Home General Discussion

I need 3 more credit hours at my community college?!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Well I need to be a full time student for health insurance and other reasons, and my college's animation/cg classes aren't too great.

Already taking Sculpture 2, Life Drawing, and Drawing 2, and need 3 more hours... any suggestions? There really isn't anything else art related left besides cermaics and 2D design.

Replies

• Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Some sort of art history,architecture or world culture study type class? The few classes I've taken like that, I've found the info I picked-up really useful.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    Well I need to be a full time student for health insurance and other reasons, and my college's animation/cg classes aren't too great.

Already taking Sculpture 2, Life Drawing, and Drawing 2, and need 3 more hours... any suggestions? There really isn't anything else art related left besides cermaics and 2D design.

Does that mean you're already taking the classes that aren't that great? If not, take one, ace the class and keep your insurance. If you are already taking them, what is their 2D design syllabus like?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    yeah if the offer art history, take it... architecture would be the most useful... and was my personal fav next to photography... never hurts to have that pure knowledge under your belt, and you'll also see a ton of stuff you probably had no idea existed that you may get inspired to go and model
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    You could always take something that isn't directly art-related but serves to make you a more well-rounded person. Writing, history, philosophy, psychology, etc...
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not sure how intensive the classes at your school are, but 3 studio art classes is going to be a pretty huge time investment if you want to produce anything that's decent. I would suggest taking something else that you are interested in, but also that won't be too difficult, because most of your spare/schoolwork time is going to need to be devoted to those art projects.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CPR and first aid...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Take a programming class. The credits for programming are more likely to transfer than any art class. And if you are wanting to work in games, it can't hurt to have a little programming under your belt. I'd suggest C#.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Take a public speaking class, a simple mathematics class, an interpersonal communications class, a physical education class to get some planned exercise. There are a lot of things you can take not directly related to art that will help you immensely in any job and will broaden your abilities.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    danshewan wrote: »
    Does that mean you're already taking the classes that aren't that great? If not, take one, ace the class and keep your insurance. If you are already taking them, what is their 2D design syllabus like?

I think I have to enroll in the program to take those classes, and any intro class isn't going to be much fun, aka, this is how you draw in 2pt perspective. There was an asset class, but there's 3 prereqs
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I think I have to enroll in the program to take those classes, and any intro class isn't going to be much fun, aka, this is how you draw in 2pt perspective. There was an asset class, but there's 3 prereqs

Maybe not fun, but it is still practice!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ceramics and 2d design sound like good ideas, both of which are applicable to digital art, probably moreso than sculpture. having good design skills is not something many have, its good to learn more about that stuff and hone those skills.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of all the suggestions, I'd opt for architectural history (or equivalent), then ceramics and then 2D design, though doing something outside of art will probably go a long way towards maintaining some kind of balance.

I don't know man, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Choose something useful that you can get your teeth into and that will benefit you later.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I'm with bearkub, take something not art related. You'll be glad you did.

Fencing, public speaking, culinary arts, etc.

Oh, but don't make the mistake my wife did. She signed up for Astronomy thinking she would get to study the stars, use telescopes, etc. Intead she wound up doing tons of space physics calculations, and they never once used a telescope.
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree with 8ftSpider and bearkub! I would personally suggest a speaking class. I can't believe how beneficial my class was, I will be giving a presentation to around 150 people in a week or two and I am actually looking forward to it! haha I would try to meet the teacher of the class you are interested in. Ultimately, your experience will depend on the teacher!

Best of luck to you on your descision!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    something film studies related would be my pick
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Do they do archaeology where you're at? I studied it on my year abroad in university, mediterranean archaeology, very interesting and we got field trips to sites all over the place. Doing fieldwork and collecting samples in the countryside was a good experience. Like 8ftSpider and bearkub say, you could try some carpentry, or any work that is hands on, or sport, to get the mind working on something less personally involved to get freshness.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    rooster wrote: »
    something film studies related would be my pick

the closest I found was ENGL - Masterpieces of the Cinema, but it seems like its more writing based instead of having a cinematic and artist perspective.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    do you mean it's writing about cinematography, or the course is more focused on scriptwriting?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Students verify their judgments by summarizing and analyzing these important concepts, using discussions, and writing effective, well-organized essays in response to cinematic presentations and explanations.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Students verify their judgments by summarizing and analyzing these important concepts, using discussions, and writing effective, well-organized essays in response to cinematic presentations and explanations.

writing a thoughtful essay is a useful skill to have :) The class cannot, and should not have to have "an artists perspective." YOU are the artist's perspective, the class is just information and knowledge. Having to write papers shouldn't put you off of something you are interested or curious about.

The synopsis sounds like it would be a good class, you get to learn about film, talk about it, and express your artistic viewpoint based on the knowledge you learn in research and texts.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cinematography and mise-en-scene have some pretty useful paralells with environment art and characters
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Then wouldn't like a directing class be more useful... is there video classes like that? I know we have tv cameras and stuff but I can't find what those classes are called.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then wouldn't like a directing class be more useful... is there video classes like that? I know we have tv cameras and stuff but I can't find what those classes are called.

They'd probably fall under the title of video production broadly speaking. This kind of class would definitely be useful - I studied video production for four years back in college, and worked in broadcast graphics before I decided to focus my efforts in getting a job in games, and a lot of what I learned in video production still very much applies to games.

Saying that, a lot of what would be beneficial about an AV production class to your work in games is going to be theoretical so if you absolutely have to be producing art to feel like the class is worthwhile, you probably won't enjoy it.