Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Post & Scholar's Garden

Hi Polycounters, I'm new!

I'm a game art student getting ready to graduate and I'd like to get some critiques on my senior project to take it to the next level. The concept is a traditional Scholar's Garden. Rendered in UDK.

UPDATE: new render with critiques applied. any comments on this or the prop sheets below would be appreciated!

sunset_final.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Lookin pretty dope! Got any renders of the individual props?

Everything looks really good, but I would like to see some sort of more dynamic / interesting lighting going on. Maybe some of those red-ball-hanging-light-things have a light on in them, or a light source coming from the top of the tower-structure in the upper left. Or from inside that room on the left. Something to make me wonder "what's going on in/over there?"

I would personally scale that tree in the back up by about 25% or so just to make it stand out a tad more. The ground grass texture doesn't really seem to hold up resolution-wise IMO.

Good looking stuff. Good to hear about AISD students using UDK :)
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    looks great! might you post a wireframe? maybe a different angle as well?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Ott wrote: »
    Good looking stuff. Good to hear about AISD students using UDK :)

A ton of us at AISD troll polycount like mad. We tried getting UDK on the computers at school but that's not happenin' anytime soon due to license costs etc.

Anyhow, hey George glad you posted up your work. The water looks dope!! I'm with OTT on the lit lanterns hanging to the right. That would be interesting, and would create some cool lighting with UDK's new emissive lighting.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That looks fucking awesome, id love you even more if the colours were a tad richer in places... that and a bigger picture to fap to.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice scene

Needs more high contrast lighting IMHO, especially the sky.
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    @Kaburan: The UDK is free as far as I know.
    Gcochrane: The cherry tree looks a little lost, it may not be accurate, but maybe you can bump up the saturation on the flowers, also the rocks on the left looks a little rushed, Really nice piece though! Good work!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    BeserK wrote: »
    @Kaburan: The UDK is free as far as I know.

Not commercially however, this includes educational institutions.
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Consider me chastised.
    Each student individually however, can legally use the UDK, as long as they don't charge anyone anything for what they make.
    Just a sneaky suggestion!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looking nice! Things I would change are the water colour, it's too saturated, the dammage on the pillars is too much, try to localise it more.
    Ditto on the grass although it wasn't immediately obvious.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really neat! +1 for lighting the lanterns and enlarging the tree, I think. Could we see some wires too, I've love to get a good look at your vegetation. :)
  • Gcochrane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments and critiques everyone, I'm actually playing with the emissive lanterns right now! Applying the critiques and will post some individual prop renders with wires soon as I can.

@Ott & BeserK: I'm new to UDK but between UDN and Hourences I'm loving it. A decent free engine is a godsend for students.

@Ben & Jackwhat: I actually desaturated and knocked down contrast in the post process volume but now I'm thinking it was too severe :)

@GCMP: You're right that water is too saturated, the pillars are actually engraved but I see they're not reading right. Did you mean the grass foliage was too saturated also?

@3DLee & Andybozo: Wireframes coming up! I'm pretty sure the vegetation tri count is too high, but I look forward to feedback on it.

@kaburan: Thanks!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    No the grass colour looks okay - I was agreeing on Ott's comment about the grass texture being a bit blurry, the res needs attention... but... now you mention it, it could do with a bit more colour/saturation, so the opposite of what you were thinking.
  • Gcochrane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah gotcha, I missed that one - the ground mesh actually has a normal on it, I was trying to break up the smoothness but I think it's actually causing the lumpy/blurry look.
  • Gcochrane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some individual props and wires. If I missed anything in particular someone wants to see I'll happily post it. Critiques please! Especially any thoughts on tri counts, I'm still not sure what sort of numbers I should be shooting for.

- the scene render is a lighting preview build, so there's some nasty shadow artifacts. pretend you don't see those...

EDIT: just realized tiledshot is not capturing the real time reflection in the water. anyone know a work around for that?

bridge.jpg

doorBench.jpg

foliage.jpg

veranda.jpg

lantern.jpg

garden_hiRez.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I feel that your water is too blue. I'd lean more towards black/green
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The water needs to be more reflective and less saturated and a darker blue green.