Home General Discussion

Dante's Inferno demo!

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
So anyone played it yet? Couldn't find it on the UK PSN, but it's on the US PSN.

Just got in from work and started downloading it.

Replies

• danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I'm still pissed that there's not going to be a PC port.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    danshewan wrote: »
    I'm still pissed that there's not going to be a PC port.

Me too, but then again the Dead Space port had shitty mouse lag controls.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    Me too, but then again the Dead Space port had shitty mouse lag controls.

True, but it managed to redeem itself by a) being released on PC to have shitty mouse lag to begin with, and b) being such a totally awesome game that I didn't care.

Back on-topic, some of the environments and boss characters in Inferno look pretty sweet, and the Limbo concept was amazing.

dantesinferno_conceptart_limbo02-4272009-4_656x369.jpg

I really wish they'd have just focused on the awesome-looking art to promote the title instead of the tasteless marketing campaigns they've inflicted on us.

Man, even writing about it's bumming me out. Why, oh WHY no PC release? Damn you to Hell, EA!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want a PC port as well. :(
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, had a quick play through and it seems very good.

Don't care for the controls, but everything else is steller. Great animations, evironments look good and varied and the combats bloody.

Probably a buy for me, just wish they'd move away from QT events.

Edit: seems the PS3 version is the one to buy: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/10/dantes-inferno-divine-edition-heading-exclusively-to-ps3/

Also, probably an error but:http://www.shopto.net/PC/VIDEO%20GAMES/PCDA10-Dantes%20Inferno.html :)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    was good, but i'll skip it in favour of bayonetta and gow3
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You're probably right, and I'm not getting my hopes up, but the last I heard EA had stated officially that they weren't interested in a PC port. This was back in July, though.
    "When Dante's Inferno was originally announced in December, we attached no platforms to the project. When we came out with a first look for press in February we announced 360/PS3 and then in April we announced PSP. We never announced a PC SKU nor are there plans for any."

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/07/20/ea-no-plans-for-dantes-inferno-for-pc/
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played it. Didn't like it.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    sucks that they put the quicktime event buttons like on the top of the screen,
    makes me focus on that part instead of the action.
    why not put the buttons where stuff is gonna happen? like, around the head before you decapetate somebody..

very shitty design choise.. but then again, gemedesigners are worthless at everything other than stealing money from gamecompanys.

might buy it, to hold me over for God of War
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    vcool wrote: »
    I want a PC port as well. :(
    Games like this never go good on the PC. Best to stay on console.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Damn you EA, no Xbox demo until christmas eve ¬¬
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't dig those button prompts at the top of the damn screen. Gonna play it again and try to shake the "We're trying to be cool like GoW" feeling.

What's up with the black bars covering the boobs? They should have made it mosaic so it's not so intrusive.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Lamont wrote: »
    What's up with the black bars covering the boobs?

God, that sounds weak. Please tell me the final release won't be censored.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    What's up with the black bars covering the boobs? They should have made it mosaic so it's not so intrusive.

Well so much for lust. Welcome to the 8 circles of "Rated E for everyone!" Hell.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this maybe because they can't restrict who downloads the demo to just people who are "old enough". like how retail stores do so that there aren't any 13 year olds in mw2 or l4d2?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    God, that sounds weak. Please tell me the final release won't be censored.

I wouldn't have thought so. Surely it's a safety measure given that it's a demo available for download, as opposed to a retail copy with certification? After all the shit that EA pulled with their marketing antics, I can't see them censoring nudity - or if they do, it'll be an option to disable in game options or something.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    didn't see any black bars on ps3
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so some places will have an option to enable the tits and baby-killing?
    “There’s a little bit of softening of the content that we’re going to be doing for certain territories,” executive producer Jonathan Knight said in a OXM interview posted on Xbox Live. “We totally respect different cultural sensitivities and we want the game to be available in as many countries as we can so we’re kind of looking at that for certain territories, what we might need to do to soften the material a little bit, scale back.

