polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
this game is just driving me insane !!!

1- the game is very long
2- Characters are so attractive as design , and there animation is smooth
3- all the music tracks never gets old
4- an amazing story
5- a lot of characters , not like most of the games where you see a lot of duplicated stuff
6- backgrounds are pre-rendered with layers , just imagine how that would be not easy to make
7- it was made a long time a go where there were not a lot of software and stuff
8- amazing variety , playing with cards , a lot of scripts between a person and another
9- complicated system , junction , magic , where did they have the time to code all of this !!! ,
10- mimicing pixel shader at that time , notice 0:58 , only the pixel's of the monster are being affected , wow , at that time , ps1 , [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFW04YiVgc[/ame]

etc etc ...

how did they not give up , it is made up of 4 CDs , I played the 1 and playing the second , the playing time reached 24 hours , wow , amazing ...

i can't resist playing it , struggling with mechatronics engineering [3rd year] and directing a film , but i can't stop playing it , it's amazing , not making an ad , but how did they make it , I'm about to cry , how much time did they spend on making it ??

AMAZED :thumbup: , I have already finished final fantasy XII [12 , with 88 hours] , but this VIII amazed me more than the XII , what do you think

script : http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_viii_script.txt

also someone made videos of the game being played , ...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6744B897B02054DC

165 videos , also for other games , this guy should get a life , he must have spent a lot of time to do that !!!

I also ask myself , why would someone bother writing up the script in a txt file , what for ??? , what did he gain ?

sorry for poor english skills

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    one of my favorites

8 > 7

eat it.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    this is probably the most enthusiastic praise I've seen anyone make towards any game!
    bounchfx wrote: »
    8 > 7

eat it.

6 > 8
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    for those of you that dont know... FF6 is actually 3, in north america. and ya, i agree. 3/6 = badass!

but belias... why is it driving you insane? that generally means you`re frusterated with the game. though, sounds like you love it
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    i'm frustrated because i want to make a game like ff8 or metal gear !!!

look at my old stupid tries !!! :(

menu & two tests

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbG2S6GQxBo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5idiQMPuwA[/ame]

notice at around one minute ... :)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGskM2x2DNk[/ame]

first , finish Mechatronics while directing a film , then make my games company !!!

wooo ...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Yozora wrote: »
    this is probably the most enthusiastic praise I've seen anyone make towards any game!

6 > 8

this is correct, yet also irrelevant to me here. topic is about 8 which is always compared to 7.

and I'm still waiting for S-E to remake FF5 and especially 6/3 on DS like they did for 3/4 ...ughhh, would be so fucking awesome.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    bounchfx wrote: »
    one of my favorites

8 > 7

eat it.

Yes.

Best game ever crafted by the hands of man in my opinion.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    They weren't just MERELY men Blenderhead...

THEY

WERE

GAWDS!
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    i never can decide what i like more 7 or 8. Booth are awesome
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    sooo, am I the only one who inst fond of them?
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    chrizz1 wrote: »
    sooo, am I the only one who inst fond of them?
    Nope. I can't stand any of the Final Fantasy games. That's why I don't participate in threads about them. What's your reason for posting?
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Rox wrote: »
    Nope. I can't stand any of the Final Fantasy games. That's why I don't participate in threads about them. What's your reason for posting?

A board would kinda suck if it all had the same opinion, but yer touch
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I loved 7 but didn't like 8 much... Squall was too much of a jerk.
    I like him much better in Kingdom Hearts.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I liked FFX the most, Auron is a badass
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    4,6 > all of the others

The thing about 8 that I didn't like was how reliant you are on your summons. For the PS1 I'll take 7 followed by 9 over 8.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    God, I played this game so much. I remember popping it in the Playstation just so I could play the Triple Triad minigame. That shit was so friggin' addictive.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    wat you need to make an awesome rpg:
    graphic artists and a good fighting system, (i once made a concept for the system and it worked very well)
    and if your game is working like ace you need story story story otherwise it becomes crap
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    What about 9 FFS! 12 was better than all of them.

Anyway, one mans wine is another mans urine.

(I just made that up.)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ urine i wonder why usine isnt used as blood conserve
    i mean its pretty much the same as blood + its already filtered^^
  • Xenobond
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    It only took 4CD's because of the FMV's.

I like 9 over 8 any day.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/final-fantasy-viii/
    -this guy's a bit of a dork and he's often hung up about stupid shit.. but....

yeah. ff8 is a piece of shit.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Swizzle wrote: »
    God, I played this game so much. I remember popping it in the Playstation just so I could play the Triple Triad minigame. That shit was so friggin' addictive.

