Home General Discussion

Regarding Texture

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
I havent started this part of the entire process yet, where you create the texture to impliment on either a character, or a building.

I use gimp for sketches.

Further tools that can be used are:

MapZone
ProFx
Photoshop

Now I need to learn to create the rough texture for the scene, create a diffuse, and shadow. I need a suggustions of the program that you guys use for all that, or what you guys prefer the most for texturing. So I can learn that program and stick to it.

Thanks.

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Start with whatever works easiest for you. If you find it easier to work with Gimp (I can't take that name serious... Or the App for that matter lol) then go with Gimp and move up when you think you are ready. Most people use Photoshop however.

Oh, and...

cool_story_bro.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So. *Aside from "Cool story bro"* you suggust that I should startup with photoshop and disregard everything else?

By the way Gimp is a free photo editor tool, which is almost like photoshop. You can check from Google.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    99% of the people you talk to on this forum are going to be using photoshop for pretty much all of the process. and yes, most of us also know what gimp is.

learn photoshop
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    99% of the people you talk to on this forum are going to be using photoshop for pretty much all of the process. and yes, most of us also know what gimp is.

learn photoshop

Yes, or so I assumed that everyone would know what Gimp is, I was just replying to this part of his post.
    (I can't take that name serious... Or the App for that matter lol)

Thank you for your suggustion. =)
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    downloaded gimp, and tried it. not to my tastes. i'm on photoshop CS1.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yeh photoshop it is.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I use gimp and I likes it(thats a lie I use it but I hates it).

Learn one you learn them all basically.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Photoshop all the way. although I've seen a few people doing incredible texture jobs with painter. Yet photoshop is probably the most versatile and widely used tool
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Most people use photoshop, because it does the most and people are the most familiar with it. GIMP/PSP/Photoshop Elements are all fine stand-ins on a budget, though.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    photoshop for the filters, file types

painter IX for everything else

on my computer painter destroys photoshop in performance, ui organization and blending

---

furthermore, i looked into that program you mentioned, mapzone, it seems pretty cool, i watched a couple of the introduction videos on it on youtube. The thing is, everything the guy does in the videos can be done in half the time, and (i think) easier in Zbrush.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    photoshop for the filters, file types

painter IX for everything else

on my computer painter destroys photoshop in performance, ui organization and blending

---

furthermore, i looked into that program you mentioned, mapzone, it seems pretty cool, i watched a couple of the introduction videos on it on youtube. The thing is, everything the guy does in the videos can be done in half the time, and (i think) easier in Zbrush.

Zbrush is 2.5D tool that is used for sculpting ( I think, thats what I did last time I tried it), I havent really gone in to details to create an image and NormalI, DiffI (Diffuse), Where as, I did that in Mapzone and implimented to one of my "deleted fool arounds" in 3ds max. Not sure if I am use it in every building texture before implementing it. That is why I created this thread to see how many people use Gimp + Mapzone and how many are using just Photoshop and do everything in it.

ProFX: Requires $20k per game development for their texturing so I wouldnt even touch that, but its good to ask people (who are using it) to comment on it, or if they would recommend it. Practically Mapzone is a tool broken down from ProFX and it is free.

As for the photoshop, I completely missed the part where you can create diffuse and shadow of the texture image within the photoshop. I will definately re-start learning more the photoshop.

Thanks for good suggustions.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Learn the Photoshop. Even the people that make GIMP recommend it.