Home General Discussion

Avatar Human Hardware Featurette

The video shows a whole array of sci-fi tech that the invading human army uses to conquer the alien planet of Pandora ,seems worth a watch . I wish this featurette wud have released earlier , Cameron could’ve been earning serious cred (and good press) if he just flaunted the things he’s already known to be a master of: big mech suits, futuristic aircraft and weaponry and the awesome visual effects that make it all look real.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv3lRl8HO9M[/ame]

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ok now I wanna see it.
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    Tons better than the last trailer I saw. Do like.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, this /finally/ has me psyched. Previous trailers didn't hook me at /all/.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I will be dissapointed if one of the marines does not pop a cigar as soon as he gets up out of cryosleep.

ps. this rocks.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmmm. I'm just not interested yet, even based off this featurette.

All the cool shit looks like it was lifted straight from Aliens. The hound animals looked dodgy, like from a 1990's pre-rendered videogame cinematic.

With District 9 being executed so well, I don't think he's raised his CG bar high enough.

And I totally wasn't ready for how old Cameron's looking now!
  • Incubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are few things which doesn't fit the words that are being associated wid this feature, path breaking, revolutionary etc . The design of the bayonets underneath the guns of the amp suit remind me of the chainsaw bayonet of lancer ( GOW ) . Plus watsup wid the name of the element these guys are mining for "Unobtainium" ,unobtainium is a general term for costly, unusual or downright imaginary material discussed in both science fact and science fiction circles.
    I expected originality with this franchise ,i still hope to be wowed in the hall, lets see if it lives up to the hype .
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    With District 9 being executed so well, I don't think he's raised his CG bar high enough.

Can I say LOL here? I mean I really love D9 but the two productions are worlds apart in every possible way...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    vargatom wrote: »
    Can I say LOL here? I mean I really love D9 but the two productions are worlds apart in every possible way...

Apart from them both being movies, in which the introduction of poorly integrated CG will ruin the beleif you have in what you're looking at.

Yeah, apart from that teeny tiny little point, lol away good sir ;)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    There's definitely a unique style to this film. The CG is good - not in a Benjamin Button "oh wait, I'm watching CG?!" sort of way, but in a very stylistic way. Even a lot of the live-action shots look very CG, so they're definitely aiming for a unique mark on the visuals.

Overall I'd say I'm pretty interested in this film - but I have to admit I was a lot more interested before I saw any footage. Though, this is the first time I've seen this much combat footage, which does indeed look pretty awesome.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Apart from them both being movies, in which the introduction of poorly integrated CG will ruin the beleif you have in what you're looking at.

Yeah, apart from that teeny tiny little point, lol away good sir ;)

District 9 just looks so much better than Avatar

district-9-alien-face-1200.jpg

Having 1 character type + 1 mech + some fx + giant ship is a lot simpler than a whole world, but I still must say District 9 looks a lot more realistic and better integrated. The plants in Avatar almost look worse than Crysis.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be honest. That shot of the navi looks pretty fucking good to me. I don't like their designs much, but you might have picked a different shot to make your point about lack of believability. o_O (frankly, I'd have assumed from that shot that they were just doing face-replacement)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    avatar_james_cameron_movie_images_air_vehicles_01.jpg

avatar_7.jpgavatar_3.jpgavatar_5.jpgavatar-movie-2.jpg

To be fair I just posted most of the big screen shots I've seen, the trees bother me the most, then the clothes, then the human vehicles/weapons/guns that are cg. The blue people aren't too bad looking, but there isn't many animated clips to tell how well animated they are.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    almost look worse than Crysis

look worse than Crysis

worse than Crysis

implying the vegetaion in Crysis looks bad
    I do love the aliens in D9, though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I meant compared to real life, the vegetation in crysis is amazing for a game.

normal11737467056076c60ts4.jpg

normal11737467062256c60rd5.jpg

normal11737467068376c5eir2.jpg
    normal11737467042336c5bhl3.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think people are overlooking one thing about avatar..... its not meant to be viewed on a computer screen, or in still shots...

wait till you see it in 3D then judge.....
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Reminds me of Starship Troopers. And anything that reminds me of Starship Troopers is completely okay in my book.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you please paste in any smaller screenshots of Crysis to prove your point?

Eh, everyone is going in circles now about Avatar. It looks bad, the story sucks, they've used up all the good scenes in the trailers, and so on. Kinda boring, so it's fortunate that there's only 4 weeks of it left to endure.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    your actually comparing crysis to avatar the movie? and claiming crysis looks better?
    I lol'ed and i lol'ed hard!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Reading peoples comments shooting down some of the most creative minds in the world, who are working along side some of the best artists on this planet, and talking like their work sucks, that makes me LOL.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    avatar still looks bad to me, all the cg looks like game cut scenes.. good cut scenes, but not real and mixed in witht he real actors and stuff it really comes off as fake to me. they shoulda stuck with practicle fx for at least the main blue things or something. those just dont hold up as being remotely "real"

i guess i'm still a hold out for practicle f/x and animatronics, at least a man in a suit looks like a real object and not a cartoon.

haz we dont all have to like the things you do. it makes me .. ok i never actualy "LOL"
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please show me a game cutscene like this, because I haven't seen anything like this before. Nor do I have any idea about how we could make just any single element from these short scenes at this quality.

