Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
Fuck MW2, Assassins Creed 2 is out next week, got mine pre-ordered :D
Who else is waiting impatiently?

Replies

• MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Not me. I didn't like the first one. Was a beautiful game...but after the first hour of doing the same things over and over again...and riding a damn horse, I got bored of it.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Hope they've improved the repetitiveness from the first. Was gonna get the PC version, but whadda know it got delayed.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I did a little contract work on it so I am looking forward to that
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hell ya I am! I beat the first one and eagerly waiting for AC2.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    yesyesyesyesyesyesyes. I've read a couple of reviews and it sounds like they've addressed the main flaws from the first game (repetitiveness, lack of day/night cycle, combat etc.). Looks pretty awesome and I'm really looking forward to it. Roll on next Tuesday!
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Got my LCE preordered. Comes out the same day as L4D2, so I'm lookin forward to a day full of zombie gibs and stabbin aristocrats! :D
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »
    Got my LCE preordered. Comes out the same day as L4D2, so I'm lookin forward to a day full of zombie gibs and stabbin aristocrats! :D

Looking forward to another teeny figure? XD

Also looking forward to this game... took months to figure out who borrowed my AC1. Been itching for some stabby goodness.

The 20-30 minutes prequel video about Eizo's father on XBL was pretty cool.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I had the first one (maybe it's still here somewhere...), but after my 4th city of doing the same thing, I didn't stick to it. I do intend to finish it someday...
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy wrote: »
    Looking forward to another teeny figure? XD

:poly127:

Asked at the Gamestop before I preordered, this one's supposed to come with a proper statue. :poly142:
  • EbolaV
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    what the fuck. Did i sleep to long? Why are so much good games released these days o.0 someone want to buy me AC2? :(
  • Dippndots
    gah i can't wait for this game, im so excited that the hidden blade can be used for more than counter kills. According to IGN they've fixed pretty much everything that was wrong with the first game.

I NEED IT NOW!!!!
  • 00Zero
    oh man, mw2, forza3, ac2, l4d2, gaytony. so many games so...many...games. its hard to juggle between them all.

creed2 is a day 1 purchase for me i think. i loved the first one. the only thing i absolutely hated about it was the sci fi bullshit element. i mean, it just dragged everything down i think. slowed down the story. i hated having to sit there in that stupid machine and navigate through all these weird menus. i just wanted to get in there and do my thing, not listen to a 5 hour lecture by crazy doctor dude and creepy looking chick. other than that it was great. i hope they streamline that sci fi business and get straight to the actual game.
  • ru4it
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    my copy is already paid for :) now its just the agonizing wait for d-day :poly127:
  • MALicivs
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    I want L4D2... :(
    5 more days...
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    So, I watched one of the AC:Lineage episodes online. It seemed cool, but emphasized quite heavily the main thing that put me off in the first game—the character you play doesn't really seem like an assassin. He's invincible versus armored soldiers and likes to jump off things. In my opinion, the character is more like Predator, or something. I can tell they're just running with that in the second one, so I don't think misplaced expectation will lead to disappointment here, but I'm still gonna check reviews and ask some friends if I ever consider picking the game up on PC. But eh, as if I ever will; it seems like a sort of consumer's game, meant to be eaten up shortly after release... so I guess not for me.

Maybe if I just start thinking of it as Rambo's Creed, instead? As awesome as it looks, the gameplay knots my knickers. :/ Like I want to enjoy it, but can't, because I'm bitter and brokenhearted after the hype of the first.
  • Snipergen
    Can't wait for this game. The only game I pre-ordered this year! :)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    they've addressed the main flaws from the first game (repetitiveness, lack of day/night cycle, combat etc.).

Didn't the combat rock in the first one? I thought it did, really intuitive...I agree on the lack of day/night cycle though, I thought that was a stupid thing to omit.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Didn't the combat rock in the first one? I thought it did, really intuitive...

So did I. Defeating crowds of between ten and fifteen guards, with all the counter-moves, blocks and parries was one of my favorite aspects of the game, especially hacking your way through about two hundred guys towards the end. Awesome.

I'm hoping that the addition of DaVinci's inventions doesn't make it too gimmicky, and some more variety in the missions would be nice. In the first one, I was at least expecting the mandatory number of investigation missions to increase as the levels progressed, instead of remaining at three throughout. I'd like to see some more interaction with the environments, as well - my favorite hit was the guy on the boat, purely because it necessitated some thought and planning regarding how to reach him unseen, whereas the others could be accomplished with minimal thought.

