Home General Discussion

Dangers of using aluminum bats. Another fucked up court case.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
http://www.wlky.com/cnn-news/21467637/detail.html

The panel ruled in favor of a family who sued the company for not warning users about the dangers of using aluminum bats.

The verdict means Hillerich and Bradsby is on the hook for $850,000. The company said it's not sure what it means beyond that because the jury also decided there was nothing wrong with the product.

I'm gonna go to america and sue everything. Hay , putting a fork in my eye made me blind and not able to do my work properly, WARNING LABEL NEEDED!

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok uhm...
    so, this brandon guy threw a pitch, some batter hit the ball with an alluminum bat, and the ball hit brandon on the head so hard it killed him?
    so it's the bats fault?

if he had used a wooden bat it would've phased through him like a ghost?

what exactly are the odds of hitting the pitching in the head in the first place?

I'm not going to generalize the stupidity of the american people when it comes to lawsuits because i'm sure it would have been the same in most of the "western" world, but when are the aliens gonna come and wipe us out already???
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    The panel ruled in favor of a family who sued the company for not warning users about the dangers of using aluminum bats.The verdict means Hillerich and Bradsby is on the hook for $850,000. The company said it's not sure what it means beyond that because the jury also decided there was nothing wrong with the product.
    In other news, scientists prove huge majority of public ignorant, contradictory and possibly ridiculous. I don't think the jury knows what it means, either.
    “We came into this not knowing. We were just hoping to prevail for Brandon. This is for Brandon and for the other kids on the field,” said his mother Deb Patch.
    Not knowing what, exactly? That solid objects like baseballs, when traveling at speeds of upwards of eighty miles an hour, can be dangerous if said object collides with someone's head? I feel bad for her that she lost her son, but she says this like they're playing ball in Basra, using landmines as bases.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they toook maa jaaawb
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    they toook maa jaaawb
    Der dik daa duuuuurr!!!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    There is some truth to the fact that aluminum bats are more dangerous than wooden ones but if anything it should be the league that they sued for continuing to use something known to have been fatal in similar incidents previously. That I might be able to understand. I mean for fuck sakes, its a baseball bat its OBVIOUSLY dangerous. Its been one of my favorite melee weapons in FPS games for ages...... Do you need warnings on knives? How about a sword or oohhh a gun.

Not taking anything away from the family for there loss but if you are so quick to profit from the death of your own child then there is something wrong with you. If your child dies, you greave. And ScudzAlmighty, the rest of the western world is nothing like that. Possibly the UK to a smaller extent but otherwise its an American cultural thing. Its nothing to bash or be ashamed of other countries have their own quirks.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    It's obviously the balls' fault. It's not like the bat hit him in the head.

Make baseballs out of marshmellows - Being hit in the head with a giant marshmellow would probably be ace.

Next!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    and here I was thinking air friction was at fault for not slowing down the ball. /shrug
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    It's obviously the balls' fault. It's not like the bat hit him in the head.

Make baseballs out of marshmellows - Being hit in the head with a giant marshmellow would probably be ace.

Next!

That was my thought. How are they not suing the baseball manufacturers instead. Or whoever decided to use hard balls rather than soft ones.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Why not sue the helmet company for not being on the kids head when he was pitching?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhh this debate again. It's been going on for years about how dangerous aluminum is over wood.

I have used both wood and metal on various levels of play from high school to collegiate and semi pro and I prefer wood.

Being a third baseman in an aluminum league is one of the craziest places on the field. I have had balls hit at me so hard that I hardly had time to even get up out of my stance and make an attempt on the ball.

Baseball can be a dangerous sport. Even a hitter can be killed by a wild pitch when guys are throwing 90+ mph.

BUT people need to understand that wooden bats can be just as dangerous. Broken bats as well as hard hit balls. I had a good friends career cut short because of a broken bat that hit him while he was in the on deck circle. It came at him so fast he didn't have time to move and ended up damaging his eye and creating a pretty nasty scar on his face.

It's tragic and I feel sorry for this families loss but you can't put blame on the bat. Why not the ball? Hitter? League? Coach? Field? School?

Personally I think colleges should switch to wood. It is one of the main reasons so many players get drafted and stay in the minors for so long because they can't hit with wood or don't have that same power they had with the metal bats.

Tony Gwynn coach of San Diego State makes his team hit with wood and so did my coach in college. It makes you a better hitter in the end because you choose your pitches and you learn to make better contact.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    We're doing this for Brandon...now, where's my stack of 100's? I need to wipe my ass.

I don't see how this is the bats fault, it should totally be the league's fault for using aluminum bats - weak. I know you can't use them in the major leagues, but isn't aluminum bats standard for lower leagues?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    so according to what you're saying jesse, i gues if he got killed by a broken bat there would be an outcry against wood.. hah
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah pretty much rooster. It is a sad thing and an accident. Putting blame on the bat isn't the bat manufacturers fault.

So many people always want to put blame on things when accidents and tragedies happen. Person shoots up school. Lets sue the gun makers and musicians the kids listened to. WHAT? NO!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Jesse? Sue the musicians? You're clearly not paying enough attention. It's our fault. At least over here in europe.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    BONK

PLAY BALL
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sue the guy that threw the ball in the first place!

Oh...wait...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Racer445 wrote: »
    BONK

PLAY BALL
    Clearly they should have sued Valve.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    What makes this ruling even more spectacularly ridiculous is the jury's decision that yes, the family deserves compensation (largely based on loss of earnings?), but also that the product is not faulty. How can both decisions be valid in the context of the same ruling without being completely contradictory? And who pays the $850,000? The bat manufacturer?

What a farce.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing to note is that while this kid lost his life and his family has to live with that what about the kid that actually hit the ball? He has to live with that for the rest of his life. Don't they understand that him hitting that ball may have caused some kind of trauma but nothing gets reported on that.

