Home General Discussion

FF8 is driving me crazy

Replies

• Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Mezz wrote: »
    P.s. Anyone else getting REALLY excited for FF13? The beautiful graphics are BLOWING my mind!!

Im more exited for Versus XIII - BUT XIII does look insane man, I'm hangin for it bigtime.

Everyone whose commenting in this thread is naming games from my stack - even Legend of Legaia! Legaia 2 was pretty bad tho man, hard as nails but 1 was way way way better than 2.

Vagrant story without a doubt one of the top square RPG's period - so wish they'd doa sequel, the battle / weapon system was brilliant. I just finished it again on PSP - was my 'before sleep' game.

Thread De-railer ahead:

Obscure / lesser talked about RPG time - did anyone play / enjoy?

Baiten Kaitos 1 / 2
    Unlimited Saga
    Wild Arms 1-4
    Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land
    Star Ocean 1 - 4
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Obscure / lesser talked about RPG time - did anyone play / enjoy?

Didnt play any of those you listed, but I'd like to add to that list with Terranigma on SNES! That was awesome :p
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Speaking of Squaresoft...am I the only one who bought Brave Fencer Musashi? I fucking LOVED that game to death. (especially the FFVIII demo that came with it. =D)

That reminds me...I traded in my copy of FFVII to get the platinum (greatest hits) version of it, just because it came with an additional disc previewing two FMV's from FFVIII. I am saaaaaaad....:D
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    someone said something about parasite eve...game was amazing. also dunno how you can have ffx over 8...thats just wrong, the voices were so annoying and the mini game was way worse.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    parasite eve was awesome. 'the cinematic rpg' lol.

and 10 was also awesome as hell. one of the few FF's I actually played all the way through. most i only get ~60-70% through.

and fuckin' hell.. I've gotten to disc 3 of FF9 THREE TIMES but every time either my save dies or i lose my mem card... I want to try it again but I don't know if I have the courage.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I never finished FFX. The sphere board thing and the Blitzball pissed me right the hell off and those things in combination with how annoying the main character was just made me rage.

I liked XII much, much better, but I never finished it because I had other stuff to do and I eventually sold my PS2.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    bounchfx wrote: »
    one of my favorites

8 > 7

eat it.

DIE DIE DIE

8 never got my attention like 7 did.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Vassago wrote: »
    DIE DIE DIE

8 never got my attention like 7 did.

eat it. sucks 4 u :)
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Basically everything Square released for the PS1 that had a cover that was predominantly white was amazing.

Case in point:

bushido_blade.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    bounchfx wrote: »
    eat it. sucks 4 u :)

shut it n00b! :D

@Matt - Bushido 1 was pure awesomesauce. I loved the overhead 1-blow head strikes, haha! My brother hated that. :D

@EricWK - yeah, I bought Tobal #1 JUST for the FFVII demo. But it turned out to be pretty damned great itself
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Yo Final Fantasy 8, You had a good run and all But I just gotta say

Crono Trigger was the best RPG of ALL time!

kanye_west.jpg
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    seforin wrote: »
    Yo Final Fantasy 8, You had a good run and all But I just gotta say

Crono Trigger was the best RPG of ALL time!

facepalm.jpg

Yes, CHRONO TRIGGER in "gemeral" was amazing.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Zilk wrote: »
    facepalm.jpg

Yes, CHRONO TRIGGER in "gemeral" was amazing.

1254030728946.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    this is where it's at, the core of j-rpgs, shitty gameplay, awesome presentation and story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1ehI1nxT4
    As much as I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, I have to say it was more of a disappointment to me than anything. The first part (The very first part) With the Wohl Highlands, the disaster, and then fighting the undead knights instilled the feeling of a very dark game in me, and I was thoroughly disappointed when it was pretty much the same damned shit every other jrpg is about. I expected the game to be about the world progressing around Kaim, and how painful and lonely it is to be immortal, knowing that you will outlast everyone you meet. And within minutes you meet another immortal. And another, and another. It's disappointing, imo. Personally, I think that it should have taken place over a much longer period of time, possibly hundreds of years, with kaim as an observer of the world around him, watching the changes, and fighting countless pointless wars.
    ahah.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Personally, I think that it should have taken place over a much longer period of time, possibly hundreds of years, with kaim as an observer of the world around him, watching the changes, and fighting countless pointless wars.
    ahah.

this is exactly what I thought the game was going to be. shame to hear it's not. I was REALLY looking forward to it, never got around to it though since I only heard somewhat decent things about it. still pretty, though. I dig the concept, at least, what I thought the concept was, as you mentioned.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    Basically everything Square released for the PS1 that had a cover that was predominantly white was amazing.