And no man in suit could have such proportions and definitely no expressiveness like these characters, even simple make-up covers up most of the subtle facial motion. Not to mention animatronics...

(It's spelled 'practical' by the way...)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh no spelling nazis got me! I am shamed!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It still doesn't appeal to me just yet. Looks like we have two camps so far, those that don't see anything they can connect to yet and don't plan on seeing it and those that think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'll check it on on rental.

I think the majority of the talk is in the new '3D' talks being applied to this saying it will revolutionize films and comparing it from black and white TV to color is off the mark and taking away from the actual movie. It maybe an actually good movie, I'll have to hold off until I rent it in about 6 months, to tell but so far from all the hype and the previews it makes me 'not' want to see it. I don't subscribe to the hype trains.
    A movie revolution will take place at the end of the year - potentially offering as big a leap in our viewing experience as the change from black-and-white television to colour.
    I still don't envy going to a theater and having to wear glasses to enjoy a movie. :D Whether or not the movie industry is 'trying' to embrace the new '3d hype' as a fix to piracy, etc.. I don't see affecting the 'movie goer' it may change how hollywood wants to change things but 3d games and movies will still be a fad.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Space Marines, Mechs, Aliens+ James Cameron =win .

I can not stand it that there are people with opinions different than mine though...I mean come on...have you been dipping your nuggets in fail sauce...get with the program and subscribe to my newsletter
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    thats the point of sci-fi movie and space exploration.
    we are not going anywhere if we are too afraid to leave same boxes.

-_- ...

I dont believe this movie is about just CGI show off.
    but this about the show about sci-fi fantasies, which is overlooked by many moviemakers
    to whom expect badass space marines fight "monster aliens" this is not ur movie. :p

i agrees that the tree is kinda fancy, but also i don't want to see our very own earthy
    palm trees are actually have clones in other planet, that just as bizarre as seeing ghost.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I love how quickly people put on hater pants before a movie is even in the theaters. While I'm tired of hearing people talk about how revolutionary the CG is, who cares? People love other movies that have heavy CG, and the CG isn't that good. Do you guys watch Ghostbusters now and hate it because of the crappy CG? Even if it's not the most spectacular CG ever, it's way better than 99% of the CG in past movies.

Personally, I'll be checking this out in the theaters, then make a decision. I just hope they don't continue trying to shove more trailers/commercials in my face before the release. Otherwise, I won't see it. I'm tired of seeing 60% of a film via trailers, and I can see this happening with this movie, because of the internet complaints.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    When the guy shows off the guns on the table, you can hear the fact that they are plastic props. :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    has anyone stopped to think that maybe they werent going for the absolute REAL look? but maybe they were going for that cut scene look? they obviously did something to some of the scenes with real people in it and made them look more artistic.

and as for those comparison shots... avatar still looks better than crysis in my books.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    all you haters should quit your day jobs and just become movie critics.

Whargoul: it's called a "budget" and "post-production sound fx"

i hate to be troll like, but good grief...
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I've just realised something that bothers me about the pics I've seen of Avatar seeing those two shots up top points it out.

Avatar looks too clean, theres no dirt, perspiration. Braids in her hair look machined. Anyone who knows anything about jungles, knows they wouldnt last long looking like that.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont see any dif in hating on a movie before it comes out than fawning over it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Dekard wrote: »
    It still doesn't appeal to me just yet. Looks like we have two camps so far

exactly man, the regular people and the furries. hehe jk jk

but good point on it all looking to clean, that shot with the cloth is a good example. im sure the movie will be alright it is cameron after all but people put him on such a pedestal that they will like anything even if it sucks, not saying any of his work really has yet.

I think all the discussion on the CG and "revolutionary" shit is kinda just making noise when what people should be more concerend if all aspects the film as a whole is going to be good.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    It's looks pretty good. Some of the creatures look average and still not a fan of blue aliens. The marines look more appealing to me than the creatures for now.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i dont see any dif in hating on a movie before it comes out than fawning over it.

I don't think people should fawn over it yet either. The problem I see is people picking at little details, just so they can say they don't like it. It really feels like people hating the movie because of all the hype around it. If this movie existed 20 years ago, people would be jizzing themselves over the CG.
  • vargatom
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its pretty obvious that weta tried way harder on D9 than the stuff they did for Cameron in Avatar, I think if avatar was less clean and pristine as Calabi pointed if would probably look that much better.

