Home General Discussion

Bodies...The Exhibit

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

Anyone going to go? Me and the wife went last night, and it was pretty cool! They had a smokers set of lungs next to healthy lungs, and different parts of the body health vs diseased, and some cut open to reveal the cancer in the organs. They had a body cut up like one artist did to the horse(You know like on the Cube).

They even had an "Embryo" room! This may sound strange, but yesterday we went to the doctor and got a 12 week sonogram. Well, when we got to the embryo room, they had a 12 week embryo on display. It was so itty bitty and my wife has one of those in her belly! That hopefully will make it out in to the world, and not an art exhibit...:)

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on the little one growing inside your wife. :)

I went last year and thought it was pretty neat. It got a little repetitive with the actual human sculptures. The glass case stuff(smokers lungs, arthritic bones, etc) were more interesting to me.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Wait for Body World.

There are just too many questions arising about the origin of those cadavers.

"Under the settlement agreement with New York City, Premier Exhibitions agreed to post disclaimers stating that they could not independently rule out the possibility that remains of Chinese prisoners were used in the production of the displays.[18]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODIES..._The_Exhibition#Criticism
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I went to Body Worlds 3 (I think it's pretty much the same thing as BODIES) back in Houston few years ago, was great and would definitely recommend it. Really makes it hit home how mortal we all are.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Went and saw Body Worlds (Not sure which one) with my dad and brother at the Minnesota science museum. Have to say, it was fascinating. The couldn't imagine myself cutting up corpses and injecting them with plasticine materials, but the art, and the expressions, the movement and actions captured are brilliant, IMO
    Go see it if you get the chance.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luckily i went before the whole controversy took off like 3 years ago it was awesome
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I saw it a few years back when it was in London.

Amazing stuff, though some parts put me off my dinner. lol
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I die I'm going to donate my body to one of these exhibits!

...(That way my family and future grand kids can still visit me :D)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Im sure they'll all want to see you displayed naked in public
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    you can't bring a camera but you can bring a sketchbook.

I've been twice, once in Cleveland and once in Vegas. crazy stuff.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Im sure they'll all want to see you displayed naked in public

I'll feed it in their heads, "We're all human" :)

My main idea is to have myself dissected into 3 forms of myself.
    1 - All skeleton extracted
    2 - All muscle carefully reattached on it's own
    3 - My exterior flesh preserved and held into original shape

Doing this I expect to have a illustrated display of all 3 versions of the same me holding hands, leaning apart with our feet pressed together, while looking at a center :D
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I've been there a couple of years ago when they were in Amsterdam. At first it's a bit weird because you constantly think that it's actually dead human beings you're looking at, but after a while I got over myself and just studied their anatomy etc ;). Was very cool. I also loved the part where they had the blood vessels and nerves only, like a crazy web of some sorts.
    CrazyMatt: I saw one that had his skin peeled off and was holding his own hands like you where saying.

But it was crazy to see all the small chinese guys play basketball and ride a horse and everything. We also heard about the not-very-correct origin of the bodies, I heard that in China, bodies are property of everybody as soon as they are there for 3 months or more :O. So a lot of experiments are possible there ;). Still a bit weird though...
  • Bruno Afonseca
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    I'll feed it in their heads, "We're all human" :)

My main idea is to have myself dissected into 3 forms of myself.
    1 - All skeleton extracted
    2 - All muscle carefully reattached on it's own
    3 - My exterior flesh preserved and held into original shape

Doing this I expect to have a illustrated display of all 3 versions of the same me holding hands, leaning apart with our feet pressed together, while looking at a center :D

I agree with your, we're all human. That's why I like to get naked in public
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I went to this years ago when it was in brick lane, I kept making food related jokes through out the whole thing and kept saying I was hungry.. it was also a date..
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I was actually there over this past week break that I had.. went to the one in las vegas.. really really interesting stuff.. The stuff I found most interesting was that a lot of it looked really alien and foreign.. and how the F*** do you fit all that inside of us? reall really cool though. def. something all artists should check out.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! I think I might go to this sometime this week, in Seattle :D
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael wrote: »
    and how the F*** do you fit all that inside of us?

We are packed to the brim with viscera!

mLichy, it is worth it I think...
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I checked out busing it, and it would be a quick trip, alot easier than driving. So even if I have to go by myself I might go. Although it sucks you can't take pictures...
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I went last year and didn't really think about the origins of those being displayed but now I'm not sure. It just seems odd to me how nicely incremental the embryo room was. Just seemed a bit too convenient.

Otherwise though, it was really cool going, the nervous system with eyeballs gave me nightmares for weeks. It was like I was staring down at an exhibit of someone from Parappa.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I missed out on it when it was in copenhagen, was bummed out for months, now I am again..