Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deadman - character for class

Hey everyone. I'm currently working on a character for class and my instructor advised me to post this up here. While I'm pretty much done working on him for class, crits will be appreciated as I'll continue refining what I need to for portfolio purposes. I'm just using diffuse and alpha maps for this.

My concept piece for the character "Deadman"
deadman_lineart.jpg

The 3d model w/texture
texture_progress05.jpg

Replies

• Evan-0-Matic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's get a little back ground on this guy! I really like the character concept, but i'm very curious about who he is...And what is the significance of the portraits?

The concept piece could use some color scheme attempts. And the model (altought it looks polished at this point)...it might be interesting to see him with slightly exaggerated proportions. Make him even more lanky, maybe shorten his torso and add some length to his limbs? Just a thought. The model doesn't really convey the same creepy feeling as the character concept.
    But all and all i like it!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    That's a killer concept! Things I think could be improved on the model: Pointier features. His chin looks too short and blocky, could use some pointier - sharper features like the concept.

Hands look a little stubby, his thumb especially looks fat at its base. Could probably lengthen all of the fingers for the creepy look in the concept.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a Dorian Gray kinda thing going on with his concept?
  • vayufox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the comments!
    The concept is that Deadman is an immortal who enjoys the sensation of dying. He fritters away most of his time killing himself in a myriad of ways. The concept drawing is more of an illustrative depiction of his masochistic tendencies. In a sense it's much like his "hall of fame", a library of methods he's employed so far.

I'll give it a shot with the proportion and facial structure changes. It definitely bugs me how normal looking he came out when translated to a 3d model and it's probably me attempting to keep to an ordinary human proportions.

An additional shot of close up for the face
    texture_progress06.jpg

DKK:
    Here are my wires and flats :)

wires.jpg

map1-1.jpg
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome concept idea, pretty original. my crits concerning the face would be that his hair is too high, also his forehead recedes a little to quickly. The chin below the mouth could use some refinement, the "w" shadow underneath his lip isnt too accurate. Lastly his adam's apple is too wide.

Digging the hair style though, nice disheveled look. Wicked concept work by the way
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Oh - something else.

Rings! Where are his rings? The rings totally complete the look along with those creepy bony fingers of his. Any plans on adding his rings?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    grr, forgot to post this morning... awsome concept/sketch =D

anyways, yeah first thing that stuck out to me was his chin and jaw was no way near as long and pointy as in the concept which i thought looked really cool.
    Also a little more colour variation in the skin or some more contrasty cool and warm colours overall could help the textures pop a bit more mebbe?

cool work tho, turned out great thus far
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yo dude, i think this is pretty damn cool.

I think that his face is like, ALMOST there, in my opinion, and if you pushed it a bit, i think it would be much more awesome.

i think you need to make it a lot more guant. those creases (I forget what they're called) running out from the nose for example.. the way they bow up like that, makes him seem to have a more fleshy, found, healthy face. I'd be tempted to make him a gaunt, pale motherfucker with a lot of texture.. that's what i get from your concept, anyway.