Home General Discussion

Replies

• konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I feel like what might be happening is the trailers/style might be an attempt at getting peoples expectations low. sort of a- "kill the hype" that would inherently follow a Cameron movie, so when people see it they`ll be surprised rather than let down. maybe were all being tricked into thinking this is going to be some super simplistic Hollywood popcorn flick, with standard setting visuals (transformers) when in reality it will be a meaty movie on all fronts.

...but I doubt it.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    if cameron fucks with alita with real caracters and dull movie im gonna puke my liver out
    and i swear, he will do the boring part with the annoying hugo, like the shitty anime did
    the really cool story begins in last order
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr wrote: »
    Think I'd rather go see New Moon

get out.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    if cameron fucks with alita with real caracters and dull movie im gonna puke my liver out
    and i swear, he will do the boring part with the annoying hugo, like the shitty anime did

out of all directors on the earth, every single one, cameron will destroy alita?

I read quite a long back that the alita story would be around when she is racing the hardcore races, but it might be different now, and he'd do it like avatar, a few human actors and cg for the enviroments and the non humanoid cyborgs I'd guess.

ps. gunnm is post apocalyptic win, I love that roaming the outside world the most of that series.

never got to last order yet, only the first chapter I think.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It is easy to criticize it when it hasnt been released but they do ask for trouble with the things they say. Its like being promised a really great present for christmas, and being given an orange, maybe it wont be though.

Moreso than Avatar, I'm looking forward to this.

http://wherethewildthingsare.warnerbros.com/#/Splash

Hardly been hyped or even heard of, alot less cgi than there could have been.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    alita....

So, it just started to get cool, huh? Like 20 years after Alita was created?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Dekard wrote: »
    /me joins the ferngully train.

It just doesn't appeal to me. Most creatures in all society 'blend' in to their surroundings or they get eaten. Why would blue people live in a green forest.

Yeah shoulda made em look like ewoks
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The latest reason I don't like avatar? Lets make it soooo dumbeddown Americans will eat it up.

What's a name of a rock we can't obtain? UNOBTAINIUM! THATS AWESOME!!

We have a selfish prick CEO bad guy, what can we name him? Parker Selfridge

We have a sympathizer named Grace.

So will there be an angsty person named Angsty McGee... you know because he's all angsty!!?

Blah
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It still pales in comparison to to the virginal girl in Twilight being called Bella Swan.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8

I'm only going to join this on the periphery of this argument, but yeah - the naming seems particularly lazy. I actually thought that Unobtanium was some sort of writer's in-joke when watching that human tech preview video, but then I realized that is the name of the mineral.

I wonder how many of these decisions were Cameron's direct input, and how many were 'suggested' to him by studio execs for the sake of accessibility and box office appeal.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    This looks awesome and Im gonna see it.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    8 euro for for a good day of going to the cinema with some friends and watching a movie full of CG and explosions and action? Why not.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest reason I don't like avatar? Lets make it soooo dumbeddown Americans will eat it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtanium

(Though I somewhat agree about the character names.)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    So, it just started to get cool, huh? Like 20 years after Alita was created?
    gramma nazi
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    its nowhere close to the crazyness going on in starwars naming though :)
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen the movie. It's unbelievable.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    vargatom wrote: »
    I've seen the movie. It's unbelievable.

I really hope so. I am going to hit up the midnight showing tonight.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtanium

(Though I somewhat agree about the character names.)

yeah stupid name but its a real term, so I don't blame him for using it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I just came back from seeing it last night. Mind blown, now that's a movie.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty awesome. :)

Story was pretty much Fern Gully but still really awesome. :p
    And very very long... ouch...

[edit] Ah... this is where my post went. Confused by the two threads going [/edit]
  • Hitez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Star Wars in 5 lines is dull, it's trailer suggested a movie that's pretty dull, in fact if you read the entire script on its own it's still dull. Yet almost every single one of us on this forum got into the entire CG business because that movie owned our childhood.

All I'm saying is that it's the execution that matters, the directing, the pacing, the acting can all make even a dull story into an awesome movie... so we can't judge that to be good or bad based on the trailer only. But it's all the stuff that Cameron usually gets done right, even in Titanic... So why write off this movie as a rental, especially after seeing all the other crap I've mentioned in the theaters?
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    I am believe that Avatar is a movie I wont ever forget, and will probably rant on about how amazing i thought it was through my time. why? because of everything vargatom has been saying. some people are being so ignorant, find one little issue and nitpick the movie away to turn people off, make themselves appear more intelligent(if possible). people always try to battle the flow.
    are the haters itching to find something to argue with?
    the movie is captivating, the environments draw you in, I really found myself attached to their world and one of the key events near the middle of the movie had me feeling for them.
    Can't deny this: a movie is art and the art in this movie is amazing.
    the plot is by no means entirely original, but what the hell is these days? you can't go into a theater and hope that the plot will be revolutionary.. what were you guys expecting? the story does have excellent pace and execution, however. there are many intense moments and the fight scenes are entertaining to the max.
    before you cynical asshats try and do more damage, open up, relax, and enjoy.

/raging forum splurg