinwrap takes the verts from the detail mesh and looks for verts right around it on the base mesh. When the base mesh verts move so do the verts right around it on the detailed mesh. If there aren't any verts within the tollerance distance it won't do anything. You can crank up the tollerance but it will only muddy up the results. Skinwrap works best when meshes are sharing pretty much the exact same space. Which is why you flatten out the base mesh.

So at some point they need to be roughly the same shape (normally flattened) then morph back to the original shape. It looks like you want it to just project onto the surface which isn't really possible?
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks vig ill give textools a try, your point about the 2 meshes not being similar enough to each other makes a lot of sense.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Vig it worked perfectly, not to point fingers but i think its something with the way slideknit converts the UVW coords to XYZ coords because when i used the textools UVW swap and then applied the morpher/skin wrap it worked perfectly using the same settings as Slideknit.