frontsidet34.jpg
t34side.jpg
wip1.jpg
wipt34.jpg

Replies

• dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    the model looks somewhat inconsistent. you have jaggies on the front of the turret, yet very high detail wheels.
    make the detail level more uniform, and this'll start looking pretty good.
  • dv8ix
    Dude this is Excellent Work! Love the model. Wish i could see a low poly. Something like under thousand?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Dejawolf beat me to it. The upper half still seems very faceted. Most noticeably on the turret and the cylinders on the side. Smooth that out and maybe add some more detail to balance it out against the lower half and you should be set.

Nice work :)
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    The proportions look strange, almost as if the tank was squashed; this is especially apparent in the turret and the driver's hatch. ref pic 1 The track links are also wrong; you skipped a track link hinge where the treads bend around the wheel/sprocket. ref pic 2 Many of the details look enlarged or blown-up, as if you were looking at a toy or model kit for reference when modeling it.
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Tanks for the crits and advise i did do it whit blueprints maybe its the angle of the pic that make it look sqashed? i did take care of the jagiies and i also did look at model kit for ref so i guess its a lesson learned...

The current poly count is 10 800 poly will post a screen later tonight
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yeh, definitely looks squashed too. you need to make sure the reference planes aren't stretched or something.
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    found the squash bug rendering in Ntsc d-1 720 x 486 and its squashing the rendered pic...

i dunno why the teacher wants to render whit those settings the squash result is stunning
    Squashed
    squash.jpg
    Unsquashed
    unsquash.jpg

Thanks to point that out... i got worried
  • dv8ix
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

sorry it took me awhile to do the uvws and other stuff here is my texture first pass i worked on the base metal of the frame and the tracks...

i suck at texturing so any tip or crit are always welcome!

T34Twip.jpg
    Wip2.jpg
    wip3.jpg
    wip4.jpg
    wip5.jpg

also i plan on putting it in a snow scene hence the wite tracks
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Having trouble putting snow on my wheels but here it is anyway almost done for the wheels and track

wipsnow.jpg

Anyone know good tutorial for that?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you showed us a pic of what look you were going for, it'd help..
  • helldiver
    Why don't you render un-squashed and then crop the pic in photoshop to 720 x 486?
  • joe gracey
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
  • dv8ix
    haha! Sweet. Its gunna be pretty Nice when the textures come together
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    texture update kinda going for a paint chipped tank...

bod1.jpg
    bod2.jpg
    bod3.jpg
    bod4.jpg
  • dv8ix
    Paint Chip look is looking Good ! you know where the pipe exhusts out the back of the tank? Maybe you can add some Black, smoke rusted on the metal where the exhust pipe ends
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks yeah i had details on the pipes and body i will finish the turret and post the update after a pass of crazy bump and specular and then i guess it will be done
  • waldo
    Try adding some variation to the green base color you are using. A slight lighter green color in big areas and darker green in corners. These bad boys will probably see a lot of sun and therefore the paint would probably get "washed out" in some places. At the end of the barrel there would probably be some black dust after firing.

And maybe try to break some stuff out and make them a different color than green, I know, most tanks are just one colored but you can show the detail more if you break some of them out, maybe make them black.

Also, render a Ambient Occlussion and multiply it over your texture (in case the game engine doesn't use calculated ambient occlussion or a own map for ambient occlussion that gets added in the engine). XNormal can bake Ambient Occlussion real good.
  • dv8ix
    downarmy wrote: »
    thanks yeah i had details on the pipes and body i will finish the turret and post the update after a pass of crazy bump and specular and then i guess it will be done

Sweet deal
  • ArYeS
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Those things on front of a tank are additional track segments. They put them there so they serve as additional armor aswell. You really should texture them like the segments on tracks.

Otherwise I really like it, keep up updating it and its gonna be awesome!
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    update

yeah i know what they are i just didn't have time to do them yet and i didn't start on the fuel tank too

T34stalintank.jpg

stalin4.jpg

t34stalin2.jpg

t34stalin3.jpg
  • dv8ix
    This is looking Really Great. Love how the Smoke stains are embedded. I can Definently imagine seeing the smoke coming out of the exhuasts.
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    update here is some early render off the whole scene...

rendumalade2.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    still the turret looks kinda squashed to me :P though the rest of the tank seems in proportion.

Your snow layer is too dense on the turret and hull. Looks like it is painted with cream. It would not stay there due to tank movement, temperature (especially around the engine) and angle of armor. Snow should also have less uniform thickness.

Btw, bump/normal of that fachtwerk house wall in inverted ;)
  • dv8ix
    Ice Cream tank' xD..
    i persoanlly like the turret. dont look squish'ed to me-
    Matroskin wrote: »
    still the turret looks kinda squashed to me :P though the rest of the tank seems in proportion.

Your snow layer is too dense on the turret and hull. Looks like it is painted with cream. It would not stay there due to tank movement, temperature (especially around the engine) and angle of armor. Snow should also have less uniform thickness.

Btw, bump/normal of that fachtwerk house wall in inverted ;)
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    dv8ix wrote: »
    Ice Cream tank' xD..
    i persoanlly like the turret. dont look squish'ed to me-

yep, i guess u r right.
    I forgot about this version of t-34. Just feels slightly low, but very little, so if it actually fits the blueprint, then it is fine :)
    I was thinking of t-34/85 with higher turret :P
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for the comment, i am having problems getting the snow right on the tank as it is there is too much and i think my best bet is handpainting or a mask...

any idea?
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    mask.

Basically, u just can make snow layer that covers all your texture. Then create a quick mask in PS and make it black. This way "by default" the snow layer is transparent. And where u will be painting white or gray in the mask u'll get the snow to appear.

I personally would simply make winter camo, but if u want to keep some kind of unexpected late autumn snow over green camo u'll need to paint the mask for it.

Btw, what u can do to speed this up is to use vertex color. U can take your hi-res (or even low-res, depends if low-res vertexes will be enough) and simply paint b&w mask with vertex color. Then, u can assign vertex color to Diffuse and bake that Diffuse to your low-res mesh's UV layout.
    That will be a rough mask ready to use in PS for your snow. U'll just need to refine it.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Matroskin wrote: »

I personally would simply make winter camo,

I agree with this.

I'm not sure what the back story is to your scene, but that much snow would never accumulate on a tank that is constantly mobile. Unless it's been knocked out or abandoned; and in that case you would want to model a damaged/destroyed version of the tank.

I think a better solution would be to do a whitewashed version of the tank, and you can still preserve the effect you are attempting to achieve in the composition:

ussrt34line.jpg

T-34_model_41_48-pintura.jpg

Also, maybe try to use a more Eastern European looking architecture in the scene? That version of the T-34 wasn't that common later in the war; mainly T-34/85's served in the battles in Germany. And by the time the Red Army was advancing into German territory, winter was coming to a close, so not sure how much snow cover would be apparent; looking at photos from the Battle of Berlin, there is no snow at all.
  • cloakingturtle
    I like your scene, its pretty good:P
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    I will do a new layer mask in PS

i try to play around whit a masked shader but it really didn't do the details i was looking for...

Yeah i know my scene is not quit accurate whit a some German building and a t-34 in the snow but o well, cant change them now my deadline is the 18

hopefuly i will be updating in a day or 2
  • downarmy
    Offline / Send Message
    I uploaded an animation test the gama is off on the whole scene and for some reason its missing 10 seconde at the begining and at the very end...

Crits are always welcome

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGm7MPrHJ_k[/ame]