Home General Discussion

l4d 2 demo! thoughts??

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    haha the guitar is one of my favourites! kablaarrngg! spliing! fplaang!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    *criiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinge* :P

We just got owned. 3 of us incapacitated, the final survivor ridden off the alarm platform by a jockey, into a goddamn charger.

Infected AI does seem to have gotten better.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Had a jockey ride me into a car alarm yesterday.

That little bastard.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    dunno how I'd feel paying the full amount, but with the 4 pack I paid 20 quid which is about the price of an expansion pack. So it's all fine by me :)
    especially if the expansion has *more content than the original
    Yeah, the 4-pack made it worth it. An expansion price for an expansion pack is appropriate. Sucks for everyone who doesn't know three people who will pay them back, though.

I think L4D2, based on the demo, is better than the original overall in terms of gameplay. I don't find the daylight ruins it at all (it's not like the original was scary and this one still has plenty of dark places) and the new infected/weapons provide much needed variety. I also like that the starting SMG doesn't suck balls anymore. Yay, it's like there is actually a choice now.

The jockey is so deceptively brutal. He's totally harmless most of the time and then suddenly he will end your entire game by throwing you off a ledge into a horde or around a corner where no one can save you. Spitter is hilarious, and the charger is interesting. In general it's just nice not to see hunters and smokers every five seconds anymore and you don't get locked into an endless boomer/horde cycle.

I don't find myself gravitating to any of the new characters, though. I don't know if it's because they didn't include much audio in the demo or what... but the original four were instantly entertaining and the new four just don't stand out or say distinct things. Every once in a while it sounds like Ellis says something good but I can never understand him unless everything is totally quiet. I can't recall a single thing any other character has said. Big change from Francis hating everything and Louis' obsession with PEELS.

So yeah, characters are disappointing and I totally stand by calling it an expansion pack but it plays well.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i sooooo miss francis. "I HATE VANS"
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    • The Charger looks too much like the Tank
    • The Director isn't sneaky enough with spawning boomers and smokers (it used to spawn them in places with cover, and now you seem to run into them in the street like common infected, on every play)
    • A guitar as a fucking melee weapon?! This just seems so horribly cheesey to me and I cringe every time we get them spawned. Machete, baseball bat, etc fit really well, but a goddamn guitar? UGH.
    I found the Director spawning boomers/smokers and such just around corners, where you'd come running and get hit. Almost like how PvP people play. And the Charger can kill you well before your friends get to you on the hardest level. Much faster than the Tank. I've gotten sacked from the top of that platform and it was certain death. Seeing a Charger or Jockey coming out from a crowd is a good tactic as they mix in well. Jockey is small and you're bound to miss it turning a corner.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc wrote: »
    I don't find myself gravitating to any of the new characters, though. I don't know if it's because they didn't include much audio in the demo or what... but the original four were instantly entertaining and the new four just don't stand out or say distinct things. Every once in a while it sounds like Ellis says something good but I can never understand him unless everything is totally quiet. I can't recall a single thing any other character has said. Big change from Francis hating everything and Louis' obsession with PEELS.
    The Coach was voiced by the boxing coach guy from The Wire, which is one of my favourite shows ever. Pretty cool, imo :)
    Lamont wrote: »
    I found the Director spawning boomers/smokers and such just around corners
    Smokers don't do well in 1 on 1's, head on. You have to play dirty, grabbing them from the back, pulling them off platforms, etc, with lots of cover. If you nip round the corner and meet one at close range, they're pretty useless.

Boomers, on the other hand, are bastards at close range because even if you push one away, someone on your team always pops him, and you're left dripping wet, shivvering in the corner.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    @Daylight, there are night campaigns in in l4d2 as well so its ok i think (atleast dark carnival is).

Yeah the demo is a blast! I have some issues with it though like the fact that it seems to be a bit cluttered and the guns are reeaaallly big. But it plays good, making fun of the southern accent with friends is great :P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to bump this but I finally had the opportunity to play it tonight and wanted to weigh in with my thoughts ...

