Home Technical Talk

UV issues when changing texture size to NOT square

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
So I'm using max 2010 and I have a prop completely unwrapped and textured but now instead of it sharing a texture with something else, it needs to have its own texture. So this means instead of it using a 512x512 it needs to be 512x256.

Here is the issue. How do i get max to just "crop" that extra space WITH OUT having to scale the UVs.

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    You can mess with the tiling of the image, etc in the Max standard shader, but I don't know that any games support this kind of of cropping.

What issues are you trying to avoid by not scaling the UVs?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just trying to keep the UVs lined up exactly.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    In xsi i can load a texture in the uv-editor of the size i want to export to, maybe this works in max?

I always thought max had a option box to change the image size.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does but when i do that it squishes the Uv's
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UVW Window > Options > Preferences > Render Width/height

fgggseer.jpg

Never used it myself thoug has I never quite got the point of it. Seeing as when you do a planar map or whatever, it won't come out right, it'll get the same stretched proportions as the 0-1 area.

There's prolly some way to fix this, not all too familiar with the feature. But if you already have the texture done then I guess it'd simply be a matter of lining them up and therefore the stretching shouldn't be an issue?

/edit: Too late :p

Seriously though. If the squishing of uv's is a problem, and you need to re-unwrap it or whatever. Just unwrap your prop to half of the space and then scale them. As said though, if it's already unwrapped and you need to fit your uv's to a texture, then the squishing of uv's shouldn't be a problem as it'd be squished into its proper dimension.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    If you're having trouble getting the scaled version to line up perfectly you can always duplicate your unscaled UVs to channel 2, and scale them in channel 2, then bake your maps from channel 1 UVs to channel 2 UVs and then copy your new UVs back to channel 1.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but have you tried the UVW Xform modifier? Set V Tiling to .5, and you might need to use a negative V Offset too. To see the UVs, put a UVW Unwrap on top, open Edit, and hit Reset UVW after each Xform.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, Eric has it - use the UVW XForm modifier. That way you can guarantee it's a perfect move/scale by a given value.