Home General Discussion

The Job climate for character artists

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I wanted to throw this question out there, I was having a debate with a friend of mine on the topic the other day. Right now, I'm trying to work on getting a spot as a character artist. Characters are most definitely what I enjoy the most.

Problem I see is, everyone and there mother feels the same way. For every 1 character artist, there seems to be 10 environment artists. Some people have said, if you wanna do characters do characters, if you wanna do enviro, do enviro, but I'v ebeen thinking to secure a spot with the way the job market is now, is it worth considering, broadening out to almost become a 3d Generalist, to apply for both enviro and character positions?

I mean, my ideal would not be to start workign on enviro, but if it were to help me land a job...

My logical thinking is that you could then even make a lateral move to a character spot if one should open up in the company you work at.

I'm sure everyone has opinions on the subject, I'd be interested to hear them. Right now, personally, I would rather do characters and hope for the best, but I don't know if I would say that a year from know if I don't have job.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    a job is a job and if its something you really enjoy thats even better but if its something you enjoy only a little well then at least youve got a job. Im in the marketing/design industry doing 3D, I want to be doing games but this is where Ive landed up having a job and its not too bad quite fun studio environment etc but I still aim for the game industry. I dont imagine most people go straight into thier dream job right from the start. There do seem to be more jobs for enviro artists in general, Ive been helping with some enviro work for a mod because I want to expand my portfolio
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    everyone wants to be a rockstar.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I wanted to do Character Art, but got hired at Mythic to be an Environment Artist. Ended up doing that for about a year, then went to Character team, spent another year there, went back to Environment, then Lighting and Special Projects all for about a year (XP in both fields helped out with that), then back to Character/Items/Outsourcing.

If you're just as good at Env as you are at Char, then it's easy to start off in one and move to another. Just depends on what they have available at the time.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Dekard wrote: »

Too true.

There are fewer positions and more competition for character artists in this industry. I'm not saying you can't break in as a character artist but you're gonna have to be pretty bad ass at it. It will probably be easier for you to get in as an enviro artist and then, eventually, move over to a character artist position when a slot comes available. By all means do NOT mention in any interviews for enviro art positions you might land that is what you want to do, though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Agreed, even if you could stoop so low as to do environmental art and do it well, more than likely any place hiring for an enviro artist position would go with someone who has a passion for architecture and love of environments.

You probably don't want to hide that you can do character art, as it does come in quite handy, you'll be the go to statue guy. Which in theory should satisfy quite a bit of the character itch unless of course you're looking to get into character art because like Dekard pointed out, character artists get all the chicks.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting topic, I keep thinking the same. So many people like doing characters more yet there are a lot more enviro positions. I remember when I asked the HR manager from Crytek if you should do characters or environment to get in there, she just replied with a smile "Have you seen our characters?". Implying that you indeed have to be very badass to get started doing chars...
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I used to gravitate towards character too, but eventually I realized that environments have character too. Think of what kind of kick arse character you might want to make, then think of what kind of kick arse environment they're from. Incorporate all the cool things you love about characters into your environment.

Once you start taking environments seriously you'll find they're just as engrossing if not more engrossing than characters.

And yes, too many people are trying to get into character art positions, so your best bet is environment art, where there's still too many people trying to get in the door, just not as many :D. But don't think it's easy, I suggest getting the UDK editor and start trying to make a level. You'll realize it's a whole new ball game with its own set of rules. Learn to rely on amazing flat textures that are accented by small bits of details. Anyway, there's way too much to cover in a thread. Suffice to say it's not a bad idea to make the jump to environments, but expect a long road ahead covered with your blood sweat and tears, as well as your fallen opponents' one would hope!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    good luck... like ged, i ain't there yet
    this is a good read though.
    if i had the time to invest into switching over to enviro work, i would do it in a heartbeat... so if you don't have a TON of responsibilities ATM, then i recommend you take the plunge so you can get in.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Firebert wrote: »
    good luck... like ged, i ain't there yet
    this is a good read though.

Certainly a great thread, but would you say it's still relevant as much now? It seems that there's much more environment work being posted in WIP threads, more people advertising their sites / skills as environment artists, and more people asking questions and seeking advice on environment art.

I wonder how many people really want to do environment work, and how many see it as an 'in', or a means to get a gig while they work on their character portfolio.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Well you and me just finished talkin bout this! I think at the end of the day its gotta be about whats more important / relevant to you right now. Take into accounts the needs of life and also your sanity / happiness levels.