Regardless friends of mine who saw the whole Avatar day in Imax said watching the trailers and screenshots on PC was like comparing Doom to Crysis
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    What will make or break this movie is the story, not the cg. Once it all comes together and with James Cameron it usually does, I mean sound, fx and the story it will be great. I won't question the cinematography since the director knows what he is doing, and I base that on his reel. :D I had serious doubts about district 9 when I saw trailers, etc, but with movies it's about the experience. I'm sure this will be a nice experience as well.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dippndots wrote: »
    its pretty obvious that weta tried way harder on D9 than the stuff they did for Cameron in Avatar, I think if avatar was less clean and pristine as Calabi pointed if would probably look that much better.

Weta didn't even work much on D9 at all, they've done some shots with the mothership because they did the model for it and basically that's all beyond some concept art. Most of the post work was done by several Canadian VFX studios.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regardless friends of mine who saw the whole Avatar day in Imax said watching the trailers and screenshots on PC was like comparing Doom to Crysis

Hrmm saw yesterday that's its not even finished yet, 1 month before release date. Unfinished test screening?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    too clean? now because they live in the jungle, they HAVE to be dirty?? hate to tell you all, but alot of animals that live in the wild arent dirty... never mind intelligent ones :P
  • Incubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More videos regarding i'm guessing cud be the most talked about movie of the year , judging by this thread . This time Cameron appeared on 60 minutes to chat abt the movie .
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5737218n&tag=contentBody;housing

QUOTE]t's the next Cameron movie, and sci-fi at that. I would watch it if it was made with LEGOs[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, by the looks of it this wud surely live up to be a Cameron class entertainer
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its pretty obvious that weta tried way harder on D9 than the stuff they did for Cameron in Avatar

I don't know if that is a fair assumption. Cameron is notoriously difficult to work with; [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzati0Am5GE"]you need to watch the video where the composer for Aliens, James Horner, describes his working envrionment. Who knows how this relationship was played out.[/ame] I, personally, envsion unrealistic goals set by Cameron with no true understanding of how those things would get done.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weta didn't even work much on D9 at all, they've done some shots with the mothership because they did the model for it and basically that's all beyond some concept art. Most of the post work was done by several Canadian VFX studios.

I was under the impression that weta did a lot of the environment work, oh well i guess the internet doesnt tell the truth all the time after all.

@dekard: Avartar Day was a world-wide 16min IMAX screening where they pretty much showed a 16 minute finished trailer
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know anything about avatar but this is a impressive video everything is looking
    very well integrated.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    I, personally, envsion unrealistic goals set by Cameron with no true understanding of how those things would get done.

From what I've heard, Cameron knows lots about CG and such. He's usually getting pretty deep into everything about his movies, and he began his movie career as a prop and VFX person anyway. Did you know that he personally designed the Alien queen and the power loader as well?

ripleyqueenconcept.jpg

As far as I know he did this painting on his own.

Which kinda makes his impossible demands even more brutal ;)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    it's the next Cameron movie, and sci-fi at that. I would watch it if it was made with LEGOs.

QFT
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Dekard wrote: »
    Hrmm saw yesterday that's its not even finished yet, 1 month before release date. Unfinished test screening?
    How is it not basically finished a month before release? I could see some of the editing not being perfected, but they better have the whole thing rendered out or they're screwed.

I just want to state I don't have any doubt this movie wont look great or have its epic moments, but this film gets people talking about how CG looks almost real, and I just think there's a lot that looks really CG.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://io9.com/5409986/avatar-isnt-finished-yet
    The news came from a Wall Street Journal Report about the rush to finish the movie in time for its December 10th premiere, with the paper reporting that "around 30 minutes" of the movie were incomplete at time of writing:

Some of the tasks still facing the filmmakers are typical postproduction work such as scoring and "color timing," or ensuring that hues are consistent through the film. But other aspects include more basic production elements, such as special effects being generated by Weta Digital in New Zealand, the effects studio of "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson, plus seven other effects houses.

Although I enjoyed this bit.. :D
    Surely, with a budget rumored to be above $300 million and marketing for the movie having already heavily underway , it can't afford to miss the opening date - but we look forward to nit-picking fans announcing that they can "tell" which scenes were rushed in order to make it under deadline.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    Space Marines, Mechs, Aliens+ James Cameron =win .

hasnt changed much

compare the amp suits in this trailer to the way the girl drives the spider robot in Cameron's first movie.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53UL_dUqY5s&feature=related[/ame]
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you know that he personally designed the Alien queen and the power loader as well?

And they're beautiful, but I doubt it was his responsibility to make them 'work' i.e. model creation, rigging, etc. My impression from the James Horner interview was Cameron did not understand the process of creating a score.

I'm sure that he can create great designs, but I would surmise that after doing so he hands it off to a technical designer who must make concessions with reality (time constraints, gravity, etc).

All of the reports of how 'hands-on' and 'involved' he is are misleading as well. It doesn't sound to me like he's lending a helping hand as much as he's looking over your shoulder wondering why it's not perfect yet.

Don't get me wrong, I love Aliens and T2, my original point is others shouldn't claim laziness on the part of the cg studio for things not surpassing the uncanny valley.