Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First dive into character creation.

Hey everyone!

This is the first time posting anything ive created, generally im still learning through what I create as im trying to get a head start on learning 3ds max and the features and functions on game asset creation mainly characters and props before i get into uni.

Im hoping to improve through feedback and hopefully pick up a few tips and tricks as i already have just browsing this forum and seeing other peoples work which inspires me.

This is my first piece, the reference pic is from wow as their characters seemed fairly simply made, i could easily distinguish parts of the body, i didnt attempt to create a spot on match, just more of a guideline then later on add my own to it.

It was a test to see my ability when thrown into creating a character, point out my mistakes, see what looks wrong and what can be improved, as id like others to point out.

tris - 2274
verts - 1150
polys - 1142

test1.jpg

Testing.jpg

test2.jpg

tester.jpg

At the moment ive noticed some light smoothing issues around the groin and below the breasts. Any crits are welcome :D

Im all new to this, so any sort of tips on presentation or general stuff is also welcome.

Replies

• ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Forgot the references.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    I think for the first time creating a character you are skipping a step, anyone here that is a character artist will tell you to study human anatomy first, once you get an atomically correct model that is well made you can then begin to shape that into whatever you want, but if you don't have the basics down first anything you make no matter how simple is not going to look right. I would find real photo reference of a girl and start with that, also study up on your edge loops and topology.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, I don't want to discourage you at all, but the easiest way to learn this stuff is probably start off small. Characters are a blast, but damn hard to do and do right, I still have loads of trouble with them.

Just to get the hang of Max I'd create environments for now and props. It doesn't have to be all hard surface modeling either, you can model trees, statues and things of that nature just to get your bearings first and learn efficient use of polys and edge flow. Then I would move onto characters and maybe do some tutorials that can help you learn proper edge flow (that's the reason you have smoothing issues).

It always helps to have a great reference and look at other peoples work, especially their wires (I'm still working on that stuff too!). Otherwise you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.

GL!

Edit: Also you're going to want to work on your life drawing skills and sit down and study human anatomy. I have loads of anatomy books, and took a semester of life drawing at my University and still get some things wrong (especially on beefy characters where you can see all their muscles).
  • Romario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start! I'm very much a noob but interested in Characters. Any particular tutorials that you recommend Vcortis? What do you think of the Gnomon videos for noobies? The only thing I didn't like about Gnomon was that they almost all ask you to go download/buy some plug-in (Maya videos). Besides the manual which books/tutorials do you recommend? Thanks!
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback guys, i am currently getting life drawings down although i can truly say that it is pretty tough haha. but practice makes perfect.

Although i've gained what I needed from the feedback, proper edge flow within 3ds max as well as mainly bulking up my effort on the anatomy.

Nobody would happen to have any good books or sites that provide some good references and tutorials they would highly recomend?

currently ive used websites below and some google links around.

http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets - mainly to draw different human figures.

http://fineart.sk/ - this for its range of anatomy reference, although i find it a bit unorganized some things are hard to find.

Im a UK resident so anything thats buyable in this country would be a plus.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials_3/head_modeling_3dsmax/head_modeling_3dsmax_01.php

This is a pretty sweet tutorial to apply to all your character modeling... Your topology looks soooo flllllllllllat. You need to take off the clothes from the character and study the muscles and use your edges to highlight and accent muscles to make them look realistic. Do what the guy did from 3d and do a paint over on your reference to see what the best way of mapping your polygons is.

I can't think clearly and kind of forgot what else I wanted to say xD
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran across that tutorial a while back but never bookmarked :O Thank you for the link and advice! I think I will most likely do a few props before I really start to focus on character creation properly, start off small with gas canisters and what not!