1) to be a character artist and employed at a dev?
    2) to be employed at a game dev as any kind of artist?
    3) to be employed at mcdonalds and work on developing your char art skills until you get the job you want?
    4) none of the above?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    You have some good work CJE, though I would say having only 3 characters might be something that will give you problems. I personally did environments/concepts/etc etc, for quite a long time before I finally became a character artist. I just continued working on the side, doing competitions to build up my character portfolio till I was able to step into the job of one. But the cold statistics are that 80% of the game is environments, and seriously talented envrionment artists like the one Firebert pointed to, are few and far between. So if you need a job now, maybe open to the idea of an environment artist, as you can always do them on the side.

Spark
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    danshewan: true, but for someone like CE that is really focused on characters ATM, it is very beneficial to see things from an environment artist's perspective
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    CJE wrote: »
    For every 1 character artist, there seems to be 10 environment artists.

??? It's the other way around.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but is that the iwanna side or the iam one ^^
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    The idea of (probably) needing to spend another year just doing environments/props trying to break in when I've already spent so much time doing characters is depressing.

I assume if your portfolio consists of mostly characters then you will be passed on for any 3d art positions doing props? Do hiring managers ever consider the time it can also take doing the accessories that a character can wear? That should have some overlap with environment props I'd think.

I am depressed beyond belief lately. Being laid off sucks and reading threads like this doesn't really help much, especially when I thought I might be ready to start applying soon. The idea of starting all over kinda chaps my ass.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I was in the same boat before I got a job. I ended up adding some environment stuff to my portfolio and got a job as a generalist. I've modeled about 3 characters vs about a gajillion environment assets and have had a hand in doing Materials for all the characters in the game. We have a small team, so it's essential that everyone don as many caps as possible. I'm sure it is entirely different with a larger art team.
    In any case, if you add some enviro assets, make sure they are more than an after thought addition to you portfolio. Avoid making alleys, barrels, and dumpsters=----oh yeah, and those concrete roadblock thingys
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I'm just going to chime in here really quick. Depending on where you land you could go from Environment Artist to Character Artist easily. You just have to show an interest and make sure your superiors know you want to do characters. I like doing both Environments, Weapons, and Characters. Sometimes I will be given a Head to model or body parts, armor, gear...etc. It really depends on where you land, just know its very possible to go from environment to character artist.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    ??? It's the other way around.

where the hell are you working where you have 10 character artists to one environment artist? Maybe on a fighting game?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    where the hell are you working where you have 10 character artists to one environment artist? Maybe on a fighting game?

I think he means the amount of people wanting to do characters versus environments.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Do what you have to do to pay the bills. Environments are a lot of fun too. There certainly does seem to be more positions for it too which is bonus.

Lateral moves are difficult. You'll still have to build a kick ass character portfolio.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    A lot of interesting takes in here, people seem to be more open to the idea then I thought. I mean, I don't know if I have a passion, at all for environments, maybe I would enjoy them maybe I wouldn't.

Then again, would it be worthwhile spending some time doing enviro work, or using that same time to get more character work done.

My end goal, is I want to be employed in the industry as quickly as I can, and if that would mean enviro would get me in quicker, or lets say give me a higher chance, it's something to consider.

I wonder how 3d generalists are looked upon by hiring companies. lets say my folio consists of 5 characters, 5 props/weapons, and a few buildings, does that make me a jack of all trades master of none, therefore hard to get any job, or make me more appealing because I would have diversity, and therefore could apply for both character and enviro art positions.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    CJE wrote: »
    I wonder how 3d generalists are looked upon by hiring companies. lets say my folio consists of 5 characters, 5 props/weapons, and a few buildings, does that make me a jack of all trades master of none, therefore hard to get any job, or make me more appealing because I would have diversity, and therefore could apply for both character and enviro art positions.

I don't necessarily agree that this constitutes as 3d generalist.
    IMOH, generalists are people who can model, rig, texture, light and render. They can do it all but perhaps there not pro in all category's. What they can do though is take something from from concept to final product. Something that is sometimes overlooked and often very valuable.

What your taking about, having a portfolio of some characters, enviro with some props is more or less, showing that your a talented modler/texture artist.

The way I see it, character art and environment art; they fall under two different trees: Modeling/texturing. Organic and hard-surface modeling is just the two different kinds of fruit. If you can model organic shapes and crazy hard-surface then that makes you a much more valuable artist.

just my two cents.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ark wrote: »
    I think he means the amount of people wanting to do characters versus environments.

