Home General Discussion

mod
So, i didnt see this extended on till last week, and i dont remember seeing it on the forum at all, so.... whats everyone think?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ[/ame]

its suppose to be this generations jurassic park (revalutionary)

from this trailer... it looks like it might actually live up to its hype... looks insanely good

Replies

• Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wonder how long each frame took to render lol

needless to say im getting IMAX tickets the second they become available
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Saw the tv commercial a couple times yesterday, having not seen any trailers before. Looks like it might be enjoyable depending on how the story evolves. Honestly the CG looked less 'real' and more video game cinematic 'real' to me.
    Oh and I saw the Avatar commercial almost immediately after the commercial for New Moon. Think I'd rather go see New Moon but I doubt I'll be seeing either in theater. :poly124:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think the cinematic look is why i enjoy it so much. game cinematics are my true love. hah. and it looks as though even when its just real people, they adjusted the picture to look a bit different.

Though, the story doesnt seem too new or out there. humans find smoething they want and will do anything to get it. either way, im seeing it for sure. haha
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly everything James Cameron has done I've hated and this doesn't look any different. Looks like his usual big budget special effects + annoying characters and weak writing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Go'bakKKk!

hehe

Still left cold by this but!! I really like the shot with the military dude sipping coffee from his mug while rockets fly off pass him. Something I wouldn't expect from such a 'smooth' kind of movie.

Hover the plot ... huh.

How awesome wound this be if the aliens where played by talented actors wearing rubber yet digitally enhanced costumes.

All the aliens and avatars have that kind of floaty, overanimated, don't-know-what-to-do-with-my-hands kind of feel to them - it can be enough to ruin a movie (ruin as in, uncanny valley uneasy)

Slip, I am wondering about that digital look that even the real actors seem to have, too. Maybe because of the movie being shot straight to digital and not to film? Or maybe some clever color balance. Or ... heave makeup? like Bruce Willis in Surrogates?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    It looks good, but well over-hyped...
    Revolutionary? Highly doubt it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    oh god the stupid overly colorful deisngs of all the alien stuff. bright stripey dinos vs the most generic mechs ive ever seen, i love how they send him to "blend in" wearing military camos with a fucking shotgun......? the faces just look so furry/dumb and like Pior said, overly animated with huge gestures and flapping arms.

Im still gonna see it for sure in imax 3d or whatever and will reserve final judgement till then but it just looks so stupid. so hopefully its good and im pleasently supprised.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously guys, this movie is gonna be like nothing else we've seen...

http://fr.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2d9u1f&s=4

This entire sequence is 100% CG (spoilers of course) and I can't even begin to imagine how to do anything like this. The water interaction at the end is especially mind boggling, but all the cloth and vegetation and the quality of the animation... and they've done almost 2 hours of it. Simply crazy.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Im still puzzled as to why people here has probably gone and seen the avp movies, along with the newer terminator ones, the third, and then salvation.

but now when we get something new from cameron, we're all in doubt like it was the next thing from uwe?

I still believe characters and execution of camerons movies has always worked, no matter the cheesy story or cg.

he hasn't given us a reason to doubt him.

or maybe we have very high hopes of what he will create.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    cameron's one of the best contemporary directors still making films for the big screen... I love him dearly.... I'm gonna go see the shit out of this
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    I'll check it out even if it does look like a CG version of Ferngully.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it IS dances with smurfs

yuck
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure the CG was rendered on Window7 workstations. With the hype, the revolutionary unicorn magic, all that.

SORRY couldn't resist hehe
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I hear somewhere that this movie has taken like 400 million to make so far. How are they going to make that kind of money back. If this flops It could bring the studio down with it.

That being said I can't wait to see it love the direction they went with the cg. :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    I hear somewhere that this movie has taken like 400 million to make so far. How are they going to make that kind of money back. If this flops It could bring the studio down with it.

That being said I can't wait to see it love the direction they went with the cg. :)
    This is your wallet.

wallet.jpg

This is you after the marketing department is done with it.

chris-crocker-crying.jpg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I think anyone who calls a planet Pandora is asking for trouble.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    maybe they should just nuke pandora from orbit, it's the safest way.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I really don't think a remake of Fern Gully was necessary, the first version still holds up
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    ^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    It's Fergully for adults....with guns and sex!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Those bright aliens to me look really annoying. Like jar jar binks annoying. I dunno about this movie. I do like how the marines look however. They remind me of the marines in Aliens. Anyways I'm still looking forward more towards Cameron's Battle Angel than this movie
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Well that trailer just told the whole story, only reason to see it is for the effects! If I liked the art style that would be reason enough to see the movie in theaters, but like many of you the tribal space elves just don't look appealing.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I'm still looking forward more towards Cameron's Battle Angel than this movie

Man, how many years has that been on the back burner? I doubt it will ever get made; a shame, too.