I was more than willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt on releasing a follow up so soon but this really feels like more of the same to me. At this point I am not only certain that I won't pony up full price for this but am also feeling like the first L4D wasn't worth the full price of admission either. Don't get me wrong, L4D is fun for what it's worth but I am not sure I really got my money's worth out of it. I'm sure those of you who play it regularly with friends, and will continue to do the same with L4D2, feel differently about this but, approaching it from more of a "casual" standpoint, I can't really justify whether either of them are worth more than $30. Considering the limited number of campaigns in each, the value in the L4D franchise really seems to lie in the replay value, so if that's not something you are into doing your money is probably better spent elsewhere *shrug*
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't know L4D had 4 different acts to it till a month after owning it. I kept playing Mercy over and over.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing the demo over and over again, it's soooo good. Can't wait for the real thing! (The full game, that is, not a zombie apocalypse!)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Lamont wrote: »
    I didn't know L4D had 4 different acts to it till a month after owning it. I kept playing Mercy over and over.

Same here. :poly136:

Downloading the demo now. I don't know why, but I'm expecting disappointment.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I'm of the same opinion as I had with L4D the first...

Meh.

Pretty well the opposite of what I like about zombies and zombie games. It's like running through ankle deep water while someone sprays you with a water hose... occasionally throwing a big bucket at you.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    MMmmmMmmmm......so delicious. Love all the new really fun weapons.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L4D is the only acceptable existence of fast zombies I will accept. :D
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are they actually zombies, though?

Fast-running, mutating bipeds that punch/kick you in when you're down, rather that eat you? :( I've always questioned this misnomer.

Bladdy lavley demo though. Can't wait till full release!
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    I am really unimpressed. Extra unimpressed since I played the Australian Demo. The weapons etc felt clunky and meh, and the spitters acid pool is possibly the worst particle effect I have seen in a game recently.

The characters seem to lack zing and the new special infected models look poorly made. (For instance the tank seems to have zero muscle definition or structure anymore and the spitter simply looks impractical and ungainly)

However I hear the pc demo is mostly an xbox port, so here's hoping there are a few fixes coming up, however as it stands definitely not buying and I am someone who loved the first game.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear you have to experience the ganked version of the game, Carbon. I personally found the weapons to be a drastic upgrade, everything has kick and feels more deadly. You're absolutely missing out on the visual upgrades to the game cause of your version of it; the blowing off of limbs and various bits, and the zombies reactions to such an assault, truly makes this a fun experience. Gamers in Aus need to do a zombie pub crawl on the offices of the retards that essentially are telling your country's populace 'your adults aren't adult enough to think for themselves'.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like the first one was for me, I wasn't as blown away as I'd been expecting, but still really enjoyed it. After getting used to the first one, I loved it, I expect it will be the same with this one.

For those still playing the first, I'd recommend trying some of the custom campaigns people have put together (l4dmaps.com and l4dmods.com have a bunch). Some are well done and a lot of fun, and it's nice to go somewhere new.

I've basically played almost exclusively with the same 10 or so people since the game came out (only had random folk a couple of times) and it's really the way to play the game. I think going on random servers really makes you miss a lot of the fun.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    I think going on random servers really makes you miss a lot of the fun.

Not to mention put up with a lot of douchiness. I probably would have enjoyed / played L4D more if I had found a regular group to play with. Ah well.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    agreed about the random server comment. no-where near as good with randoms..

on that note I need more polycounters in my friends list. Rooster13 !
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are they actually zombies, though?

Fast-running, mutating bipeds that punch/kick you in when you're down, rather that eat you? :( I've always questioned this misnomer.

Maybe it was easier to animate convincingly than tearing flesh off you, especially given the first-person perspective. Might have looked okay as an onlooker, but imagine how it'd look when you're on the deck. Maybe collisions were a factor, too - how many infected could realistically grab a bite of you in those sized crowds?

Could also have been a gameplay issue in terms of survivability, to help the suspension of disbelief. I mean, you might get up again after a sturdy kicking, but if they had you down for a few seconds literally ripping you to pieces, then you get up and down some aspirin? People would be calling bullshit and ragging on the game as a result.

Demo's at 60%. I'm getting anxious to try these meaty new weapons everyone keeps talking about....
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed about the random server comment. no-where near as good with randoms..

on that note I need more polycounters in my friends list. Rooster13 !
    I'll add you. I am sick of the assholes who kick you for stupid shit, like:

Not killing all the Survivors as Tank.
    Not giving pills to someone who needed it.
    Falling off a ledge.
    Missing a pull as Smoker.

