Home General Discussion

Zbrush 3.5 R3 Released :D

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/zbrush350r3/

ALL MAJOR PLUGINS ARE NOW BUILT IN TO LATEST RELEASE.

and a quick EDIT: apparently our same links could be updated, or they will email us automatically. said it could take a few days for your new download link.

Pretty huge upgrade for a release of what's still considered 3.5. Polish brushes look pretty incredible, especially since there was a decline in the quality of the "flatten" brushes since 3.1. They definitely seem to fill that void, without limiting yourself to a planar brush.

Anyway, I can't seem to figure out how to download this...but i'm working on it.

Replies

• binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is this i don't even
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    OMG yes. If the booleans actually work, it's gonna save me a shitload of time on my current project. I wish they'd update all the plugins though.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Seems they have the major plugins' updates included in the R3 update, at least all the ones that I've learned to use and love. Now I just have to wait until IT here upgrades us, which could take a while.. :P
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    did they fix it this time? I think I'm the only one using 3.5R2 in the studio....because I'm crazy I guess. Must change!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Are they emailing out codes? Or do i have to send out a support ticket and wait a week to get my code?
    Man I wish i had this version for this last milestone...would've helped me a ton!
    B
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    The next big update for ZBrush 3.5 will be made available for download on November 24.

IMPORTANT NOTE: R3 HAS NOT YET BEEN MADE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD. WE WILL UPDATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT ONCE IT IS AVAILABLE. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT SUPPORT INQUIRING ABOUT DOWNLOAD AVAILABILITY. THANKS!

ZBrush 3.5 aims to bring you creative freedom and an end to technical constraints. With new features like ZSpheres II, ZSketch, Quick Sketch, Surface Noise, Planar brushes and many other new enhancements, your art will reach a whole new level.

With this new version, we have refined and added to ZBrush's already exceptional toolset, improving the natural traditional media feel that ZBrush is famous for. We've made it easier than ever for you to create organic characters, mechanical objects, environments or product designs. If you are an illustrator, VFX or video game artist, product designer or just a hobbyist passionate about 3D, ZBrush is for you!

We invite you to discover the main new additions to ZBrush 3.5 - enhancements that are the foundation for the upcoming ZBrush 4! In addition, both versions are free upgrades for all registered ZBrush users!

Watch the demo movie and read the "What's New" info at http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=077864

This update will not change your version 3.5 serial number. If you already have a current download link for version 3.5 you can use it beginning 11 - 24 - 2009 to download the new version. (Please note that the download link is in the same email as your serial number. It is NOT the link that was originally used to create your upgrade account.) We will update this announcement as soon as it is ready for download.

Also beginning tomorrow, Cleverbridge will be renewing download links and sending them to the email addresses on record for all users who have previously upgraded to or purchased ZBrush 3.5. If you already have version 3.5 or 3.5R2 there is no need to contact Pixologic. Simply watch your email box for the notice from Cleverbridge. Please be aware that it may take a few days for them to send all emails.

If you are a PC user who has not yet upgraded to version 3.5, please go to https://support.pixologic.com. Register on the Support site, then create a ticket in the Upgrade category. Be sure to include as much info as you can concerning your ZBrush license purchase so that we can locate your account and upgrade you as quickly as possible.

Note for Mac users: Now that ZBrush 3.5 has been finalized, we will continue updating ZBrush for the Mac OS X platform.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am eagerly awaiting, so if someone is able to download this, please post here so i can tell if something is potentially wrong. would be greatly appreciated
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Woop, sounds good, I was just wondering about the plugin compatibility this morning, and now they announce this :)

Edit: I still find it hilarious that in their press release, they bolded this:
    ...mouse navigation now supports right clicking...
    As if it's some kind of major breakthrough...

Edit2: That boolean stuff looks niiice... hopefully it'll be stable and predictable, could be really useful!
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    ralusek wrote: »
    i am eagerly awaiting, so if someone is able to download this, please post here so i can tell if something is potentially wrong. would be greatly appreciated

I think they just started sending out e-mails; I just received mine a few minutes ago.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe wrote: »
    I think they just started sending out e-mails; I just received mine a few minutes ago.

nothing so far over here :(

also MoP, i found the right click to be equally amusing
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to be really happy about this in like a week or so when I get my new download link. It'll be great to have Zapplink back again, and booleans?! That's fantastic!

edit: happy already. got it, running it, loving it.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    install r3. sweet. copy over all my specs and whatnot. sweet. check all my hotkeys and such are still live. sweet. oh. wait. the key i had mapped to the save feature of subtool master didn't catch ( y'know. the revolutionary feature they added there that would actually let you save over the existing file like pretty near every app you've ever used does. that aspect of subtool master still worked in 3.5. despite the full lack of support for that plug ). go check out the plugins menu and see. oh. they've removed the feature. that's artist friendly

so. i map my key to save as. hoping they might've tuned its behaviour in this release. like. made it INTUITIVE or something. like it says in their videos. nope. have to enter the save dialog every time. ok. check prefs. maybe i'm missing something. nope. ok. so it looks like i'm gonna have to enter windows save dialog. and overwrite my file

every

fucking

time

not two minutes into the app and you find they still have not addressed the ridiculously stupid gaps that have existed since v2. awesome
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, just downloaded it. tried out quicksketch, kind of interesting. it seems you just sketch on a plane subdivided to 470k quads, and then polypaint on it with the new pen brushes. they're pretty interesting.

