Home General Discussion

So, we have real Spaceships...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mime polycounter lvl 14
I mean i don't know if you can call them spaceships. As i understand they have suborbital flight paths...
But i dont know.. they look pretty cool to me.
The price though...

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Edit:
The apogee of the new craft will be approximately 110 km (68 miles) and in the thermosphere, 10 km (6 miles) higher than both the SpaceShipOne target (though the last flight of the SpaceShipOne reached 112 km), and the K

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    If i had the money to spare I would go for a ride without a second thought. But since I don't have the money, Ill just wait for something horrible to happen and watch about it on the news :P

This is just one of those things that was bound to happen as humanity becomes more 'futuristic.' Eventually we'll be living on the moon.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I wanna live in the ocean, screw the moon.

Anyway, even if you had the money, who the hell would pay that much to take a flight above the earth? Crazy people!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    crazy white people.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    we also have snuggies now... the future is nigh... i don't think the future will be the future though until we have a fully functional hover board.... oh, and lightsabers too.... :P

give it 20 years and you'll be able to maybe afford a ticket.
    airlines were for the rich and famous when they first started up.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Firebert wrote: »
    i don't think the future will be the future though until we have a fully functional hover board....

I'm still sore at Zemeckis for stating in an interview that the hover boards were real. I was a young, impressionable kid back then, and I fucking believed him. T_T
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Private space missions are the real future. If the first man on mars is a rich person who paid for the privilege, then great!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Now i'm waiting for some crazy fanatics to hijack it with spoons to crash it on the white house just for the lulz.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its great, and I totally love what he/they are doing.
    Firebert wrote: »
    give it 20 years and you'll be able to maybe afford a ticket.
    airlines were for the rich and famous when they first started up.
    The Airlines took off because it was an incredibly quick form of travel from one point to another.

If they use this as a method to get from New York to Hong Kong in under 3hrs then it will quickly revolutionize travel. But if all they do is take off from New Mexico and land at New Mexico then well... its going to be a long time before its something other than a novelty for the rich.

I think they're planning on more than just quick jabs into the thermosphere which will be the actual tipping point.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Mime wrote: »
    Apparently it is in actual orbit and in space as it passed the so called K
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Peris wrote: »
    It's not in orbit at all, you need to go waaaay faster than that. SpaceShipTwo will reach about 1km/second, to orbit you need to reach 8km/s. So it will basically fly out of the athmosphere, go in freefall for about 6 minutes (thats when you experience the weightlesness), and then float back to land. Still pretty far off from really going out into space, but it's cool anyway =)

Actually you just need 3 km/s for a Geosynchronous orbit. But yeah i thought you could really fly for a bit in space..
    Don't really know..
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i were rich and could aford this just for fun i wouldnt dare risking my rich life for such
    stupid shit.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Stupid luxuries for the rich! Weeee!!
    I guess it will help move technology forwards a bit.
    It's not like normal people have an actual need for traveling to space and back. With airlines, the situation was totally different because people were actually GOING SOMEWHERE, with various reasons to go. This is just a pointless waste of money so rich people can continue to push the 'stupid expensive fun' envelope, instead of using their wealth to help actual human beings.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Free market products help actual human beings. The intent of innovation is pretty much irrelevant to its value -- private space flight is a step forward.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    It's not like normal people have an actual need for traveling to space and back. With airlines, the situation was totally different because people were actually GOING SOMEWHERE, with various reasons to go. This is just a pointless waste of money so rich people can continue to push the 'stupid expensive fun' envelope, instead of using their wealth to help actual human beings.

yeah, Screw science, who benefits from that? ;) How many people have flown in space sofar? A hundred? Two hundred? Have we learned anything from those trips yet? yup. How many of the first hundred person that ever flew in an airplane did so because they had to go somewhere really fast? And in what way does THAT help actual human beings? reeaally rich people/adventurers going somewhere a bit faster? (but not very far though...and not that much faster either)

