Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Treasure Chest - First hack at hand painted textures

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys,

A lot of the hand painted pieces such as Erics and CerisierEnFleur has inspired me to get my feet wet and practice some hand painted metal and wood. I've never done it before (always been working on realism) so figured it would be great to take a stab. Here's my results .. feedback is appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

Viewport Shader - Xoliul
treasure_chest_1_900.jpg

treasure_chest_2_900.jpg

treasure_chest_textures.jpg

Replies

• vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Nicely done, I myself haven't really done too many hand painted but it's always been a very appealing style to me, and I may have to try it myself soon.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think if aanyyyything (it does look really nice by the way) maybe get a bit more colour variation in there, I'm seeing some nice purples in the shader, also... maybe tighten up the lines a bit (for each plank) cause right now it looks too muddy.
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cartoon like. good work
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colour variation, tighten up the lines a bit (for each plank) cause right now it looks too muddy.

Agreed, thanks Jason
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im confused, it looks like the chest is made to ingame specifications and the chain is not...
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would typicaly bake the chains down to alpha's but for the sake of time and practice I didn't. It's not being used in game anyhow.
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Nicely painted.

One crit: The knot in the wood on the front of the chest looks strange to me. Maybe it needs a little more love in the diffuse.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DnS, yeah I tried to imitate a knot in zbrush but didn't look natural, going to paint some more detail there.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looks nice Will

Although if this is something you are going to put on your website that is trying to get you a job in the game field I don't see why you don't put in the little extra time to optimize your chest mesh and turn those chains into alphas to make it a game ready object.

Doing little practice pieces like this are nice but when your looking for a job and your showing it on your website which should showcase your best work it gives off the wrong impression.

Think you should optimize it or take it off your website. And I didn't even notice the eye patch on the skull there till I really looked hard at it, should make that darker or have it "painted" black to make it pop more.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I dunno, I think the diffuse looks great but on that second screenshot it starts showing that it is not exactly working. As if the dynamic lighting starts looking odd and fights the highlights painted in the diffuse?

I am all for a hand 'pass' on normalmapped assets but I think in that case it wouldn't look to great ingame. Maybe it would work better if the normals were actually generated instead of painted. Maybe sculpt some wood plank surface on a flat plane and use that?

Interesting experiment for sure!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This looks awesome man.

I'm having some problems with the skull. The chest is supposed to be stylized and hand painted, as the skull is fairly realistic. I would tweek with it's proportions abit more (the skull) and maybe give him a big cranium or something exaggerated.

also it looks like there's a piece that the skull is covering over, i see it in your texture map but dont see it in on the model. I'd say scrap that. If you arent going to see it and this is just for show, then iwouldnt even put it in. You could remove it, and you'd free up alot more texture space for the skull.

Looks good though man, that first shot looks really neat. I like it.