Home General Discussion

Game Breaking

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
saw this in another thread
EarthQuake wrote: »
no matter what i do my model isnt likely to break the entire build before an important deadline.

rather then derail it I felt I could share an episode of game breaking:

One day an internal build of WAR went a little goofy and a common world model (say a rock or bush) got replaced with another random model in the game. Unfortunately the model that got swapped in was a rough in model i made of boat.

The boats didn't have a concept but they were to have a roughly banana shape, as I joke I whipped up a quick banana texture for them. So giant bananas, about the size of buses, floating down our version of the Nile river.

In order to tell what the model name is you can ctrl+click on it but it only works if the model has collission, which the bananas didn't. Someone has a video of the bananapocalypse, hopefully it gets on the web one day.

feel free to share some of your game breaking moments.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    How about one where a certain bump texture on one model has to be a png, or it literally crashes the entire game. Nothing else in game has that issue, and the original model was made with a newer version of the software your using so you cant attempt to reexport it.

It also contained the spec, and was supposed to be a low spec surface. So without a spec channel defined, it was full spec in game. The only way I solved it was finding a ancient Photoshop plugin, super png, that exports the png with an alpha channel versus making the image transparent.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Shitty rickroll of our first attempts at ragdoll created issues with player ragdoll rotisserie's was pretty awesome for a bit they'd just continuously spin for several minutes making a flapping falling sound like clothes in a dryer.

(turn down the speakers it was a rickroll vid) also :( our game engine...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GpS7zRUEXo[/ame]
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I break games all day yo!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    While working on Prototype I accidentally spawned a sexy secretary the size of a building. Naturally I climbed into her cleavage and took a screen cap for the team.
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    Hahaha, good stuff! :D

Dekard: What game is that? Or should I ask what game is that going to be?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It's Battleground Europe a 8 year old MMO that's still in maintenance mode.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    im a bad one for misspelling stuff ;D
    That often enough breaks games just fine ;D
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i checked the whole of my C drive into one of our SVN'd project folders one night before i left work. People didn't seem as amused as i was when they came in the next morning and did an update. I cant think why. :D
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hehe...I was having a chat with a mate last week and he mentioned a colleague of his who tinkered with a 'space junk' prop (which was instanced throughout a level) and had transformed it into a giant cock and balls. Just for a laugh he threw it in the game, thinking he'd take some screengrabs, have a laugh with his mates and then revert it. Well, he didn't revert fast enough because his cock and balls actually made it into a build that was sent off for focus testing. NICE!
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    left the wireframe overlay still there on several textures that went live... :P
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An (ex-)colleague of mine managed to make all textures in a level scroll by applying the wrong material ID. Character-textures and all, I believe. I can assure you, this was very trippy to see, and I was sad to see it fixed.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    if any of you have broken a game you're working on and are proud of it, i'd like to get you into a small room and hurt you.

Total Fucking Bugbear
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I miss the office witch-hunts for the guy who comitted something that broke the game :D
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    perna wrote: »
    I slept with the CEOs wife

per...his wife is in a coma :(
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    before I got my computer setup to download and compile fresh data everynight (so that I had everything new and ready the next morning), the cutscenes I worked on always lacked characters and objects, even though they worked fine on my build of the game - which of course was older than what AD was looking at.

"hey! the models are missing again!" x_x

not that Im saying it got fixed with new data, I still had that problem lol :)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my 360 once scratched my elder scrolls oblivion disc. that broke MY game!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I somehow managed to cause a catastrophic skinning error in the pony model in Pony Friends a very short time before gold release. Game almost shipped with all of the ponies breaking up into little pieces whenever they animated. I think I was lucky to get out of that one with all my limbs intact.

My favourite bug of all the titles I've worked on, though not one that I causes, is another from Pony Friends - the woodpecker hallucination. One of the major sections of Pony Friends is a first person trail ride where you can take pictures of animals, Pokemon Snap style. At one point due to some peculiar spline placement, you'd be riding along when a woodpecker would gracefully flat spin through your view like some acid induced hallucination.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    I slept with the CEOs wife

BAM

this is why I <3 3point studios
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    soldier rotisserie reminds me of this bug from goldeneye... which spawned a huge meme on japanese video sites.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5c_MEs9mo[/ame]

both, while unfortunate if you take pride in your work, you still have to laugh at it cause it really is damn funny.

while I wish I had some funny stories of games that would break where I work.. sadly, no such awesomeness exists. Usually when I commit something that's broken, the game just won't build. And the worst it can get visually is nonsensical sprite frames.

Though, I was witness to some hilarity in the animation studio I worked at for 2 years... our software was sheit.. .and sometimes the vector bits would animate on their own... like parts of a character popping off, circling aorund the screen and popping back on.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    A preview video of mine has a funny ending. After I crash a car, it starts burning in flames and Sandbox 2 posts this message which says "engine error" and shuts down. Video here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJXJ8Mowy2o[/ame]
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, that looks really good!

Too bad about the crash(es). ;) Hehehe