Streamlining space technology can still benefit people. Developing cheaper solutions for space technology is hardly "stupid fun" imho :]
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

Damn those rich people for employing a myriad of engineers and scientists as they discover new tech!
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure the Wright Brothers we're thinking more along the lines of "holy shit this is cool, we can kinda fly a bit." than considering intercontinental travel in jumbo jets as a business. Spaceship two is baby steps in the right direction.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    I cant really see a downside for this program.... except maybe if it goes horribly wrong and lands on my house and kills me.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I don't see anything bad either, more research and engineering is always good, you never know what you'll find that can benefit humanity. And let's hope SpaceShip3 will be fully orbital and cheap space access is finally real =), I want to go to space damnit!
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    serenityship.jpg

please?

Do want.

As for the news, what about that Space hotel set out to be complete in 2012? Sounds cool to me as well, although IMO they were a bit early to conclude that their project will be done in 2012.

Some people dream about having a family. Some people dream to be alone. I dream to go to space, and if at the end of the day I end up going there, I don't really care what happens in between.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Flying in space is more efficient. The only problem is getting there. If you could go orbital with little effort it would be worth it to cruise along in a vaccum. Programs like this may discover a more effective way to get orbital in the first place. Then the sky wouldn't be a limit.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Its not so much travel as it is moderate/small payload to low orbit for Cheap, compared to other booster vehicles. Plus with the non destructive gliding entry the delivery vehicle longevity and lower maintenance requirements should allow for more things to be put into space, not just people.

The fact that people can pay to fly up there, even for just a while, is a great offshoot, and yes it is steps in the right direction, even if it isn't a full travel solution.

Robert Goddard's early liquid fuel rockets didn't even get out of the atmosphere, but they and the private investors who backed them laid the groundwork for projects like the saturn 5.

As far as "risking your life" if you drive anywhere ever you have no place to talk. :)

Also don't forget the airlines didn't just show up with a DC10 one day and ready passengers.

They started as surplus bomber aircraft and transport planes with a lack of bombs or cargo to carry, but pilots who wanted to go somewhere. They started as small chartered flights from point a to point b, usually within a few hundred miles.Transcontinental commercial service didn't happen till the 1950's.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now take all the money, time, and resources spent on the technology to make all this possible, and spend it on something a little more pressing; earth, and its inhabitants.

We've got a fuckton of things to fix on earth before we consider leaving.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now take all the money, time, and resources spent on the technology to make all this possible, and spend it on something a little more pressing; earth, and its inhabitants.

We've got a fuckton of things to fix on earth before we consider leaving.

A lot of things that made life better were born as accidents when trying to achieve some different goal.

If I recall correctly, plastic, and more precisely the generic polymer from which all sorts of plastics are made of varying density, was an accidental result when the Allies were trying to make some kind of rubber during World War 2. Plastics are used EVERYWHERE today, and neglecting the environmental effects they made a lot of products much cheaper to produce and hence made them more affordable.

"Rocket science" is not a narrow branch of science. Very much like astrophysics, it encompasses all areas of physics and science in general. As technology progresses, cheaper and more efficient methods are developed in order to achieve a goal. Say, for example, Virgin engineers end up making an ultra-light, ultra-hard, super-cheap material. It will take some time to get to consumer level, but once it does - think of the possibilities. Cheaper material means cheaper cars, meaning less fuel used, meaning less greenhouse emissions, meaning that the countries will have to spend less time sitting around in their expensive suits somewhere in Copenhagen trying to come up with a plan to reduce CO2 emmisions and failing hard. It also means less money used for you, meaning more food on the table or a Cintiq or your daughter's education.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Getting a few million/billion people off of Earth and into orbital cities and lunar or martian bases would help Earth too.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    an accidental result when the Allies were trying to make some kind of rubber during World War 2. Plastics are used EVERYWHERE today, and neglecting the environmental effects they made a lot of products much cheaper to produce and hence made them more affordable.

Wow, this interesting, its almost like your saying world war 2 was okay because of the amazing technologies that came out of it.