Pretty much the assholes are the ones that ruin online play for any game I own. So I usually buy single-player games. Or is it that the L4D vote system is stupid?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we could do with a list of people who have it and what timezones they are in; to help get some regular sessions going.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "EvilViking13" on STEAM, USA East Coast, usually only on on the weekends
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    "ukchichiri" on Steam, UK, don't really have any "regular" playing times, I just play whenever I feel like :p
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First game, I joined in towards the end of an ongoing game, just before the rush to silence the alarm. Someone got spewed on by a boomer, at which point I (rather heroically, I thought) rushed towards them to provide covering fire. Then, while I fought gallantly against the oncoming horde, they all rushed into the train car thing and laughed their asses off. I nearly survived, too. If only I could've held out for a while longer so I could have strolled around to the other side and waited for their sorry asses to come out from hiding.....

The weapons certainly are meatier and more satisfying this time round, though I don't know why, but the controls felt a little more sluggish than in the first game. I'd like to see the night-time campaigns, as somehow the daylight makes the horde seem less threatening. The spitters look awesome, and the jockeys are good for a laugh.

I've got to say that I didn't even bother with a melee weapon. Two of the guys I was playing with were determined to only use melee weapons, and we ended up babysitting them both. Hopefully the novelty will wear off shortly after launch.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    melee weps have their uses, but not for general open fighting. pretty good at blocking a horde in a doorway or something like that, especially with 2 people. much better than with pistols, and no ammo lost
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'flaagan', West Coast USA, whenever. :D

There's actually a Polycount steam group.

I've been getting my killing fix by just camping out at ammo dump points in the game and letting hordes come to me. :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh melee weapons certainly have their place. Get spewed on? Back into a corner with a melee weapon (mmmmm guitar). Left click, right click, left click etc.

Running to silence an alarm and crap keeps getting in your way? Machete their assess off as you run right through them.

We'll need to get some mass polycount stuff going on once the full game is out.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I have to admit, I didn't enjoy the first L4D much at all, but after having played the demo for L4D2 at work this evening... It's a hell of a lot more fun than the first was, especially as far as weapon variety and how they can be used goes.

The gore is just ridiculously satisfying :D

Quite tempted to pick it up some day.
  • _Calix_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just joined the PC group, hit me up - _Calix_, GMT. I'm up for playing anytime. Hardly any friends to play this with. I need some polycount friends nao!

There's something oh-so-sweet when you pump a zombie full of lead with a shotgun, and see straight through their torso. I love the new damage system.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I have to admit, I didn't enjoy the first L4D much at all, but after having played the demo for L4D2 at work this evening... It's a hell of a lot more fun than the first was, especially as far as weapon variety and how they can be used goes.

The gore is just ridiculously satisfying :D

Quite tempted to pick it up some day.

QFT. Just played the demo and it makes the first one look like a tech demo. Everything is just better. Shaders, animations, weapons...I'm really liking the melee weapons, especially the machete, and can see maybe see why the australian classifications board kicked up in that regard.

If I could get a refund for l4d I would buy l4d2 with it :P But it'll have to wait till it hits the weekend deal I guess.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if they've been updating the AI over the last week or so, but damn playing Advanced and Expert now were getting torn up. The AI is working so well together its awesome. Really getting into this now.
    melee weps have their uses, but not for general open fighting. pretty good at blocking a horde in a doorway or something like that, especially with 2 people. much better than with pistols, and no ammo lost

Yeah door blocking seems to work the best. I've also noticed when running through the alarm sequence in the second map that it much easier with with 1 person in front and 1 in back with melee with 2 in the middle shooting. Made it way easier getting past globs that would occur during the run.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Got an invite to play some more rounds yesterday, and i grudgingly joined, i was kinda over the demo.

But i'm with Sicsided. It feels like there's been some major stealth updates to make the Director just more kick ass. We were playing expert and every round was just flat out fun.