Still really enjoyed it though, even with the annoying modern-day cutscene sections.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the 'problem' with combat in the first one was that you never were actually overwhelmed, which was kinda contradictory to the whole 'stealthy, run and hide' kind of thing. Think of it like Metal Gear Solid, you could go crazy and run n' gun, but the idea was to craftily take out the other guys, or get by them without fighting at all. I think they were going for the idea of "he's capable, but he's not some battle-axe weilding fighter". :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I think the 'problem' with combat in the first one was that you never were actually overwhelmed, which was kinda contradictory to the whole 'stealthy, run and hide' kind of thing. Think of it like Metal Gear Solid, you could go crazy and run n' gun, but the idea was to craftily take out the other guys, or get by them without fighting at all. I think they were going for the idea of "he's capable, but he's not some battle-axe weilding fighter". :)

you couldn't go run n gun in MGS on anything above easy difficulty tbh.

so yes, i agree, in AC you never ever felt overwhelmed, you're rarely actually attacked by more than one person at once. you'll be surrounded by 10-15 people, who'll gladly take turns making a swing at various of your body parts. the only problem is, because it's one at a time combat goes like this:

watch for movement - counter.

that is all. it was great at the beginning of the game when you're getting used to it, but after that it's "yaaaaawn".
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my "don't forget, midnight pickup on monday" text from GameStop today. Can't wait to play it! :)
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I never felt... stealthy or super sneaky in AC1... sure I was walking in the crowd and blending in but that was more not-acting-suspicious than true stealth, watching the patrols, sticking to the shadows. Stabbing someone and walking away before the guards arrived were good jolts of sneaky fun but in-between... eh.

Groups of guards were easy to beat after you found they rhythm to it, if not you just run away and hide then try again. As said they took turns too often, rarely two would attack at the same time.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel like I need to be sneakier in borderlands (even with Brick) than I ever did in AC1.
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    snemmy wrote: »
    Honestly I never felt... stealthy or super sneaky in AC1... sure I was walking in the crowd and blending in but that was more not-acting-suspicious than true stealth, watching the patrols, sticking to the shadows. Stabbing someone and walking away before the guards arrived were good jolts of sneaky fun but in-between... eh.

This was one of the more disappointing aspects for me from AC1. The guards were incredibly short-sighted so you really didn't have to worry about being spotted. Also, the lack of stealth moves (pressing up against the walls, going prone, peeking around corners etc.) was a bit of a let down. I can understand that they wanted you to 'hide in plain sight' in busy areas, but on deserted rooftops it would have been nice to give the player the illusion of having to be more careful. It's a small gripe to be honest, though.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    I can understand that they wanted you to 'hide in plain sight' in busy areas, but on deserted rooftops it would have been nice to give the player the illusion of having to be more careful. It's a small gripe to be honest, though.

That's true. Also, I wonder if you can hide bodies like in Metal Gear Solid in AC2.
  • 00Zero
    I wonder if you can hide IN bodies.....hmm

TOMORROWWWWWWWWWWWWWW cant wait
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    march 2010 for PC!? WTF..
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »

Seriously?

God damn it, not again.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message

As staunch a PC gamer as I can be at times, I seriously have to wonder why you'd pick up a game with controls like AC has for the PC?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    As staunch a PC gamer as I can be at times, I seriously have to wonder why you'd pick up a game with controls like AC has for the PC?

360 gamepads are way cheaper than 360s if you already have a good computer.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18

to save 20 bucks... :)
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    to save 20 bucks... :)

Ah, they're not pulling an IW move, huh. :poly142:
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked up my "Master Assassin Edition" tonight, GameStop even had a little balsa wood slip-together airplane toy to give away as well labeled withe AC2; made me smile cause I haven't had one of those things since I was a little kid. :)

I'm not gonna play the game til tomorrow after work cause it's too damn late to be able to play it at a decent volume. :(
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Started playing it... my god Ubisoft's evil. They're totally pandering to my love of "here's a million quick little side quests that'll boost your main character if you so choose" gameplay. :D

Be sure to check out the UPlay thing Ubisoft is trying out, you can unlock extra content with the "Uplay points" you earn.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    3 hours and 16% in. So far?

-Story is already MUCH better than that of AC 1. More intrigue to the modern story as well as the historical.

- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more things to do. Way, way, WAY more things. Ugh. Love it.

- I feel like I have to play stealth. Especially when I am 'Notorious' amongst the guardsmen. I love that you have to blend in to a crowd, or go around they're eye-sight, or distract them somehow, etc.

- Throwing $10 in change on the ground is hilarious.
  • 00Zero
    ive only played a couple of hours so far, but its fucking great. i have to get used to the controls again, i keep accidentally jumping off rooftops and then realizing that theres nothing to grab onto and I fall 50 feet to the ground.

i still need to collect more moniez to actually afford some shit at the shops
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    just watched some videos for it and omfg. cant wait to purchases this. I feel like a total tool for "trading" in my copy of AC1 at gamestop. Loved the first one so much.

Can anybody tell, how much the combat has changed? Good or bad?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The combat is pretty well identical to the first one with the added addition of a few things, mostly within the 'grab' context. When you grab an enemy, you can throw them just as you normally would, but now you can headbutt, knee, punch, or out-right KILL them with a knife slash across the throat.

There's a new evasion system in the game, similar to how GTA 4 did theirs: When the guards are alerted, there's a yellow circle on your map indicating their range of awareness. Get outside that circle for X amount of seconds and they're alertness goes down.