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/10/26/dantes-inferno-scaled-back-during-development/
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    didn't see any black bars on ps3
    Go mess with the account settings or something. I was playing on my kids account at the time, then when I went over to mine, it was still there.

AFAIK, my kids account isn't restricted.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't dig those button prompts at the top of the damn screen. Gonna play it again and try to shake the "We're trying to be cool like GoW" feeling.

I disagree with your idea about "we're trying to be cool like GoW", but Im glad you noticed the miss-placed button prompts like I did.. Im not crazy I tells ya! sucks doesnt it..having to stare at the top of the screen instead of at the action.....some poor animators work, down the shitter.

didnt have any black bars though.. あなたは日本に住んでいるのに、オッパイが見えないか・・・変でんw
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ちょっとだっけじょおだん。。。おれわみるおっぱがいまっす。
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    There was plently of boobies when i played the demo last night.

I agree about the QT signs being too camoflauged into the foreground, they need to been more obvious and changed to a different location onscreen.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I was hoping there was gonna be a pc version too. And about Dead Space PC having mouse lag controls, I never noticed it, cause I bought a 360 controller, and used that to play it with. So the pc controls complaint is no longer valid for not porting a game to the pc. Not meaning anything bad to any comments previously posted.

I can't wait for this game. I know a lot of people are angry about the so called pooping on the original text, but I really don't care. I understand where people are coming from with those complaints, but I was never really vested in the poem to begin to with. The game looks fun, takes place in hell, has some bad ass monsters, and designs, it's everything I want from a game. If I somehow manage to get some work, this'll be a day one purchase for me.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine had full boobage.

Still didn't like the game.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Played the demo about 10 times now, need something similar to satisfy me until febuary.

Anyone rate Heavenly sword?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone rate Heavenly sword?

Never got a chance to play it. Looks beautiful, though.

I need a PS3.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I give Heavenly Sword about a 7/10.

Not the greatest thing in the world, but definitely some sequences and art worth checking out. Combat is decent, not great. Definitely worth $20.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers, think i'll give it a whirl.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well, no chance we'll be getting the uncensored version. PlayAsia is going to get another pile of my cash.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I must be the only one that isn't impressed with it so far, then again I do hate button mashers like this and God Of War :(

I can't get past how dated the game looks, it looks like a PS2 port... :(
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    odium wrote: »
    I must be the only one that isn't impressed with it so far, then again I do hate button mashers like this and God Of War :(

I can't get past how dated the game looks, it looks like a PS2 port... :(

Thought the graphics were ok, but you can see the comprimise of going 60fps on a console, no normal maps on the environment, low quality shaders, but i think the combat makes up for it imo.

Also if this is using the same engine as Dead Space, then replacing its deferred rendering with whats looks like baked lightmaps was a big mistake imo.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of Dead Space, I'm playing through Extraction right now and I have to say... Damn, this game looks amazing for a Wii title. Very, very impressed. I just finished RE:DSC, another amazing Wii game, so it was nice to go back to REAL horror. Dead Space on 360 is one of my all time fave games, its got probably the best audio in a game since system shock 2. Cant wait for the new one...

But yeah, Dante's Inferno just... I dunno, yeah its nice its 60fps, but man, I just cna't get over how ugly it is, even more so with GOD3 being 60FPS and looking a lot better.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I am a huge god of war fan and to see this so shamelessly ripping off almost everything from it made my eyes roll. almost exact same controls and the camera moves to show whats happening around you. even the cutscenes being stylized and transitioning to gameplay are super similar.

one segment of gameplay with the wheel slowly closing in and you have to kill all the enemies to open the gate was taken directly outta god of war 1. yes the 60 fps looks good but the art direction is horrible, everything looks so muddy and over contrasted. And I looooved dead space, so I dont know how they went so wrong and bland with this.

