Home General Discussion

l4d 2 demo! thoughts??

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
only played this singleplayer so.. I'm sure things will be a bit different.

first impressions were things seem all kind of chunkified.. I don't know if its the console influence or what, but massive menu, some of the guns are pretty huge onscreen (the magnum made me laugh actually..) and the general level feel seems sort of blocky. Maybe it's always been like that and we can just see it now hehe

love the new weapons, enemies and pickups. They all seem really well thought through, the defibulator is a great idea.

really like the new sniper rifle, feels a bit more flexible than the hunting in terms of reacting to near-mid distance zombz

some zombies leave a trail of guts behind them. lol! The new infected models are nice, and the old have been revamped.. the ass crack on the spitter is freaking disgusting

They've clearly cut down the number of closed off small rooms. Might make the gameplay back closer to how I played l4d initially. Nowadays its all 'oh horde. into the nearest box room and shoot at the doorway'. So I think it was a good decision, but it's gonna take some getting used to.

all in all.. jury's out till I get some 4 player going, but I'm feeling positive..

edit:
only thing I think I miss from l4d is the glass smash 'ptchhh' of the molo. seems to just be a kinda 'fwoomf' now. But the new body hurling effect pipe makes up for it

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    played through the multiplayer with a buddy beat the advanced round, was pretty fun the new spitter and the jockey and the charger were pretty awesome. Wonder why you can't play as all 8 characters. /shrug

the level seemed less linear which was nice, even though they fed you through the map it was nice to have a couple different objectives like turn off the siren, etc
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah the park was a nice way of getting you to one place but giving plenty of diverging routes.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    when is the demo going to be available to everyone?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    next week I believe
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ what he said, Nov 3rd.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Yea lovin the demo so far. The spitter is crazy, the charger is awesome. Noticed the special infected attacks are more coordinated, a jockey will lead its victim into the spitter goo which was really cool. The melee weapons are a lot of fun, especially the clank of the frying pan on the zombies' heads. This game certainly has more depth than the previous one; feels more complete and polished.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I dug it, it's still the left 4 dead we know and love, just more of it with enough new gameplay tweaks to literally everything to make it fresh. Love the melee weapons, the "pang" noise on the guitar made me lul.

One of the things that bothered me most about the first game is you never felt the urge to explore for some kick ass new item, it was always about taking the shortest, safest route, maybe grabbing pills or a new medkit. With all the new items and weapons hopefully we'll see at least a little more variety in how we try to win the game as surivivors.

The new infected honestly didn't add as much as i was hoping for. The charger i was hoping would be a little closer to the tank in toughness but he goes down rather easily. The jokey's reminiscent of the smoker and hunter in the single target stun catagory. The spitter plays just like the boomer, get in range and fire on a cluster of survivors, same old same old of super low health zombies who are one trick ponies. The tank is still really the only infected that plays truly unique from the others. But eh, that's just how left 4 dead is I guess. I really wish they'd jazz up the zombies a little bit and add more potent powerups for the survivors to search for to balance it out. But there i go being overly judgmental of a game that's only in demo form, haven't even played as the new zombies yet so take this with a grain of salt.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    played both the 360 and the pc versions. slight remodel of the old special infected (smoker looks amazing!). love the character design and the new zombie gibs. Nice additions to the zombies are the swat zombies with armor.
    the only thing i felt was a little off is the tier 2 assault rifle holds 60 rounds, which easily takes out a whole horde without a reload.
    -can't wait to get me some good ol version action!!@!@#!@#
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    when is the demo going to be available to everyone?

I was just thinking, does it really make sense to give people who pre-ordered advance access to the demo. Isn't the whole point of a demo to attract customers who are on the fence about buying it or not?

I'm sure I will pick it up eventually anyhow. The logic behind "pre-order and get early access to the demo" fails me though.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Just another incentive to buy the game early. Also they can make sure everything's going smoothly by the time people who are on the fence about it give it a go.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it's incentive to get people to pre order. why there's such a emphasis on pre ordering now days is beyond me. It worked for me though. I preordered both left 4 dead and TF2 when they did an exclusive demo for the orange box.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I demand screenshottage.

Needs to be payday, dammit.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    epic zombie slaying weapons for sure. Good characters to boot. Same l4d. Just more of it.:thumbup:
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I demand screenshottage.

