Home General Discussion

ISP International Copyright Treaty. We get screwed.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/03/secret-copyright-tre.html
The internet chapter of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, a secret copyright treaty whose text Obama's administration refused to disclose due to "national security" concerns, has leaked. It's bad. It says:

* * That ISPs have to proactively police copyright on user-contributed material. This means that it will be impossible to run a service like Flickr or YouTube or Blogger, since hiring enough lawyers to ensure that the mountain of material uploaded every second isn't infringing will exceed any hope of profitability.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    no way that's going to go down
  • Sean VanGorder
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    not a big loss! lol
    I mean do we really need to have the latest Shakira music video in HD on Youtube? I wouldnt mind if copyrighted music video material was all uploaded by the owners for free viewing at good quality. (i mean no one buys music videos anyways). As for feature length movies I'd rather Netflix-stream something for a small fee rather than clicking through 15 split parts for free on youtube. But it would have to work internationnally ... and that's where it all breaks lol
    Only concern would be for classic gems that cannot be found anywhere. Maybe there should be a special case for that?
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i dont think thats gonna happen.. thats a bit too big for anyone to call nowadays
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? And wasn't the internet made for the public sharing of information without restrictions?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly wouldnt mind if internet video channels were filled with interesting topics of discussion/free university lecture, and vimeo quality stuff (where everything you upload has to be your own otherwise it's taken down), instead of the massive amount of Twilight clips montages over copyrighted emo music.

I mean not everything should be copy-pasted, copyright is copyright, right?

If one day stuff like Netflix streaming ends up covering much more than what it does right now .... I'd use it over pirated torrents, anytime.

Problem is we are nowhere close to that so this text is a bit silly...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    pior wrote: »
    I honestly wouldnt mind if internet video channels were filled with interesting topics of discussions/free university lectures, and vimeo quality stuff (where everything you upload has to be your own otherwise it's taken down), instead of the massive amount of Twilight clips montages over copyrighted emo music.

I'd pay for a site like that.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    not a big loss! lol
    I mean do we really need to have the latest Shakira music video in HD on Youtube? I wouldnt mind if copyrighted music video material was all uploaded by the owners for free viewing at good quality. (i mean no one buys music videos anyways). As for feature length movies I'd rather Netflix-stream something for a small fee rather than clicking through 15 split parts for free on youtube. But it would have to work internationnally ... and that's where it all breaks lol
    Only concern would be for classic gems that cannot be found anywhere. Maybe there should be a special case for that?

To freedom of speech it is. Say I find something that needs to become public. I post it, and the original company who doesn't want it to be seen claims copyright. (Probably Song of the South would fit this bill somewhat). More scary, say I have something up that is not actually owned by the company claiming such. The video would be removed immediately without any proof needed to be given.

As stated, in example flicr would be unsustainable with legality. This would literally kill the openness of the internet. It would be become a corporate media outlet where things are fed to us, versus one another.

This clearly smacks against net neutrality.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ZacD - What about TED?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Wouldn't this render the internet completely unusable?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean yeah Oxy I totally agree with everything you stated. That's why this text will never work. My point is more about 99% of the useless internet 'noise' around there, that I would really dont mind seeing disappear IF better alternatives are proven to be working.

If you find something that needs to be public, and that you want to talk about openly ... I don't think anything would prevent you from doing so even if that new ISP thing was enforced? One can talk about something without posting the actual material. And if you 'find something' thats not public and post it to denounce it ... well you are breaking privacy anyways ... so I guess you should be ready to take full responsibility for this action, right?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, let's say that this actually does make it to become actual legislation. How would the technology and infrastructure of something like this even work? How would 'they', whether ISP's or some dedicated authority, even track the amounts of data being transferred across the net? What about legal measures to dispute the alleged copyright infringement? Or would such legal rights be removed altogether? Sounds suspiciously like the evil machinations of The Corporations, but we've seen little more than grand ideas and governmental grandstanding at this stage.

Sure, it'd be easy to isolate copyrighted material on sites like YouTube, but that doesn't mean that every site would be so easy to police. Surely 'they' would need the equivalent technological muscle of someone like Google to make this happen? Personally, I think Google would be more than compliant with something like this for the sake of profits (remember 'don't be evil', anyone?), but still....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I like how it would ruin sites like Youtube and Obama hosted every speech, vid and debate he did on youtube
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    stop uploading Edward Cullen/Robert Pattinson fan vids PIOR!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But he's so cute!
    C'mon!

[edit]
    WAIT Kristen Stewart ... is that the girl from panic room??? I remember thinking she would grow up pretty eventually, back then.

Maybe I should do a fanvid or two HA!