Deaths in sports is not uncommon. There is a certain risk that you know clearly and you sign a waiver when you play because you know the risks. I knew everytime I put on my football pads or my baseball uniform that there was a risk I was taking.

We can't put blame on everything when there is an accident like this. It's just ridiculous and we don't need warning labels on everything. Oh look a cliff. I'm gonna jump off because there isn't a warning label to tell me not to. Seriously?

Like I stated earlier. I feel sorry for the family but I don't think Louisville Slugger is responsible.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Jesse? Sue the musicians? You're clearly not paying enough attention. It's our fault. At least over here in europe.

whoa whoa, there exist another mass of land outside america?? i call bullshit.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    america is a land mass not a country?? I call bullshit.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I bloodied my brother's nose with a whiffle ball hit from a plastic bat when we were kids... who can I sue?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I once tossed a slammer pog so hard at one of my friends, it broke both of his legs...WHO IS RESPONSIBLE!?
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    Gav wrote: »
    I once tossed a slammer pog so hard at one of my friends, it broke both of his legs...WHO IS RESPONSIBLE!?

Faulty leg manufacturing obviously.......sue his parents, or better yet GOD!!!!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i was twelve my neighbors kid threw a folding lawn chair at me and when it hit me in the head it unfolded. and after hte hurting stopped it wasn't awesome at all so i should sue the company that made the springs in the chair right?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    And its so clearly the groundskeepers fault, because i bet if they had thought to check the pitching mound theyd see it was an inch too high, and that inch could have turned the fatal blow into more of a glancing blow.

Unfortunate for sure, but 850 K? where do people get these numbers ? why not 1.22 mil ? or 150k ? and this money has to come from somewhere.... All of us are already having a hard time enough economy-wise without folks like this demanding xyz sums to ease their greiving process ??

Angry haz is angry!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    sue the manufacturer of the kid's head
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sue the manufacturer of the kid's head
    man_o_mule wrote: »
    Faulty leg manufacturing obviously.......sue his parents, or better yet GOD!!!!

STEEEEEEEEE-RIKE!
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the parents made a deal with the jury to split the dollars if they give the ''right'' verdict.....

I don't know why they stopped at suing the bat makers...with the same logic they could sue everyone and everything in the univers/es.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Americans.. pish.. this is what you get for playing cricket *your* way!

I vote for suing the god particle, at least that may be proven to exist soon enough (unless it *is* sabotaging itself from the future as the newspapers would have us believe)
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    wouldn't it make more sense to sue the baseball manufacturer, i mean if it wasn't so easy to hit a baseball in the first place the kid would've probably threw a strike and not have been hit at all. no to mention how hard those things are.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nonono. sue the inventor of the game, David Baseball.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    eh, why not draw a steel wire through the wooden bat? if it cracks, at least you won't have the damn thing flying through the air.
  • rooster
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Great photo rooster.

The trouble with being judged by a jury of your peers is that it assumes your peers have an ounce of common sense. The bat company should have protested that the jury consisted of too many humans, and too few rational robots.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big piles of cash don't just fall out of the sky when ever someone dies, someone has to pay, duh... Notice the ball company isn't being sued, that's because the company logo wears off with use, smart thinkin ball company.

pujolsstep3.jpg

When the 3 people you're pitching toward all have protective head gear maybe you should assume there is some kind of risk to your head while playing said sport...

Obviously the guy wasn't that great of a pitcher, the guy got a hit... /rimshot
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The trouble with being judged by a jury of your peers is that it assumes your peers have an ounce of common sense. The bat company should have protested that the jury consisted of too many humans, and too few rational robots.

Or too few aluminum bats.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    hmm, when I was in the last year at high school my friend and I were horsing around and he threw a wooden board rubber at my head, it cracked my skull slightly. Had to go to hospital to have it glued:poly105: I could have died but did anyone get sued? Did they hell and that wasn't even an accident!

It's alarming that when anything goes wrong people get sued more and more these days. So if this is the law if you use a public phone and end up getting an ear infection could you could sue the phone company?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what are you doing with the phone that it's giving you infections???
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Haven't you heard of phone sex? (yuk yuk yuk)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just saw a segment on ESPN about this whole story.

I'm very sorry about the kid dying, but everything else about the situation is infuriating.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    roosters pic wins, the dude at the top smiling and the woman eating popcorn like nothing happened = awesome :p
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Americans.. pish.. this is what you get for playing cricket *your* way!

kat - if they played it 'your' way the'yd be trying to hit balls rolling across the ground :P
  • MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    guys, settle down, you're getting way off track here, the point is
    Lamont wrote: »
    Der dik daa duuuuurr!!!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw fuck.. this is just so retarded.. holy shit people..... LEARN TO DEAL WITH YOUR OWN STUPIDITY!!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    This reminds me of time I got pwned while I was pitching, This guy at highschool was a big shot so I was like "Yo, ill pitch fluck waiting for the coach". So I threw him a nice lully underhanded throw and he cranks it right back to my genitals, being a kid (stupid kid) i had no glove so i took it like a "man" and got pwned....

Went down hard then recovered, it hit my inner thigh and a little bit of the shaft/balls so not that bad. Good thing he was using a wooden bat, eh?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    being a kid (stupid kid) i had no glove so i took it like a "man" and got pwned....
    Yeah that kid was a total wussbag he should have just walked it off. Who can't shrug off a little death? What a pussy! Real men rub some dirt on it and keep going.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    rooster wrote: »
    america is a land mass not a country?? I call bullshit.

Yes! there exist a fence to the south, and a red hat to the north. Beyond that the world falls off O_O
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur tik tehr duhr!