here is a funny trial with one of the brushes, kind of interesting how it works:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC6WUMjCc18[/ame]
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I read there is a new smoothing algorithm. Apparently you hold shift and do a stroke as normal, then you let go of shift and keep the stroke going and it switches to this new algorithm. Not got R3 yet so not sure what the difference is, just read that it's 'good'.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    So far, I'm impressed. The booleans work pretty well with the right settings. The polish brushes are great and all the plugins are back in play. Unified skinning has had a pretty good overhaul it seems. Not hit any bugs yet, but I know they're in there, lurking.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    any chance someone could post a screenshot after a boolean union? I'd be curious to see if it supports subdiv levels or at least, let itself to reconstruct subdiv (that wouldnt work in most cases, I would expect)

Tacit, what did you expect lol :P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    it creates a rather lumpy mush mash mesh after doing the booleans if your subd is somewhat low.
    you can not go back up and down in levels as it creates the end result as a new subtool
    finally, the new mesh is made up of triangles and as a result you can not create a new reconstruction
    no pics... sorry... but it did happen... i swear :)

there is a remesh resolution setting for each individual subtool that can be adjusted to create a higher resolution mesh for the final output which will eliminate the lumpy factor

regardless, it is a cool tool to make small little pieces and parts quickly, but not something you would want to try on a full model... losing subd levels on a larger model isn't worth a boolean op.

however, if you use this feature on a purely conceptual basis for larger models, it could be very efficent if your workflow entails a full retopology on a low/mid level concept sculpt.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    @Tacit Math: Your bitterness is both palpable and understandable. I'm kinda sorry for all of us
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yup Fire the last option you mention is exactly what I am looking for. I sure hoped it would be also working on higher density models but like most new Zbrush features it was easy enough to see 'behind the smoke' :P

It's kinda sad that to hear that it creates triangles tho. That means no proper subdivision or sculpting after a boolean, unless a reproject is performed ...

However that also means it does not beat 3DCoat yet in that kind of scenarios :D Go 3DC!!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i am not getting triangles after doing a boolean.... am i doing it wrong???
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    No, you're just using the right settings. The worst I've seen is some circular patterns on the new mesh, but projecting the old mesh on top seems to fix it. It's not flawless, but a bit of cleanup with the projection brush makes all the difference. Messing with the unified mesh desity and the polish number can give vastly better results than the default.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Grrrrrr can't wait to get the upgrade ... but it seems like the license support guys at Pixologicz just vanished for Thanksgiving ...

In the meantime purchasing 3DCoat took me about 3 seconds, compared to 3 days of waiting for a Zbrush email. PAIN!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    arshlevon wrote: »
    i am not getting triangles after doing a boolean.... am i doing it wrong???

coolness! i only did two quick and dirty slop bucket menageries of cubes and trash, and each ended up with triangles. i am sure it would depend on your settings and how ridiculous your boolean op would be in the end.

were you able to reconstruct afterwards? i only found out that my end result had triangles when i got an error message from trying to reconstruct.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This version just feels so right. Clay tubes got awesomer it feels especially on long thin things. Polish brushes are also outstanding. kinda replacing clayfinish already.
    Its fun to polish out all of the centerline bugs of my r2 models :D
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beware the scales brush it tends to crash very much for me.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Is there a way too remove the thick border that surrounds the viewport, or atleast a way too scale the viewport up?
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Size up your document and hide menu items with tab.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Cheers, that did it.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone know where to find a completely stacked list of all the changes? all the ones i found from pixologic are just listing the major changes. I'm interested to see that new smoothing algorithm or what it does
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    still waiting for my downloadlink :/
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    they brought back using the move brush and alt moves the area toward or away from you if you face it directly(missed it so much in the previous releases)! Ive not had any crashes with the scales brush but I havent used it extensively. I love the new method of choosing a brush, pressing B then the first letter of the brush you want and then the the corresponding brush, its about time they did something about that.

they have a 20min walkthrough on some of the new stuff over at zbc http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=078030
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    So far not one crash but then again i have not messed around too much with colorize. Really like the new polish brush having to stop myself from going too crazy with it.

On the negative side the issue still remains after converting from zsketch to polymesh using unify skin mesh i find that i am still getting some artifacts between zsketch brush strokes. I have tried messing around with the groups loops as shown in the video albeit on a larger scale and it has not resolved the issue. I will keep playing around with it unless someone else knows of a way to resolve this issue?
  • divi