Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Delicious news !
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    The features sound the same as unreal editor 3 -.-

UT3 is in fact the same engine but from 2007 now you get a up to date build of the engine with all the new features
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Not only features, but bug fixes probably... But you know how this works, prepare for new ones.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    UT3, Gears of War 1 and 2 were all UE3 but it's an engine that's constantly being updated and the last publicly available version was the one with UT3 so this has a lot of new features not in UT3's build of the engine. You can also use this version of the engine to release your own standalone game that doesn't require UT3 or UDK to be installed.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't loaded it yet, but I imagine that UDK is a newer engine than UT3. UT3 build was only got updated a little in the latest patch.

edit: what Jordan said!
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they just punched Unity in the face.
    Now, because I'm too lazy to look it up, how does this work for coders?
  • kickzombies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickzombies polycounter lvl 17
    BRB, need to change pants.

I love epic.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, giving it a go now and the new features are awesome! :)

Huge thanks to the guys at Epic for this!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Well, they just punched Unity in the face.
    Now, because I'm too lazy to look it up, how does this work for coders?

it doesn't still "only" script support from what i see
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I load old .ut3's? I'm working on a map but the extension is now .UDK
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMagus I just changed it to open all files and it seemed to load up my old maps just fine
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    select all files. I noticed my scene looked different in the new editor though :)
    I assume this is because lights are handled in a new way.

oldnewunreal.jpg
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting changes either way : )
    I deleted the actual Unreal tourney game and unreal ed 3 this may be regarded as a stupid thing to do but it looks like it has all the features and more and its completley seperate, right?
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    Goddamn. This is exciting.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Haha, can't wait to try it out. Apparently so many people are downloading it right now my download speed stays at 30kb/s as opposed to 120kb/s 1 hour ago.

By the way Neox, are you considering switching to the UDK with your mod? Or would that be too much of a hassle?
    With UDK you would be able to reach a much wider audience and I would love to see your great work becoming even more recognized.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I can load up .ut3 maps alright but it doesn't find the packages. I can't load up packages in the content browser and when I try to load said .upk's from open it crashes :P
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Haha, can't wait to try it out. Apparently so many people are downloading it right now my download speed stays at 30kb/s as opposed to 120kb/s 1 hour ago.

It took me a solid hour and a half, but my connection's really bad.

Loving the content browser. Can't wait to play with Lightmass. Thanks, Epic!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMagus what I am doing is loading my packages first then loading up the map. It's working all fine on my end Vista 64bit if your wondering.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    With UDK you would be able to reach a much wider audience and I would love to see your great work becoming even more recognized.

we consider a lot of things right now, i guess we will have to evaluate what happens after MSUC

but its simple,
    i want to see if lightmass is easier to handle then our maya lightbake pipeline
    i want to have the new shadows that don't cast through everything
    i want to have custom shadercode
    i would like to try ssao, but i guess it won't work, but thats just a guess

it gives a lot of advanteges, but no custom code, lets the major issues stay we had so far, scripting is slow compare to code, and ends up in some issues we'd rather see coded and therefore removed ;)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, okay, well I'm still running 32 winxp sp3 ;P Will try loading packs first.
    Still an error - i'm actually trying to open it from regular open -.-
    I would use the content browser but it's actually more complicated now ;P
    EDIT -Curious, what can you load in the browser? I can only load some unreal tourney related stuff but somone said you can load models from GoW, batman ect.

EDIT - Problem solved
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It took me a solid hour and a half, but my connection's really bad.

Loving the content browser. Can't wait to play with Lightmass. Thanks, Epic!

Same here, my uni apparently considers 2meg connection to be "incredibly fast". I've got about 10 minutes left, so I will try to play around with it.

By the way, does the editor include any content? I assume it does as the download size is quite big. I would love to hop into it quickly and play around with pre-made content.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff! I've already updated my UC in U3 as well. :)
  • Pankake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    i would like to try ssao, but i guess it won't work, but thats just a guess

I just had a quick go, works fine.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox:

Nice to hear that you are considering it.
    I am not sure if I follow you about the code, as I don't have much experience with UE3. Do you mean UDK does not include the sourcecode and you would be forced to use its scripting language instead? What kind of differences would that make between your current build and UDK one? Sorry for these silly questions, but I have never went too far with UE3.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It comes with example maps : )
    Thats all I've seen so far premade wise.
    I don't think it comes with all the unreal tourney guns because command "Allweapons" didn't work.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    @teandcigarettes to use udk wont make any difference at all, we can do some nice additional stuff with it, but you can only go as far as scripting allows you doing stuff which is somewhat limited and slow in some cases. so well see how we go on :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    great stuff. my copy of gears of war is a bit scratched so i can't install it. This is a great replacement.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    glib wrote: ยป
    Wow. That's awesome. I wants teh lightmass (no longer calling it beast?).

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/beast

Lightmass and Beast are two separate things, Lightmass is our solution, Beast is an integrated partner, similar to speed tree, scaleform, and others (link).

go to town guys!!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, so the liscencing for this UDK release DOES provide an option for commercial development. Asking for a percentage was pretty shrewd of Epic. If someone makes a small indie game, and that game ends up being huge popular, they will be able to rake in fat money. Before they would have been earning between $5,000 - $10,000, for the two to three liscences a small team would need. Now they give the tools away for free initially, and rake in a quarter of overall sales exceeding $5000. If a small team hits it big and scores a million dollars off of their game, Epic will be raking in $250,000, instead of the paltry $10,000 they would have made otherwise.

