Home General Discussion

We can do traditional art too!!! Post some non-video-game stuff you've done recently

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    why are people putting digitals in the traditional thread... :(...

You guys make baby jesus cry.

Digital is the new traditional.

I honestly can't bring myself to do real 'traditional' art anymore. They take up so much space. You have to scan them to share them with online buddies. They can be ruined if not stored properly.

Yeah, bah.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Digital is the new traditional.

I honestly can't bring myself to do real 'traditional' art anymore. They take up so much space. You have to scan them to share them with online buddies. They can be ruined if not stored properly.

Yeah, bah.

Philistine!

with traditional the whole creation process is very tactile and it changes with technique and medium, yes it takes up space, but its so much more rewarding. I paint in oil and you can lay down veneers and have layered paitings that just look fucking awesome.. cant get that with something on a screen or even printed out. Wacom can go kiss my fat arse
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything has its goodz,
    and quite some techniques show both on paper and digital so im not feeling too bad for posting it..

i love traditional for all it brings, how it looks, feels, so good, ill see if i can get some in here :)

Thanks Rolf :D
    Your piece looks like it had some massive love too, great work on that man, (I like the blueish a lot)

mezz :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    we used to have yearly sketchbook threads like these, whatever happened to those? ... hmm
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    sebas wrote: »
    Made for my mother's village annual festival, I love art in all its ways...

Dream.jpg

Its WAY too contained and sectioned off
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    found another in my DB

Two_cranes_by_rolfness.jpg
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw shit .. lol ...
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they look very similar :D
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith - it's awesome! totally digging the style.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    with traditional the whole creation process is very tactile and it changes with technique and medium, yes it takes up space, but its so much more rewarding.

All subjective.

I personally don't find traditional art to be more rewarding, at least not any more. To me it's more of a hassle.

In the end, 1 leaky pipe can ruin them forever, which has happened to me in the past. At least with digital I can backup and create as many hardcopies as I want with minimal effort.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Digital art really doesn't have the aspect of accident, and having to work with them and mistakes, with digital people rely to much on the undo key. They are both a very different process.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    this thread is awesome.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    Digital art really doesn't have the aspect of accident, and having to work with them and mistakes, with digital people rely to much on the undo key. They are both a very different process.

It's pretty amazing now how everytime I'm doing something traditional and I make any sort of mistake, without fail, my mind yells, "UNDO UNDO!!!"
    But there's no undo button... :S Hehe
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    one of my favs
    leisure_escape_1_5_by_dudealan2001.jpg
    sorry the image is so stupidly big.
    it's a scratch board I think 5*7
    it's really not that big in real life.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    e-freak wrote: »
    neolith - it's awesome! totally digging the style.
    Thanks, glad you like it. :)

I just noticed that when you turn up the gamma on that pic a bit you can see a reflection of a similar paintig in the lower right. :poly136: Must have been already framed when I took the picture.

@dudealan2001: Wow, that's a lot of details in that picture - very nice!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All subjective.

I personally don't find traditional art to be more rewarding, at least not any more. To me it's more of a hassle.

In the end, 1 leaky pipe can ruin them forever, which has happened to me in the past. At least with digital I can backup and create as many hardcopies as I want with minimal effort.

you're right it is subjective, and I was talking of my own experience, I did try digital with Painter and PS and I dont find them rewarding at all. in fact with a small wacom its a complete pain in the arse.. with a large canvas and a brush I can paint with my whole arm which I love doing. Theres more freedom and I do find it more expressive. It also becomes more hassle free the longer you've been doing it, like digital mediums theres was that will quicken the process

Yes traditional forms of art can be destroyed and that adds to the beauty of them, there is only one. The easy reproduction of digital in many ways restricts its acceptance as a formal medium.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if this counts as "traditional", but I just finished up a group project for one of my art classes where we had to build a real-life object to an insanely large scale. My group chose to do an electrical outlet and frayed plug, but it turned out to be a lot more work than we had anticipated. We only had 14 days to plan and build this. It's called "A Misuse of Power":

(sorry for the bad quality pics, a lot of the detail doesn't show up)

plug1.jpg

The plug:

plug.jpg

And here's a shot of the back. It's made of 2x4's, screws, lots of misc. wood, and large sheets of foam insulation that we decoupaged (so the paint wouldn't eat through it) and then spray painted:

plugback.jpg

It's kinda hard to tell how big this thing is, but the final project is something like 6 feet by 4 feet:

scale.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    @ 3DLee lol it does
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Mezz and ZacD... it's a wip style, comments and critics are always welcome.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    traditional vs. digital is very subjective. i love traditional, i love digital, and i do both for different reasons. but to me, the "magic" surrounding traditional art is just a pretentious approach. In my opinion, the magic is in creation, and the medium is pretty irrelevant. Half the time i don't even remember if i did something in photoshop or on paper, because it really doesn't matter to me. All I really care about is the idea i'm trying to get across, the actual work of art is pretty irrelevant.

In that regard, I've never been one for composition, since I only really care about the subject.