Yep.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I see character artist spots open pretty often and you got a good folio, just keep workin those skills up and I think you'd be able to score a character art position pretty easily...
  • Joe Lemonade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    mikezoo wrote: »
    ...IMOH, generalists are people who can model, rig, texture, light and render. They can do it all but perhaps there not pro in all category's. What they can do though is take something from from concept to final product. Something that is sometimes overlooked and often very valuable...

A bit off-topic, but I totally agree on that. I used to be one of the few artists in the whole art team that was able to make a working asset out of a concept.
    I've always enjoyed knowing a bit more about the whole game-making process than just being able to create art. Also it's good to not having to rely too much on others when creating an asset. Unfortunately such skills seems to be of little value.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    check out the latest game industry mentor podcast on character art: http://gim.acanaday.com/

now that said... my first job was as an environment artist, for your first job take whatever you can get, don't just sit there in hopes of landing a character artist gig right off the bat, the whole lateral move to characters is not quite as easy as it may seem, and sometimes you may even have to change jobs to make it happen, but then you already have experience and thats a huge plus.

btw CJE: after checking out your stuff i have to say its really not too bad at all! You should be able to find a job out there somewhere, just keep applying! and apply everywhere!
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    @Rawkstar: Thanks for the kind words man, appreciate that. I've only been doing 3d for 8 months, so it's encouraging to hear.

I think for me, it comes down to what I am passionate about. I love characters, and even though it seems harder to land a gig doing it, I can't see myself doing other things. I could spend this next year doing environment art, trying to get good at that and maybe land a gig, or I could spend the same time working on become a better character artist.

I think either carries with it associated risks, just hard to determine which is going to work out for yourself in the end, and I dont think anyone could ever tell you that.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    8 months?!?! As in 8 months ago was the first time i opened a 3d program?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Whooof. It looks like I might be returning to the job market in another month or two. Nothing I did, thankfully enough. Just another casualty of downsizing brought on by an agressively bad economy. I'm actually lucky to have gotten a heads-up on this once several months in advance. (no official announcement has been made, but given the current economic climate, such rumors carry more weight) I'm not going to wait around. It's time to update the ol' website and spruce up the ol' resume.

I don't suppose you guys know of any game developers who need a web design guy? I make 3D models as a hobby, all my work experience is in web design and production.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    8 months?!?! As in 8 months ago was the first time i opened a 3d program?

Yah, I was in a doctorate program last year to be an Audiologist and decided I really wanted to be in the game industry, as an artist as my dream job, I had always been interested but never had the guts to try for it. I eventually tho decided life is short and back in Feburary I wanna say, early Feb, I went and got a tablet, and zbrush/max and started from there.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Here's a few secondary questions for Rawkstar, Xenobond and anyone else who got hired as an environment artist despite wanting to do characters.

What did you guys' portfolios look like at the time? Was it all character, did it have environments? Did you specifically apply for environments or did you apply for something else?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    my whole portfolio was characters, and i was hired on to do environments on the promise that there might be some character work in the future, I was really more of a prop artist than a true full blown environment guy. But yeah, at the same time, it ofcourse all depends on your supervisors too and the company, but alot of times if you do environments and you do a good job they may not want to move you over, they may already see you as an environment guy, which is why you may even have to switch jobs to do what you really want, but like i said experience is the biggest thing you need and once you have worked in the industry its pretty hard to get "knocked out of it" unless you just stop improving or get lazy and get worse hehe, which is also tough since you're doing this 8 hours a day every day, there's nowhere else to go but up.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I feel your pain, CJE...just keep at it homie, you'll get there ;)
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's nothing wrong with enviro art.. it's a very specialized field. If you think about it, environments are the real main character of a game, as it's what's mostly seen.

I learned more valuable things in the field as an environment artist, some of which are directly applicable to character art, than I have in my time of being a professional character artist.

If you're looking to get into the industry, there are many more spots open for environment related art.

Rawkstar's story isn't so uncommon... there are many people who have made a switch one way or another, and sometimes back again :P
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't suppose you guys know of any game developers who need a web design guy? I make 3D models as a hobby, all my work experience is in web design and production.

Valve has had a few postings for web stuff up for a while, actually a steam update last week had a few too.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have thought seriously about branching out in to environmental art. I started off doing both in my first games company,.
    After a long time doing characters, there is not that much work around right now so it has crossed my mind.