Can't wait to see what kind of uncommon common are to be found in other levels, and Vs. is going to be off the f*cking hook.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you got mudmen (dunno, i guess they come out the ground), clowns (squeaky shoes attract other zombies), the armoured police dickheads (fuckin bastards), and hazmat fireproof zombies. great idea, they definately throw a spanner in the works

seeing one of those police zombies coming towards when you're incapacitated is just excruciating
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For as many times as I've played it, I only got the Magnum on my first run through. It's been my favorite gun so far. I think my idea load out would be the assault rifle (M16 style setup, though I'm partial to the upgraded sniper rifle), the Magnum, a pipebomb, med pack and pills.

Managed to use the shock paddles once on an AI after a tank tore through us on Advanced, gotta say I'm damn glad is refills health.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    I think my idea load out would be the assault rifle (M16 style setup, though I'm partial to the upgraded sniper rifle), the Magnum, a pipebomb, med pack and pills.

That's exactly what I had on my last run through, and it owned. Definitely the load out of choice.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i'd switch out the m16 for the burst fire assault personally, I just like it.. and it seems easier to preserve ammo. that's about right tho.. wish you could carry boomer bile and a molo at once :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd switch out the m16 for the burst fire assault personally, I just like it.. and it seems easier to preserve ammo.

I did like the burst fire, and yeah, definitely easier on the ammo, but I prefer the rate of fire with the M16. And the magnum definitely wins for close-range stopping power, not to mention the feel of it. It just commands respect.

Can't wait for the 17th.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually found myself wasting more ammo with the burst fire mode. I've generally never cared for burst fire in games, always feels like I'm missing more than hitting. I prefer having control over whether or not I decide to double tap on a zombie or not. I think the thing that bugs me most is the pace at which I have to click with burst fire guns in games, it's like this uncomfortable gap between full auto (holding down the button) and single fire (click click click). I dunno, just my own preference. :)
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. None of you guys like the new combat shotgun? I run to it, skipping like a little girl, every time I hear one's available.

It minces up anything you point it at (I managed to shoot both arms and a leg off a common infected in one shot, which is pretty fucking cool by any stretch), no recoil, whoops the piss out of the tank and anything else, and that or the original auto shotgun are the only weapons that seem to give you a chance of making it through the alarm maze on expert - the automatic rifles seem to just be too precise to hit anything whilst running.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. None of you guys like the new combat shotgun? I run to it, skipping like a little girl, every time I hear one's available.

The chrome shotgun? Or is there an actual full-auto SPAS 12-style shotgun I've not come across yet?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    The chrome shotgun? Or is there an actual full-auto SPAS 12-style shotgun I've not come across yet?
    Full auto SPAS :)

AFAIK, there's 4 shotguns. There are 2 pump actions (I have no idea of the difference between these, though - maybe one has more damage, range or pump speed?), and 2 full autos.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Full auto SPAS :)

AFAIK, there's 4 shotguns. There are 2 pump actions (I have no idea of the difference between these, though - maybe one has more damage, range or pump speed?), and 2 full autos.

Excellent. I would go off and try to score some face time with that badass, but apparently updating my Steam client has borked the demo, so I guess I'll just have to wait. :poly127:

I think the chrome shotgun has an increased rate of fire compared to the standard pump, but I'm not 100% on that. It certainly felt faster.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the new shotty (chrome) definately has more accuracy.. its my preferred starting weapon
    danshewan: try deleting your clientregistry.blob?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    I think the chrome shotgun has an increased rate of fire compared to the standard pump, but I'm not 100% on that. It certainly felt faster.
    the new shotty definately has more accuracy.. its my preferred starting weapon

Nice one. Will be putting this to good use!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think maybe *maybe the new shotty has less 'pellet' hits but closer grouped
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip, rooster but it wasn't necessary after all. It just worked this morning, without the need for any intervention. :\

So I finally managed to score one of the auto shotguns, and man - that badass just tears through crowds. The run for the alarm was much easier with it, as the rate of fire and spread ensured that even if you're the type of player that couldn't hit a cow's ass with a banjo, you'll still make your mark. I found it was pretty good for rescuing downed team-mates, too, as it's even quicker at clearing the mob so you can help them up.

Awesome.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I love the new special infected! especially playing them. :) Jockey is my fav.

Here is the plugin to make that working in the demo: http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=282:play-as-infected-with-the-left-4-dead-2-demo&catid=2:news&Itemid=13