Also:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhUWffcZKkQ[/ame]
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, who wants to see Terminator 2, as we all know the story is "killer robot comes back from the future to kill boy, another robot comes back to protect boy, and then then fight and the boy survives". Or Titanic? Everyone knows the story - the ship's gonna sink; so no need to go and watch that movie either. Oh, and Lord of the Rings, like there's anyone who has not read the books yet...

I mean come on, it's Cameron, can anyone seriously believe that ~15 minutes of released footage have spoiled the entire movie and there's nothing else that could be interesting about it but the effects?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Man, how many years has that been on the back burner? I doubt it will ever get made; a shame, too.

If Avatar makes more then a billion at the worldwide box office, then there's a good chance Cameron's gonna do Alita next.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    /me joins the ferngully train.

It just doesn't appeal to me. Most creatures in all society 'blend' in to their surroundings or they get eaten. Why would blue people live in a green forest.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    they're poisonous.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Thats true, and they act like hunters, they would have no chance at that.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Asherr wrote: »
    Think I'd rather go see New Moon :poly124:

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    You're right. This ruined the entire premise for me! Why haven't they built spaceships and gone to live on another, less green, planet? Wait, is there a pink planet with oxygen? Cause I'm feeling kind of exposed right now...

hahah you got me.. no not really. Hunters here put camo on and camo their face and mask their scents. Maybe they'll do that it the movie who knows. I might see it on the rental, but nothing I've seen so far is giving me that wanting feeling to see this at the theaters.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it's simple. the color blue tastes bad; fact. all predators know this.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Most creatures in all society 'blend' in to their surroundings or they get eaten. Why would blue people live in a green forest.

Tell that to the bushmen and the indians of South America, since they aren't exactly green either.

I find it unbelievable that everyone criticizes the hell out of a movie from a director with a nearly flawless track record, and yet most of you were perfectly okay with stuff like 2012, Revenge of the Fallen, or Harry Potter 6, not to mention other, even worse movies...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    vargatom wrote: »
    Tell that to the bushmen and the indians of South America, since they aren't exactly green either.

I find it unbelievable that everyone criticizes the hell out of a movie from a director with a nearly flawless track record, and yet most of you were perfectly okay with stuff like 2012, Revenge of the Fallen, or Harry Potter 6, not to mention other, even worse movies...

+1

cameron has done no wrong
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    had no intrest till I saw J.P. was in it:
    jp-grandmas-boy5.jpg
    JoelHatchet.jpg
    seein it for sure now-
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    vargatom wrote: »
    Yeah, who wants to see Terminator 2, as we all know the story is "killer robot comes back from the future to kill boy, another robot comes back to protect boy, and then then fight and the boy survives". Or Titanic? Everyone knows the story - the ship's gonna sink; so no need to go and watch that movie either. Oh, and Lord of the Rings, like there's anyone who has not read the books yet...

I mean come on, it's Cameron, can anyone seriously believe that ~15 minutes of released footage have spoiled the entire movie and there's nothing else that could be interesting about it but the effects?

I'm just saying I'm going to give it a rental when it comes out on DVD rather than go to theaters unless I hear something awesome from friends about it. I know Cameron makes quality stuff, although I hated Titanic, but that doesn't mean just because he made it makes it a must see movie for everyone. The main story summarized in the trailer looks dull, the artwork is turning a lot of people off, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to want to hold off on seeing it.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know why anywould would have plans soley to rent this. I mean if this movie nails anything, its going to be big, loud, crazy effects, etc- unless you have a killer home system, the big screen seems preferable for that. story aside- bigger and louder is better. sheeet I might even sit in the front row.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    The main story summarized in the trailer looks dull, the artwork is turning a lot of people off, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to want to hold off on seeing it.

Star Wars in 5 lines is dull, it's trailer suggested a movie that's pretty dull, in fact if you read the entire script on its own it's still dull. Yet almost every single one of us on this forum got into the entire CG business because that movie owned our childhood.

All I'm saying is that it's the execution that matters, the directing, the pacing, the acting can all make even a dull story into an awesome movie... so we can't judge that to be good or bad based on the trailer only. But it's all the stuff that Cameron usually gets done right, even in Titanic... So why write off this movie as a rental, especially after seeing all the other crap I've mentioned in the theaters?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got into a sneak preview for this in September at which they showed 20mins of footage from the film covering most of what is in this trailer. all of it was from the first half of the film, so the plot should be more expansive than what is simply described in the trailer. tho i wouldn't be surprised to see half the film be one giant battle...

anyways, dont knock the enviro and creature designs on the colors, when you see the world that they are in for more than just an instant you will see that they actually blend in rather insanely. also the blue people from what i gathered are primarily nocturnal, and every damn thing in the world has some fashion of bioluminesence. at night, they blend in very well.

see it in theaters, if for nothing else for the world that they created, its amazing. also, all of the creature design is imo pretty neat, they add a sort of functionality to everything while keeping it alien.