I think the danger here is seeing env art as some second best endeavour which it is blatantly not, though I suppose if you are stuck knocking out background objects then it might become a bit of as chore eventually.

recently as a freelancer I have done everything from morph targets to environments to animation
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ahhh rockstar on d radioo :)

imo you should be focus on one thing but be able to do other things as well .. but saying "yes I wan't to a character artist" is a good thing, but be able and open to do other work as well
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I would consider myself a generalist and I am hoping it will help me land a job soon. Been doing everything from modeling to simulation stuff and pretty high level rigging (yeah bragging but it took ages to learn :)). Would be dissapointing to come off as a jack of all trades master of none.
    But I've have read something similar on other forums as well so it really makes wonder whether to change my web portfolio to concentrate on one thing only. In my case that would be environments. Anyway, good luck finding a job! And be sure to tell about it here.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Dekard wrote: »

Totally agree, everyone's shooting for game industry jobs, the market's over saturated beyond hell. I'd love to work for an architecture or even a 3d Design company doing pre-vis stuff if I could find it.

Game art would be a dream job for me though. I've been out of school for almost 9 months now and I've gotten a couple of call backs but they just didn't have any open positions. Those were before the economy tank and studio closures. Now it feels like it's even tougher though with all those who just lost jobs and already have experience. Makes trying to break into it all really tough at the moment for anyone.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally don't want to be a rockstar. I just want to be some sort of inspiration for others to embrace on with their own imaginations, or creative passions.

To be a rockstar is one who works for the fame & profit, not the love of it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i want girls to take their tops off for me.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I dont think any character artists do it for fame/profit...
    I personally have never seen or heard any form of popular media make a reference to a specific character artist before (interviews by game art-related sites do not count as popular media).

Most cool characters I've seen outside of forums I wouldn't be able to name the artist of. For example the WoW intro cinematics and the ones made by Blur studios all look awesome, but the credit/praise goes to blizzard and blur instead of the many individual artists' names.

So... if you really want fame and work in the games industry then be a game designer :)
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Another approach is to just get in the industry doing anything. Then don't stop working on characters. Post them up, print them off, leave them on your desktop at work, generally just let people see it. Once your work starts to look awesome, the transition to characters will pretty well happen by itself.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Environments can be just as fun as characters when done at home, however at work it's rare that you get to do an entire room or set on your own with proper amounts of textures and polygons. If more environment artists got to create entire chunks the way character artists do, I bet more people would be interested in environments.

On the flip side, I don't know of really any character artists that like to work on customizable assets. It ends up being like env art is, where you're making lots of small chunks that have to be generic enough to be used in a lot of ways. it sucks all the unique creation aspect out of characters that is normally present.

Any time I've been doing unique env chunks, I've had just as much fun as when making characters, and more so than making character customization pieces, but making little env chunklets that will be used by level artists a million different ways isn't as much fun to me.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    On the flip side, I don't know of really any character artists that like to work on customizable assets. It ends up being like env art is, where you're making lots of small chunks that have to be generic enough to be used in a lot of ways. it sucks all the unique creation aspect out of characters that is normally present.

This is exactly what I've been doing with my latest character, ha! I love working with modularity and making a variety of things from the pieces.

I know for me I would like to branch out into prop and environment art and I'd be happy getting a job in any 3dart related specialization. I don't feel right applying for those other positions positions with no actual environments though. I am just wondering now, after spending a year polishing my portfolio for characters, how to show that I have an interest and skill in the rest without watering down the message that I enjoy characters the most.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Environments can be just as fun as characters when done at home, however at work it's rare that you get to do an entire room or set on your own with proper amounts of textures and polygons. If more environment artists got to create entire chunks the way character artists do, I bet more people would be interested in environments.

Any time I've been doing unique env chunks, I've had just as much fun as when making characters, and more so than making character customization pieces, but making little env chunklets that will be used by level artists a million different ways isn't as much fun to me.

I agree with you poop, my first real character artist gig was just that; making zillions of individual customizable character assets that aren't allowed to be anything more than generic lol, I still found it enjoyable tho ;) although I would have enjoyed a complete one even more. But due to the customizable nature of all the characters there are only bits to make. I did find despite that; making lots of never-ending bits does get you to be more efficient an speed up.

Just Love what you do CJE, I'm not at my dreamjob yet but I lovin makin my way there.