Something that should be said: So far, this game is 100x better for the 'stealth' aspect than the original. Meaning, I never felt stealthy in the first one but in this one, because of the guard alertness system (read: notoriety) you have to play stealthed, or fight constantly. You can do neat things to get around guards:

-Throw money to make a distraction
    -Hire prostitutes to help you blend in a crowd OR tell them to flirt with the guards
    -Hire merc's to fight the guards
    -Kill a guard on a roof, dump his body over the edge, use the mayhem to get by
    -Etc

There's a new crowd system in the game, too. If you're blended in to a crowd, the game tells you this so you know the guards cannot see you. I've used this more than anything to get in to areas under lock-down.

I feel like a ninja.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I HATED the first one. Beautiful game, so pretty, but so SO boring. I feel as though, in the first one, you practically played the entire game in the first half hour - Is this still true in AC2? Should I risk getting the second one? I loved Prince of Persia (not the latest one as it suffered from the same problems as AC1, imo...) and, generally, really like that style of game...Should I give this a try? Will my issues be resolved? Just reading what others say, it sounds like a lot of the things that brought it down have been improved, but I'm not sure if it's from a biased point of view or not :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    I feel like a ninja.

And this is why I will buy the game.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Gav wrote: »
    I HATED the first one. Beautiful game, so pretty, but so SO boring. I feel as though, in the first one, you practically played the entire game in the first half hour - Is this still true in AC2? Should I risk getting the second one? I loved Prince of Persia (not the latest one as it suffered from the same problems as AC1, imo...) and, generally, really like that style of game...Should I give this a try? Will my issues be resolved? Just reading what others say, it sounds like a lot of the things that brought it down have been improved, but I'm not sure if it's from a biased point of view or not :)

Yes, get it.
  • Mark Dygert
    adam wrote: »
    3 hours and 16% in. So far?

-Story is already MUCH better than that of AC 1. More intrigue to the modern story as well as the historical.

- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more things to do. Way, way, WAY more things. Ugh. Love it.

- I feel like I have to play stealth. Especially when I am 'Notorious' amongst the guardsmen. I love that you have to blend in to a crowd, or go around they're eye-sight, or distract them somehow, etc.

- Throwing $10 in change on the ground is hilarious.
    Good to hear, the story got in the way in the first one. So did the training and the action was so spaced out between so much "out of your control" cut scenes and explanations that I never got very far. Cool looking game, neat mechanics just too much time spent watching crap they strung together instead of playing.

So many good games out right now what are they doing to me... Actually I'll probably end up not picking them up, putting them on my xmas list get most of them and then never play em until 6mo down the road.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • 00Zero
    scarface? oh wait, i get it
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    what a visual treat this game is, only things that bug me are the characters faces/cross eyed appearances and the cast shadows constantly jittering if you stand still and look at them.

texture work on the buildings is primo, love love love it. the animations blend pretty niceley and im glad they decreased the repetition. really liking this game so far.
  • mdale13
    I was a huge fan of ACI, but I recognized and accepted its flaws. However the core gameplay was so impressive to me that I overlooked all of its flaws. This is not the case with ACII. I cant pick out any flaws. Everything that I noticed about the first game has been addressed. Fighting is more diverse (dual hidden blade kills and disarm counterkills are sick), story is much more engaging on both ends (reality and in the Animus), a few new and very useful changes to climbing, just a multitude of things. I have been using the shit out of the smoke bombs, whether to escape a fight or to temporarily blind guards watching a bankers chest. The new weapons are really awesome, especially the ones you can use after disarming the heavy units. The ledge/water/haypile/dual assassinations are an awesome touch. I personally think Ezio is one of the greatest improvements. He is a much more likable and identifiable character. I did like the mysterious/quiet Altiar, but having the same formula for the main character, two games in a row would have been terrible. The only thing that really bothers me is the kill animations. For the single hidden blade, dagger and sword, they are the EXACT same as the ones used in ACI. I really dont understand Ubisofts reasoning behind this. All the animations for the dual handed sword, mace, hammers, spears, axes and halberds are really awesome, but its just a let down to see the same couple kill animations for the older weapons. But in the overall scheme of the game, its only a minor flaw.

So for me, this is game of the year, by far. I havent had this much fun playing a video game in a long time, and as a minor history enthusiast, I am always eager to play a bit of historical fiction, especially the type that takes place outside of WWII.
  • vargatom
    It's a bit of a Grand Theft Assassin now, but that's all good. The amount of stuff to do is really amazing...
  • EbolaV
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    That sounds pretty nice. Was able to take a look at the game while someone played it at work. Looks really nice. I love that enviro. Have to think about if i grab a copy :)
  • 00Zero
    one thing that i noticed: if you run up or down stairs, it doesnt change the animation. it simply elevates your character so the feet might or might not end up on a stair step. which is weird because when you climb, your hands and feet always get planted in the perfect spot.

thats a deal breaker for me.

kidding