Guilty of that too man, 8 would definately be my favourite final fantasy! That bloody triple triad was rediculously addictive, I remember trying for so long to get my full deck - maybe 20 hours or more playing opponents that would only play their ultimate card once every 10 games or something, and because whilst playing them you had the 'random' deck shuffle going on you couldnt help but HOPE you got delt a good hand from your deck otherwise ... YOU LOOSE!

And then when you lost they took your best card from you hand delt... and there was no way they were getting away with my jumbo cactaur card!!!... ARHGAKRGAJHGR!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    7 was king. 9 was cool. 8 was toootally lame, except for the spider mech and some of the summons.

FF Tactics is still my fav though.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/final-fantasy-viii/
    -this guy's a bit of a dork and he's often hung up about stupid shit.. but....

yeah. ff8 is a piece of shit.

Thank you John Warner... This thread almost got away with murder. John, I think im your biggest fan!

aw you edited it...
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Slum wrote: »
    7 was king. 9 was cool. 8 was toootally lame, except for the spider mech and some of the summons.

FF Tactics is still my fav though.

Agreed. I bought FFT: Grimoire of the Rift the day it was released, and I swear it's one of the best games on the DS, and one of my favorite Final Fantasy titles ever.

After that I bought FF3 and man, that game was fucking hard. Great value for money, though. I think it's the only Final Fantasy where I've had to grind mobs to level up enough to take down a boss.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVED FF:Tactics.
    Awesome customization, incredible story and such a great art style. :3
    Never did get into the GBA games though
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    9>8>7
    (The dialogue in 7 was terrible, TERRIBLE)
    And also Tactics (PSX) is the best anyways.
    Also 6 and 5 are fucking ACE
    (5 is such a magical fucking game, play it, really)
    (Also the Mana Series is ace too, as far as squaresoft RPG games go)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Speaking of Squaresoft...am I the only one who bought Brave Fencer Musashi? I fucking LOVED that game to death. (especially the FFVIII demo that came with it. =D)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Brave Fencer Musashi, Threads of Fate and Vagrant Story.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    vagrant story was awesome
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Isn't Vagrant Story coming to PSN? It's one of my great unfinished games and was the demons souls of it's day.

As hard as nails.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    vagrant story was awesome

Vagrant Story was awesome. Such a great style to it. That'd be great if it was coming to the PSN, I never finished it.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I really liked 7 and loved the style in FF9. I really didn't like ff8 that much, I prefer the style of FF9 and 7 more than the realistic look. It was still really fun though.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    They had passion, they had inspiration, they had talent, they had one of the best japaneses RPG on the market on their back. THEY HAD to do something good! They were doing FINAL FANTASY for god sakes.

I like Chrono Cross more tho ;)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    danshewan wrote: »
    Agreed. I bought FFT: Grimoire of the Rift the day it was released, and I swear it's one of the best games on the DS, and one of my favorite Final Fantasy titles ever.

Yeah, it's an awesome game. I was really digging it until I got to the big sand monster in the pit - killed me 500 times and I gave up. Unless I get some cheats I doubt I'll get back to it..too rough.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    7, 8 and 9 all have a special flavor that they never managed to capture in later games. 6 was also brilliant. My favorite of the bunch is 7, but 8 and 9 are also really good. triple triad in 8 is the best side quest/minigame of all time - probably.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you guys ever played gothic/gothic2 ?
    those are all german, extremely buggy and overwall relly rude but everyone around here played it and loved it
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, I swear, over the years I find more and more people that love 8... which is crazy, cause up until about a couple years ago, it seemed everyone hated it and I had to defend it all the time :(

I woulnd't say it's my favourite, but I'd defiantely say it's up there. I put FF 6(/3) and FFX up there in the top spots.
    FF 6 has irreplaceable nostalgia to me, and despite it's age, I can still play it over and over and love it as much as ever. FFX I think is underappreciated a lot of the time, because, not only did it have a great battle system, but I thought the plot was very well made and thought out, and everytime I've played the game (a few times now :P) I get more and more out of it. I can see how it can get confusing for some, but there's a lot going on just under the surface of that plot that's truly brilliant.

But since this IS a thread about 8... I still love that game too, and can still replay it and not get bored. (If it's not clear, I'm one for replaying games I love quite a few times :P hehe) I'm still impressed by the graphics, I still enjoy the story, I love getting down and dirty with the Junction system, and you're all right: THE CARD GAME IS CRACK. FF9's was ok, but has NOTHING on this one!