Case in point:

bushido_blade.jpg

I would love to see a current generation version of Bushido Blade.. get some nice slow perfect timing attacks going rather than the ADD spazz attacks going around. :D
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    8 > 7

eat it.
    Agreed!

Why was The Last Remnant a flop by Square Enix? Anyone know? I never really played it more than 5 minutes. It was a demo. Usually anything they touch turns to gold.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8 is awesome, I love the card game especially. Have played it to 100% more times then i can count.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Speaking of awesome card games within JRPGs... anyone play the first Xenosaga on PS2?

Now, say what you will about the game (personally, I enjoyed the series, despite how weeeirrrd it got...) but I frickin' LOVED it's card mini-game! It was very Magic the Gathering-esque I thought, and really addictive. Definately spent a loooot of hours of the game on that.

And another word about FFX--Yes, the characters could be a bit cheesy, but I felt that added to the really serious undertones of the game. Tidus himself was an annoying surfer-type character, but despite him not being my favourite character in the game, imo it all worked really well with him being like that.
    The funeral scene where Yuna does the dance on water will forever be etched into my mind. That was one of the moments of my life that lead me to where I am today--"Holy. Crap. This is so beautiful. *I* would LOVE to be able to make something like this..." (Fast foward--looking for a career in video game art :D)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    9 and 7 captured the magic for me. I dunno what it is, but I don't have nostalgia for 8 like I do for 7 and 9. I probably would like it a lot more if you could skip through the GF animations. All I would do in battles is tons of GFs over and over without being able to skip. So annoying.

I really enjoyed and liked the universes/characters in 10 and 12 too. Probably in my second tier of favorites along with 8.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wait you guys actually manage to sit through hours of that same old BS?
    I mean yeah it's pretty but ... seriously ...
    :O

BTW I love Tobal#1
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, it's serious stuff,

I remember when I went to listen to the distant worlds concert, and they started playing some of the angsty ff8 soundtrack, the music was nearly muffled by all the sniffling around me.

never having played much of ff8 I didn't feel anything /shrug

But goddamn, ff8 has the best battletheme of the whole series.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Mezz wrote: »
    The funeral scene where Yuna does the dance on water will forever be etched into my mind. That was one of the moments of my life that lead me to where I am today--"Holy. Crap. This is so beautiful. *I* would LOVE to be able to make something like this..." (Fast foward--looking for a career in video game art :D)

Here here to that man, one of many square enix defining moments for me too.

One thing always bugged me about FF's and that is that the most epic boss fights are always hidden. I only recently got 100% in FF XII - and fighting yiazmat was definately the most epic fight in any rpg i can remember.

Despite having a full set of gambits up to protect and heal my team i was constantly juggling them in out with replacement, throwing items in there myself etc controlling characters running them around the back of him so the other 2 could wail on him from behind and tank up and take his ultimate attack etc etc it was just awesome. And to keep doing that for hours on end - when he finally died it was like.... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! EAT IT!!!!

Such a shame that some of the most epic / huge bosses in final fantasy are never seen though - the artwork is mind boggling! so many moments where im finding myself going.. htf did they do this ???
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    I love FF8, but I never got to finish it (last CD left). Maybe some day.

Actually today, I have uninstalled The Last Remnant demo. I was very curious to see a FF-like game on PC and running with the UE3. What can I say? I found it most of the time... beautiful but boring.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Someone mentioned Chrono Cross and I'd have to say that game is better than all the PS1 Final Fantasies. Awesome fighting system, amazing story, memorable characters, great graphics and sound and replay value up the wazoo considering how many different ways and combination's of characters you could play through with.

Yeah, i did mention it, and I'm with you, it's way better than all Final Fantasy titles, Chrono Cross has amazing story and art.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Since I graduated some while back I've been going through the Final Fantasys to catch up. I've finished 7, 8, 9, 10, started X-2 and 12. Could not finish X-2 for the life of me though I love the battle set up (like the ability to heal your party even after the enemy has died).

I dragged my feet through 9. I heard a lot of great things about it but I found myself asking at the end of each session, "When is this going to get good?" The characters were charismatic but the story was just so blah.