Okay, i'll play devil's advocate, world war 2 expedited our discovery of:
    -plastics
    -nuclear fission
    -jets
    -etc

now, ask yourselves; was that worth the lives of "Over 60 million people "(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties)

And notice, i said "expedited" as in, we probably would have discovered these things anyway.

Say, for example, Virgin engineers end up making an ultra-light, ultra-hard, super-cheap material. It will take some time to get to consumer level, but once it does - think of the possibilities. Cheaper material means cheaper cars, meaning less fuel used, meaning less greenhouse emissions, meaning that the countries will have to spend less time sitting around in their expensive suits somewhere in Copenhagen trying to come up with a plan to reduce CO2 emissions and failing hard. It also means less money used for you, meaning more food on the table or a Cintiq or your daughter's education.

Yes, many things were invented accidentally while trying to achieve something else.

This, is true.

However, inventing these things probably would have been even faster had our efforts been pooled into that goal.

This, is also true.

---

Heres another example.

Lego: we want more money
    lego tech: we could make robots
    Lego: okay, we'll get more money because robots don't have pensions, life insurance, can't sue us, don't have families etc.
    lego tech: but we'll also help advance robot technology which will help with surgeries, bomb recovery etc
    Lego: Yeah, but that's just a side effect, we're just concerned about how much extra money we can make by cutting the middle class out of the equation almost entirely.
    Lego: now i can have 4 gold plated hummers instead of 3!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ohhh now you just fully derailed this thread, but its in a direction i like!

"Lego: we want more money
    lego tech: we could make robots
    Lego: okay, we'll get more money because robots don't have pensions, life insurance, can't sue us, don't have families etc.
    lego tech: but we'll also help advance robot technology which will help with surgeries, bomb recovery etc
    Lego: Yeah, but that's just a side effect, we're just concerned about how much extra money we can make by cutting the middle class out of the equation almost entirely.
    Lego: now i can have 4 gold plated hummers instead of 3!
    "
    ^ Now see the thing is if your job can be done by a robot, then what does that make you?
    Our whole education system is set up to produce two types of people. Brains to be the leaders and teachers of the future, and drones to do the work the mindless jobs so they can live a easy life.
    Now we have robot drones that can do the mindless jobs. So where does that leave the people that were trained for those positions? The whole system is falling apart, its not just a shift of money to india and china, its a shift of money away from the lower class who were doing the work of drones.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, instead of wasting all this time and money on making art for video games why don't you go do something useful with it out in the world?

The argument that the resources spent to make spaceship one happen could be better serving humanity are just as ludicrous as suggesting that throwing money at a problem can solve it.

But lets take that premise for a second, that our collective effort can solve anything. Well why doesn't all of polycount, all 16 thousand of us, stop doing anything art related, and pool all that time and effort and money into say, curing cancer. Guess how far we'll get. No where. Know why? Because maybe 5 of us know a damn thing about cancer as it relates to human biology and about 3 of those people actively are interested in it. Also of the 16 thousand forum members, about what percentage actually has the technical knowhow to understand human biology at the chemical/cellular level?
    I've seen people's eyes glaze over at simple vector mathematics, despite the fact that it is intrinsic to the art they make and games they play/make every day.

Spaceship one, and its successor weren't the result of some government contract to make entertainment for rich people. They're the latest in a long line of aircraft designed and built by someone interested and committed to aviation, and suggesting that his expertise in that field could somehow be "better used" is like saying that you are qualified to do open heart surgery because a pen and a scalpel are similar in shape.

Moreover all inventions need a reason to be pursued. Real life doesn't come with a tech tree to follow. Its not as if nuclear power was a known idea, the words "atom" and "atomic" come from greek meaning "uncuttable" it was long thought to be a basic unit of matter that could not be reduced. So tell me how exactly you'd convince a collective of people to get behind something that the conventional wisdom of the day said was impossible?

That aside why is it that the general thought is that companies want more money just so they can have ridiculous stuff? How many gold plated hummers do you see in Bill Gate's yard?