I havent been interested in this game since day 1 but playing this demo, its like they had a god of war checklist. upgradable skills, check. health and xp that are glowing flying orbs, check. large scale environment stuff going on, (to be fair the church collapse was cool), check. oh and god of war had lots of tittys, so we better throw even more in there to be extra awesome!

overall im just not feeling the Gothic theme, its not for me. and the sewing of a cross tapestry into his chest.....kinda dumb. "honey im home and have disfigured myself awesomely" just feels like its trying to be too hardcore.

not to sound like a troll but it just bugged me. there were some cool things about it though, the fire demons you need to blast with the cross and then kill was kinda neat. the church busting apart around you while you fight was well done too.

I might rent this if im craving that style combat but with GoW3 coming in march and the demo of it on my HDD i i'll probably give it a skip. Now come out with Dead Space 2 already dammit!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I am a huge god of war fan and to see this so shamelessly ripping off almost everything from it made my eyes roll. almost exact same controls and the camera moves to show whats happening around you. even the cutscenes being stylized and transitioning to gameplay are super similar.

one segment of gameplay with the wheel slowly closing in and you have to kill all the enemies to open the gate was taken directly outta god of war 1. yes the 60 fps looks good but the art direction is horrible, everything looks so muddy and over contrasted. And I looooved dead space, so I dont know how they went so wrong and bland with this.

I havent been interested in this game since day 1 but playing this demo, its like they had a god of war checklist. upgradable skills, check. health and xp that are glowing flying orbs, check. large scale environment stuff going on, (to be fair the church collapse was cool), check. oh and god of war had lots of tittys, so we better throw even more in there to be extra awesome!

overall im just not feeling the Gothic theme, its not for me. and the sewing of a cross tapestry into his chest.....kinda dumb. "honey im home and have disfigured myself awesomely" just feels like its trying to be too hardcore.

not to sound like a troll but it just bugged me. there were some cool things about it though, the fire demons you need to blast with the cross and then kill was kinda neat. the church busting apart around you while you fight was well done too.

I might rent this if im craving that style combat but with GoW3 coming in march and the demo of it on my HDD i i'll probably give it a skip. Now come out with Dead Space 2 already dammit!

so you love god of war and it's just like god of war but you don't like it. right.

I remember watching the 20 minute presentation at e3 this year and it was way better than I expected. I love god of war, and this looks like more of that. fuck yes - count me in. I have no issue with getting more of the good stuff. I've yet to try the demo so who knows, maybe that will sway me in another direction but if it's GoW:Dante edition I think I'll be more than satisfied.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Usually when something copies something you are fond of you notice the flaws in the imitation much more, and I think thats what hes saying... That its a God Of War clone but doesnt exactly hit God Of War levels of quality. I hate God Of War, it makes my thumbs bleed, but I can see the quality in it, its just not "my" type of quality. Only a muppet would say otherwise :p

EA just recently (lol, recently as in last 10 years) have been taking other games and doing nothing but copy them. And you know what, in come cases, it works. Dead Space was an obvious copy of RE4 but my dear GOD it wiped the floor with RE5, for example. So EA "can" do it when they really think about it. But with DI, I think they worried too much about hitting the 60 FPS mark, which is odd because its really not rendering all that much to struggle anyway.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea exactly it feels like ive been there done that but better before. not saying its a shit game, just to me feels uninspired and lower quality.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still haven't played through the demo again. But intend to give it a fair chance. There is no reason there can't be another "Angry mofo on a rampage" game out there, I just hope the story is enough to make me want to play it. I did not say it wasn't fun, it's just the first reaction I got from playing it was the "GoW" feel.

My hopes for Dantes Inferno is that it will go above and beyond what GoW did, like Skate did against Tony Hawk. I just hope they don't toss all the cool shit in the first 4 levels and the last 5 are just ho-hum. I like steady buildup. The way you upgrade your abilities seems cool.

Dead Space seems like a bad-ass game, and I will play and finish it in the near future.

They really need to fix the button promps, like now. I wanna see WTF I am doing. As the game stands, it's something I would buy, the combat doesn't seem flawed, the camera didn't piss me off and I can block when I want.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I haven't played many games in this similar hack and slash genre, thats why it feels good to me.

I really do need to play GOW!