Tim Langdell and Edge Games still at it

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    pshh, PDFs :P
    IGDA Announces Dr. Tim Langdell has stepped down from IGDA Board

Monday Aug. 31st, Mt. Royal, NJ: The International Game Developers Association
    (IGDA) today announced that Tim Langdell has resigned from the IGDA Board of
    Directors, effective immediately. Dr Langdell had served on the Board since March

The resignation means that Dr Langdell's seat on the Board is vacated, and will be
    up for election in early 2010. The special meeting called for the membership in Oct.
    on this matter will no longer take place.

This message was sent by: IGDA, 19 Mantua Road, Mt Royal, NJ 08061

Email Marketing by iContact: http://freetrial.icontact.com

EQ for 2010!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The IGDA collects membership fees. That's useful. Membership fees buy beer.

Score for Tim "Douchebag" Langdell stepping down.

Once he's out of the picture for good, I can finish my newest game title:

Edge of Edginess: The Cutting Edge Trilogy
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Hahah awesome, Elysium
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    i'd buy it ely
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Skulburn wrote: »
    Personally i think that IGDA is useless, and does nothing to support the industry what so ever. Why it is still in place baffles me. What the industry really needs is one INDUSTRY event each year, which isn't held in a single location. We're in a digital age now, am i right? Why not hold multiple events to celebrate, and bring together all aspects of the games industry, but connecting each event via live audio/video connection. Each location can have a panel of speakers, which can be broadcasted throughout the event. It shouldn't be for gamers, it should be for developers/publishers. Why are we still relying on IGDA if they dont make any changes. Gaming is still seen as a dark subject in social media, this needs to change!

There should be one group for the industry which is then split into Europe, Asia, America. Each location can hold one of these events, which spans the entire week, which would give unlimited opertunities to the industry.

And its not just about this event either. There is no gouvernment support for the industry at all (especially here in the UK). Game Development still isn't considered "a real job" by most. I think its appauling how the industry is being run, and the lack of support for smaller developers who are trying to get going is disgusting.

If i had more knoweledge about the industry, i would love to do this. Unfortunatly, it seems, only a minimal amount of people think that having the industry as one, and only divided by location, is a good idea.

Same in Canada. Bigger than the film industry but we still don't get any tax breaks or have a job category at the bank. It really is quite silly.

I honestly dont know what the idga does except stroke egos either.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    seems like the problem is there's a bunch of people that are saying "we want someone else to form some sort of group to benefit me!" The IGDA can be productive if it's members are productive, I belive the DC area IGDA was kind of driven by 2-3 people. It could be because most of it's members don't really settle down in one place for more than a few years so only the major centers have any active community to speak of.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or it could be that most of its members are signed up through work automatically and probably wouldn't sign up voluntarily even if it was free?

I don't mean to be so harsh on the IGDA. But when all we get is drama and stupid special votes to get rid of douchebags its pretty transparent that not much is going on. This guy was one of the biggest movers and shakers actually getting stuff done (reworking the website). They get dues for what reason?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Why don't all you hard cunts start your own association and tell everyone you know to renig their membership in the IGDA and join yer new association.

Just a thought.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    the mothership is useless anyway, the heart and soul of the IGDA is in it's local chapters to keep the year-long momentum going, and the occassional conferences are icing on the cake. if you have a good local chapter, you'll be hearing presentations from the local dev community, meeting other guys from other studios, small studios have really healthy exchanges at these meetups. i don't pay for a membership btw, but reap the benefits that matter to me.. because there is an IGDA for the media dev authority to send money to. :)
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of one of the autodesk customer meetup things i got after i bought 3ds max,
    probably to tell me what other great autodesk products i could be buying.

we'll be holding a conference around this date, you're welcome to join. we'll be serving cookies and coffee.

a few weeks later: the conference time is closing in. we're serving COOKIES AND COFFEE!

thats around the time i started thinking: cookies and coffee? i'd rather have a conference where i told you about all the problems i'm having with 3ds max, and you're fixing them.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    Or it could be that most of its members are signed up through work automatically and probably wouldn't sign up voluntarily even if it was free?

I don't mean to be so harsh on the IGDA. But when all we get is drama and stupid special votes to get rid of douchebags its pretty transparent that not much is going on. This guy was one of the biggest movers and shakers actually getting stuff done (reworking the website). They get dues for what reason?

Work signed me up. When I got the email from IGDA I responded instantly to be removed. I want nothing to do with this group. I was actually offended my work would, with out my permision, sign me up. Then PAY for me to be in it. Ive never heard a single thing from igda cept "thanks for your money" fuck that.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Latest tidbit about this turd of dev, seems the indie devs are sticking it to him the best way they can.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/12/the-edge-case-indies.html
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    hahahahahaha! those were awesome... my fav...
    edgeform.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhahahaha! That's awesome. Good on all those guys. Nice to see the indie community sticking up for itself. :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I hope Tim Langdell suffers a violent death, soon. Fucking leech.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    He sued us too, 3 years or more Edge of Twilight was being worked on and advertised, not long after we released some trailers he tried his tactics on. I could only speculate on the outcome, but a mutual agreement was reached, so that probably means he got some dosh and a few other employees missed out on their severance pay as a result.

Not a fan, Tim, not a fan at all.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    This fucker is the worst. Goddamn, how is he allowed to get away with this for so long?!