Ever think that it takes money to make money? Every dollar you don't spend on production expenses is one more dollar you can use for a new product or even an entirely new branch of business, thus creating more of those jobs your quip is so concerned about. If it were not for mechanization a significant portion of us would have to be working on farms just to feed the rest of us. That was a money motivated move, farmers could hire fewer people and harvest more crops, more money for the farmer. Net result is you have more career options since someone a few decades ago didn't have to go harvest food, and could pursue something they were interested in instead.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Asherr wrote: »
    Getting a few million/billion people off of Earth and into orbital cities and lunar or martian bases would help Earth too.

who would feed them? Bit laputan isn't it?

I often dreamed of my death in space when I was younger. Maybe this is my destiny.

I'll probably be on one of these though:

veh3_008s.jpg
    (pan am space clipper in 2001)

But yes, anyone who reads Stephen Baxter will know that the future of space travel is through commercial ventures in the private sector, not governments.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Vailias wrote: »
    Hey, instead of wasting all this time and money on making art for video games why don't you go do something useful with it out in the world?

groupShot.jpg
    (John Carmack with his team at Armadillo)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I love these threads. You know art and sports are useful since they inspire people that have the brains to build rockets but can't imagine them. So before you go saying that artists don't do anything for humanity and should just focus on science and shit like that, shut the hell up and realize what we do, inspire people that don't have that gift and does change and give meaning to peoples life.

Also games do have very nice side effects as well. They help people improve their hand eye coordination, and help with training.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    OK... playing Devil's Advocate here..

WWII expedited the advancement of computers...

What about the untold millions that computers have saved, the increased quality of life around the world and the power to fix what we broke on the planet?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/burt_rutan_sees_the_future_of_space.html

Nuff said.

Imo anyone arguing against researching something because they cant see the benefit should be shot.

Imagine if the dude that invented the laser just stopped because he didnt know what it could be used for...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do want.

As for the news, what about that Space hotel set out to be complete in 2012? Sounds cool to me as well, although IMO they were a bit early to conclude that their project will be done in 2012.

Some people dream about having a family. Some people dream to be alone. I dream to go to space, and if at the end of the day I end up going there, I don't really care what happens in between.
    Sooo some lucky guy gets to stuff your ashes into a small rocket and hopes you don't explode on launch? Make sure they include a note "If found please reassemble". =P

But who knows maybe it will be affordable in our lifetime.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    OK... playing Devil's Advocate here..

WWII expedited the advancement of computers...

What about the untold millions that computers have saved, the increased quality of life around the world and the power to fix what we broke on the planet?

well, once you factor in the war of the machines its still a loss overall.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, once you factor in the war of the machines its still a loss overall.

War on Poverty imo. Send the homeless into space.
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    dolemite wrote: »
    War on Poverty imo. Send the homeless into space.

I don't think cardboard boxes, hold up well to space void.

Also,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGas0D9_zgI[/ame]
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Sooo some lucky guy gets to stuff your ashes into a small rocket and hopes you don't explode on launch? Make sure they include a note "If found please reassemble". =P

But who knows maybe it will be affordable in our lifetime.

Haha, yeah, I'd rather have my ashes float as an object in space (cookie to whoever gets the reference) than be scattered on earth and end up in someone's dinner.

Off topic, but I like your subtitle.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    this:

02_supergun.jpg
    really sad story behind that one.a guy called gerard bull wanted to create a space gun, to shoot stuff to the moon, and ended up building that thing for the iraqis, after his funding got cut off. iraq claimed it was for a space program, nobody believed them, the babylon gun parts were seized, and the israelis assassinated bull.

another option is a large variant of this:
    AIR_Weather_Balloon_Launch_w_Radiosonde_lg.jpg
    space zeppelins!
    you could combine this:
    shuttle747_nasa_big.jpg
    with this:
    000-0731064037-blimp.jpg
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I would do it if I had the money! Fuck yea