Very clever. It will further encourage small developers to adopt the Unreal 3 engine, while opening an additional revenue stream for Epic. They risk almost nothing, and the potential for fat loot still exists.

I believe that this release does NOT include the source code, and instead focuses on modding and scripting. For low-level code monkeys, this will be a dissapointment. But I believe that quite a bit can be done with the UE3 scripting system, including changing up the gameplay. So it should still be possible to develop non-FPS games with this.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Quick 4 minute download and away i went. Running quite well and checking out what is has to offer.

I particularly like the content brower. Much more cleaner and easy to use compared to the generic browser. Im gonna dust off a few WIP and give it a go. Kudos to Epic
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    This is so awesome, I cant wait to dive in! BTW, it works great for me in Win7 64-bit
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    this is quite awesome news and a great move by epic.
    oh and yes, Richard no engine sources and alike, as expected. Which means it's use is along the lines of many "user oriented" engine/editor toolkits that provide bindings to a script language (or c#...) and no internal sources. But one gets quite a big battle proven toolkit hehe...
    And I agree with your "may end up scoring big time" opinion. The more users, the more likely a few of them will manage to do great.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    My team is using this for a new title in development. Really awesome engine, Lightmass, SpeedTree and the new layouts are just amazing. Shame we dont have enough people to generate the amount of content we need ^^

Sorry for offtopic but what project are you working on? Recently have been looking for a mod or indy project to work on and gain the experience.

Will download as soon as get a stable broadband. Haven't played much with the U3 editor (except watching 3dbuzz tutorials and playing with the interface, generic browser) but will definitely create some environments in it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin, hey, I'm an environment artist on crystal core team (Me, Skullburn and a couple other guys) we are currently looking for a concept artist, character artist, level designer and marketing/video editor.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Holy shit this is Awesome!

Great news for the industry, and I can't wait to see what all the "little guys" in the industry do with this.

Secondly, this is going to be the best looking Unearthly Challenge ever.

Thirdly, it's going to be tons of fun checkin' this sucker out!

*#(&$, have school today...

P.S. here's the forums if anyone plans on asking as many questions as I do:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=366
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Epic, love you :)
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm loving the lighting system :D. 1 minute set up.UDK.png
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    before everyone cums in their pants..

what platforms does this thing publish on, and how easy is it to publish on those different platforms? does it have 1 click deployment to the different platforms, or do you have to re-build your shit to get it running on a different system? I'm assuming that this runs on xbox and ps3 -- but it doesn't mention it.

25% is a lot of money. a fucking lot. Richard Kain is right.

I'm interested in comparing this to unity3d, which is a much better deal financially, and will run in your web browser should you want that. unreal 3 is certainly more powerful.. buuuutttt is an indie team generally going to use that power difference, for the extra money?

it sure will be nice to have access to their awesome renderer though.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool beans, I wonder if Crytek will do something similar with CE3 at some point in the future. :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I had a look around to see if I could find info, but no luck. I was wondering how much (if any) concent comes with it? ie. textures, materials, objects etc.

Just curious.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18

Will my UDK program run on Mac, iPhone, PS3 or Xbox 360?
    As of right now, UDK is a Windows-only program. Please see our licensing page if you would like to discuss using UDK for cross-platform use.

If you have any questions about licensing UDK or require custom license terms, source code licenses, or use on consoles please email udklicensing@epicgames.com for more information.

I'll email em.

honestly tho, windows stand-alone.... that's it? dunno about that man. dunnooo..
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't seem to open SpeedTree Modeler.
    Gives me an error. Does it happen to you guys also?
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    open DM-Sanctuary in the editor looks fracking amazing with the new lighting. Getting familiar with the new content browser work flow. Spending some quality time tonight in cascade to see whats new :D
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    at the very least its nice to have an updated version of the tools. After using beast on AO2, going back to the old way of doing lighting at home was kinda lame-o, lightmass should be similar and just as wicked from what i hear.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome! Thanks Epic! I can't seem to get post process to work at all. SSAO works fine but everything else in the post process settings is broken. Anyone else having the same issue?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    must...study...differential equations...must not..get kicked out of university...aaahh...it's..so difficult to resist...just gonna check this out for half an hour and study afterwards...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well I managed to leave my Programmer speechless when I pointed this out. Anybody have any idea what the limitations of the scripting language are? I mean at what point does what one want to accomplish fall outside of what the installed scripting will allow?

Also, does UED have an option to publish to opengl? I thought the PS3 was using it or at least not using DX based. So I would have assumed somewhere buried in all this there is alternative rendering? Is OpenGl at least available in the full license? Does the full license allow compilation of Linux and OSX as well (bleh consoles).

Also, say we build the basic game outline in UEd, than buy one regular fill commercial license for the programmer. So we send all final assets to him for compiling. Is that illegal? I mean, there is per seat they mention. But cant we artists just use the UED and he has the full version?