P.s. Anyone else getting REALLY excited for FF13? The beautiful graphics are BLOWING my mind!!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg Vagrant story is so amazingly hard. I remember hitting a dragon with a spear for literally 2 hrs until it died, because I hadn't saved since i started, and didnt want to lose my progress. Seriously, I circle strafed that asshole hitting him for 1-2 damage, chipping away at his 5000+ hp bar.
    Good.Fucking.Times.
    (I knew I should have crafted that dragon lance..)
    Also, gotta say, my Fav PSX rpg that isn't squaresoft has to be Legend Of Legaia.
    So damned good. Anyone else played that one?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    on the topic of square RPG's, you guys remember parasite eve? that game was awesome.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Also, gotta say, my Fav PSX rpg that isn't squaresoft has to be Legend Of Legaia.
    So damned good. Anyone else played that one?

I have played this one... actually, I still own it :P (apparently it's quite rare! :O) I have a friend that really liked it, but I couldn't get through it myself... I thought the battle system was fun enough, but imo the story and characters were SO contrived JRPG stereotypes that I just couldn't bring myself to keep going :p
    If I had to hear one more badly made converstaion...

But yeah, I definately remember the battle system being what kept me going! :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    I have played this one... actually, I still own it :P (apparently it's quite rare! :O) I have a friend that really liked it, but I couldn't get through it myself... I thought the battle system was fun enough, but imo the story and characters were SO contrived JRPG stereotypes that I just couldn't bring myself to keep going :p
    If I had to hear one more badly made converstaion...

But yeah, I definately remember the battle system being what kept me going! :)

It's been a while since i've played it (I got about half way through when I was around 10-12 ish)
    So, I dusted off my copy and started playing. Yes, the characters are glaring stereotypes, but I love it. Great battle system, good memories, you know the drill, ahah.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Parasite Eve? Incredible! Absolutely amazing. I highly enjoyed both of them. I could really enjoy seeing a new one.. But I'm suprised people liked FFX. I felt like the character design was terrible, music subpar, and the characters just annoying with cheesy voice acting. FFXII was definitely the better of the two PS2 FF games.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    arrangemonk: gothic 1 and 2 are two of my all time favorite rpgs! they might be rough around the edges, but they have incredible atmosphere and great gameplay. I actually really wanted to go work for pb back in the day, but i didn't want to go back to learning german, cuz i hated it in school. :P

didn't care much for gothic 3 even tho it was a decent game. Recently i've been playing risen (on pc) which is a worthy spiritual successor to the two first gothic games.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my, Gothic is an amazing game, yes, but my computer hates it and therefore I cannot participate in the appreciation of it. Hm, has anybody played Silent Storm? It's a very amazing strategy game from russia, destructible environments, difficult, and wonderful. Probably one of my favorite games (Lite Rpg elements!)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Xenogears > all PS1 FF games. SUCK IT!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Slash wrote: »
    didn't care much for gothic 3 even tho it was a decent game.

Urgh, Gothic 3 was awful. Didn't look too bad, and I was actually looking forward to getting stuck in, but during the very first fight with the Orcs, I encountered a bug that allowed an Orc to keep knocking me down without allowing me to fight back. Every time I'd almost get to my feet and be able to attack, but then he'd knock me flat on my ass again - rinse, repeat, frustrating death, kthxbye.
    Yeah, it's an awesome game. I was really digging it until I got to the big sand monster in the pit - killed me 500 times and I gave up. Unless I get some cheats I doubt I'll get back to it..too rough.

Yeah, that one was a toughie, but the end boss was an absolute bastard. There were some pretty hairy encounters with Illua in the last third or so of the game, too. It took me a long time of slowly chipping away at it to finish it.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone mentioned Chrono Cross and I'd have to say that game is better than all the PS1 Final Fantasies. Awesome fighting system, amazing story, memorable characters, great graphics and sound and replay value up the wazoo considering how many different ways and combination's of characters you could play through with.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    this is where it's at, the core of j-rpgs, shitty gameplay, awesome presentation and story.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1ehI1nxT4[/ame]
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    FF9 > the rest

The only Final Fantasy that does not pretend to be dark and mature, even though some of its characters and themes are hardly common in games.
    It gets only more ridiculous as it goes on and Zidane is a pimp.

That said, I really liked all of them (except FFXII, couldn't get into it) but most of the time they are so unintentionally cheesy that I cannot treat them seriously. Now FFIX on the other hand, never aims to be about anything else than a going on an adventure, getting the girl and saving the world – and it works surprisingly well in its favour.