So if you want to try to dehumanize the computer, or patronize someone using a different medium, i just find that to be a childish way of approaching this. People do awesome things, and their art is just a little window into their brain. If the window is a paper, a wall, or a computer, you're still just getting a look inside.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    So if you want to try to dehumanize the computer, or patronize someone using a different medium, i just find that to be a childish way of approaching this. People do awesome things, and their art is just a little window into their brain. If the window is a paper, a wall, or a computer, you're still just getting a look inside.

This could definitely bloom into a pretty big debate, worthy of its own thread. But I think the primary counterargument isn't to say that digital is not art or is irrelevant as art, but more to say that most (not all) great digital artists have "done their time" with traditional media, and that the physicality and as Walter Benjamin would put it, the 'aura' surrounding physical, traditional artwork is still very important to the learning process.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    why does this need to be a god dammed debate, cant we just post some drawings and admire everyone elses work?

Also claiming that digital is similar enough to traditional to post here is defeating the purpose of this thread.
    The whole point is that digital is faster for games development so not many of us do actually do traditional art, its not about either medium being more valid or rewarding.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Faster? Lots of people/studios still do parts of storyboards and concept art on paper.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    sketching on paper is faster, finished art on the other hand isnt.

You will find exceptions to the rule for both but this is the average for most artists i've found.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    All subjective.

word on the street is you can scan traditional art into a computer now adays and make copies.

this is a good thread. but... why is it in general? haha. make it a sticky in P&P!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Crappy cell phone picture, tried to get rid of some of the color noise in PS

r1eg0k.jpg

Study in acrylic
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Cardboard and Wood Glue
    headsculpture.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    @3DLee
    my brother would instantly die seeing those plugs (macrophobia)
    hes even afraid of big pencils^^

edit for proof heres a chatlog:
    me:http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/19309/wm/pd1896826.jpg
    Xaver:ASShole!!!!
    Xaver:i hate big pencils
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drew this over a few evenings. +1 points to the person who spots my main **** up

whce1e.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's only 5 strings?
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you got it.. i dont know how i did that... farout.. haha
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I've got a portfolio review coming up soon, so I'll probably have a bit of stuff to post in here once I get it together.

Meanwhile:

I usually hate doing drawings where I'm supposed to reduce the model to a series of cylinders, but I think this one turned out okay.
    The instructor did too, apparently, so the next drawing he had everybody do was based on this one.
    Then he made me draw in front of the whole class. That sucked.

Red conte on smudged newsprint.

PC050218.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How did the "next" one that you did in front of the class turn out?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I don't want to talk about it.

(translation: not so hot)
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I did this painting of my dog for recent a group show at a local gallery

dooku_painting_small.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, but I'm working on a self portrait, boundary art, diptych. I just don't know if there's anything I should add, the face and a lot of other parts are unfinished but it seems a little plain. I'm open to any ideas.

Piece influenced by Phil Hale.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah Jakelear do you have progress pics? Loving it!!!
    How big is it?
    Makes me want to buy it from you honestly.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    2a7v1is.jpg

Crappy photo and lighting, but still...
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Phew!! This one took me a while, about a week or so to get through. Commissioned by a good friend of mine for her mom for x-mas. (Not paid, it was a 'trade' for the old big screen tv they gave me when they moved :P)

Acrylic on canvas, 24 x 36":
    PhotoDump_01337_edit.jpg

Once again, I gotta say, the photo doesn't do it justice... I really gotta get better at taking photos of paintings :\ It also looks a lot more impressive when you see it at the actual size (by FAR the biggest canvas I've ever worked on!! My last few were 8x8" :P)

Oh, and it's based on a postcard she brought back from her last visit to Scottland. This place, with its crazy tall standing stone pillars, is called the Ring of Brodgar, and is on Orkney, in Scottland.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff, guys!
    but why the thread in "General discussion"?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. Its not 3D & 2D Videogame Art
    2. This is where the photo thread is
  • ctedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://gallery.me.com/ctedin#100247/PA102992&bgcolor=black
    and
    http://gallery.me.com/ctedin#100247/PA263101&bgcolor=black

Both works in clay. The vessel is about 36" tall, and the "wing" shaped sculpture is in 4 sections and is about 7+ feet tall. Might try tackling something like this in Zbrush for fun...
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Bumping this thread with something I did last year...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_qb386LuE[/ame]
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Something a little different. But I like to paint bodies for RC racing. Just finished this one up for the 2010 season.

10_SRRD_Vette_02.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Is movie making allowed? :D
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Skylebones, that's awesome. Black + pink for the win. What did you use to paint it? Airbrush + masks?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    2n66fs.jpg

1692t8w.jpg

20uubo7.jpg

303jr6w.jpg

What I've been working on the last few months.

There was a little contest in the sculpture II class to get one of the 6 spots for a sculpture funded by the overland park arboretum. I was picked I think they'd pay up to $300 per sculpture, more or less depending on how much the other kids used.

It's actually made out of MDF wood (the sign is wrong). Its going to be outside for like 5 months, and its for sale :D I never really worked with wood before, so I had some trouble and got a lot of help.

I want to put in my resume that I got a funded sculpture installed for a few months at a local arboretum but I don't know what to call it or how to word it.