Home Technical Talk

Fn 2000 troubles

Ok making a new post for this. Previously thought the problems might be xnormal, but now beieve it to be a problem with the mesh and I need some help to try and figure out what is wrong.

I have a high and low poly of an FN-2000 rifle that I built in max. The low poly has been UV'd and I was attempting to create a normal map when suddenly it just stop producing any map and start giving errors. After a good deal of troubleshooting I have found that some how the mesh is corrupt and I have no idea how to fix it. To top it off, both the high and low poly models have the same issue.
It appears just fine in max, no problems there, but it now crashes xnormal when trying to generate maps and if I import it into zbrush, it appears as a mess that only somewhat resembles the actual model.
I have always had the habit of frequently saving my file with different file names so that I always have something to fall back on, but even those all have the same issue now.
I have tried resetting the xform a couple times, I have tried unifying normals and tried exporting as different file formats, but all give the same result.

Here's a few screens to illustrate the issue. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I would greatly appriciate it as I don't really have the time to go back and start over and I would hate to lose the mesh all together.

The high poly in max;

fn2000_lowpoly.jpg

The low poly in max

fn2000_lowpoly.jpg

The UVs

fn2000_uvs.jpg

What both meshes look like in zbrush

fn2000_inzbrush.jpg

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    run an STL check on it?

Try exporting with a different format?

It looks like your vert order is all kinds of fucked up in zbrush.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ran an stl check on it and cleaned up any errors on the low poly. Also ran it on the high poly, the only errors on it are some open edges. Exported both again after cleaning them up and still have the same issue.

I tried exporting as a 3ds an obj and an fbx. The obj is the only one that works for both meshes. The low poly exports fine with a 3ds but when trying to export the high poly in 3ds, it says the mesh has to many polys to export. It makes the file anyway but it is crap.

The fbx is no good to because it doesn't carry texture cords and when trying to use them in xnormal, it says that all faces need to be tris or quads. Thats no problem for the low poly, but it would take forever to go through all the polys on the high and make sure they are tris or quads.

I don't know what other format I could use that would allow me to export the high, and low with texture cords.

Any suggestions?