-Woog
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    @ Notorious Pig

So true so true >.<:D
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i totally agree with vargatom. hell, if you look at the majority of movies over the past 5 years... the stories are crap. they`re always the same. avatar really isnt anything TOO different. it just looks like the execution will be better than most. But, i do tend to see all SFX heavy movies in theaters. It relates too much to the game industry to NOT see it in theaters. i love seeing that stuff

what gets me is the mix between sci-fi and fantasy. and the fantasy side of it isnt the typical orcs, elves and whatever else they had in lord of teh rings. that stuffs been done to death. new ideas! i think cameron is onto something in this case.

but in terms of the director, i dont think anyone can say he is a bad director. you may not like the stories of the movies he directed (mainly titanic. haha), but for the stories he uses, he does them to perfection. true lies will ALWAYS be one of my favourite movies. :D
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18

···

···

···
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darn it!
    I knew I should have made the Fern Gully reference when I posted. DX
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    well ... I guess I know exactly what happens in the movie now, except for how they defend their land in the final battle... :|
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i totally agree with vargatom. hell, if you look at the majority of movies over the past 5 years... the stories are crap. they`re always the same. avatar really isnt anything TOO different.

Well for me that's exatly the problem. I am sure I could enjoy the movie for *itself*, but seeing it being overhyped everywhere is what makes me what to avoid it. I mean I can enjoy a 'decent' story like this one seems to be. But if we hype up the movie as the net big thing just because of shiny CG ... what kind of movie lovers are we.

I know I should be judging things for what they are and not according to what idiots say about them BEFORE seeing them. But still hearing stuff like OMG AVATAR IS LIKE A REVOLUTION IN MOVIE MAKING IM TELLING YA just ... irritates me. And that irritation, associated to the anticipation for the movie, is enough to spoil the movie going discovery for me already.

It just reminds me of some guys I heard after Spirits Within just enjoying the sound of their own nerdy voice sating 'yeah now we totally dont need real actors anymore!!!'.

Anyways ...

... I guess the lukewarm feel of the movie is just another downside of HUGE production values. Design by committee = never a good thing.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior +1

I have heard nothing but the words EPIC, REVOLUTIONARY, and JOURNEY... for the past year or two since the film was announced. If you build it up that way for so long the only place left to go is down...

My roommate said it made her think of Disney's Atlantis when first viewing the trailer... and later agreed it is very much like Fern Gully.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more into avatar because of the sci-fi world in it, I love that kind of stuff, name another sci-fi movie like this one.

and no, fern gully is not a sci-fi movie.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This scifi seems really generic and a tad uninspired though. Scifi universes like Alien, Terminator, Starship Troopers or Star Wars appeal 10 times more to me just from the look of it.
    I'm left cold by it, but maybe I'll go see it if my friends want to go.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exactly, I don't go see many movies in the theaters at all I just don't see all the 'hype' showing anything that I'm interested in. The 3D may blow me the fuck out of my seat but I don't think sitting in a theater with glasses on is next gen. It just doesn't appeal to me. I hate crowds, and why not wait a couple months let the hype train die down and get it as a rental for free and watch it in the comfort of my own home on my large screen and surround sound, where I can get up and pause it if I need too.

You've definitely, taken a different slant on my posts.. but tis cool it's the internet you are allowed to choose your fights and pick which ones you want to hone in on. :D I was more talking about 'creatures' and you busted in with Pink planets, so touche'...

Does it look cool? Fuckin Ace.

Does it look like something I'd be willing to sit in a theater for? Not yet.

Will I see it? Most likely, yes as a rental though, I only will see about one or two a year and those are usually the summer blockbusters.. if it is one. The last movie I saw in the theater was District 9, and Moon before that...

I don't think the hate trains left the station as fast as the fanboy blowjob train is heading down the track full steam trying to convert as many people that don't find it the least bit interesting. People have opinions, just because they aren't yours doesn't mean they aren't just as valid.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah I dont *believe* the hype. I just get very irritated by ... background noise. It's not just a matter of avoiding reading forums and such - it's hearing random friends or colleagues talking (in real life) about a "revolutionary" movie release that is, well, not released yet :P

Also I think there is something about folks feeling 'revolutionary' themselves when they talk about stuff they think is OMG IT'S LIKE REVOLUTIONARY!!! Just rolls off the tongue huh.

As far as designs go, yeah I think they are generic BUT! I am curious to see how everything fits together eventually.