Needs to be payday, dammit.
    How about video-age?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st segment. (right-click save as. 41MB mp4)
    2nd segment. (right-click save as. 40MB mp4)
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    need... to... work... dammit!
    haven't tryed it yet :\
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    How can you get the demo on 360 ? I have Gold, but it's a european account.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I was just thinking, does it really make sense to give people who pre-ordered advance access to the demo. Isn't the whole point of a demo to attract customers who are on the fence about buying it or not?

I'm sure I will pick it up eventually anyhow. The logic behind "pre-order and get early access to the demo" fails me though.
    You will still be able to try it before its out. You don´t miss out. This is just an extra treat for us that did pre-order. So no points been lost.

PS: "Exclusive" baseball bat, woo!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    how is the baseball bat going to work I wonder? I get the bat but someone elese sees the guitar? they can't pick up the baseball bat?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I thought it felt clunky too. Unpolished, almost. Zombies running at me backwards, opaque green goo from the spitter, misplaced sounds, sounds being played louder than they should, etc.

I'm really not a fan of the new music, either. Seems they're going away from the horror/mock-horror genre with it, and more into slapstick.

The new gore is great. Love seeing zombie intestines unravel! :D

I didn't get no baseball bat, either!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't remember how far off the L4D1 demo was from the actual play experience. IIRC, the first was quite a ways away from the proper game.

Female boomer, too!

I messed up with the boomer juice. I threw it at a wall to use it like a pipebomb, but apparently if you throw it at a zom/special, zombies go nuts and beat the shit out of it.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I'm really not a fan of the new music, either. Seems they're going away from the horror/mock-horror genre with it, and more into slapstick.

I LOVE the new music. Got a great southern feel to it. I like the twists on the old L4D music, for example the crescendo/horde intro bit is still the same, but played as a trumpet sound now.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and they tried adding a bit of zydeco flair to the music
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff, source looks better than ever. I see there using a lot more models now instead of those blocky brushes.

Literally spent 10 minutes listening to the different tracks on the Jukebox in the corner shop.

Like how they've randomized the weapons a lot more. The AK47 and Desert Eagle are a blast to play with.

Theres some neat touches like the boomer bile and defibrillator. The gore is a lot better than in the original as well.

Having some performance issues though, my fps goes from 180fps to 20fps after a level change.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    We got well and truly shafted.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7QCtuaXgI[/ame]
    Ironically this makes me more inclined to go out and beat someone to death with a frypan.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Damn that sucks! Heard they removed the Swat guys aswell because of there authoritative figure.

They should find a workaround for that as its messin with the gameplay.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I LOVE THE MACHETE!
    I also love the weapons. They FEEL powerful now. I don´t know. This feels more like a zombie survival game than the first one. Haven´t witnessed any bugs yet.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ark wrote: »
    Damn that sucks! Heard they removed the Swat guys aswell because of there authoritative figure.

They should find a workaround for that as its messin with the gameplay.
    If you fiddle about with the config files you can at least reactivate the gore in the single player campaign. With any luck, some bright spark will find a way to get it working in multi that won't result in people getting VAC banned.

I've heard that buying a US version from Steam will circumvent the censorship, but there are some conflicts when playing with players who're using the local version.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good pull on that vid Steve. I'll definitely hold off on buying this until I know of a sure way to get the game in all it's gory glory.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I realize that it is suppose to be a reward for pre-ordering, guys. It just seems to me like it would make more sense to find another way to reward those that pre-order and let everyone try out the demo. Unless this is actually suppose to be a beta test in which case, why not call it that :shrug:
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Those SWAT guys do take some beat down.

Love the boomer bile. I used it on a charger (he was the only thing hit by it) and he got chased away by about 30 infected hehe.

Machete rules too.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    to instant kill the swat guys you have to shove them away and shoot them in the back :D

melee is FUN too :) I love the non chapter cut safehouse too, and the gameplay for the alarm thing is pretty nice, quite excited to see what else they have in the campaigns :)

the magnum is GOOD !
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the magnum is good :) so good they hold it right up to their face :D
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the AI seemed much improved my buddy and I beat it on advanced last night with 2 characters AI, which they didn't die, gave us med kits and stayed alive and with us the whole time for the most part.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i reckon thats part AI, and part the level design changes.. they always got in the way or couldn't manage to twig what you were doing when you hid in cupboards and funneled the zombies through the door, so they just ran about in the open and presented a perfect target. Theres much less of that scenario in the demo levels
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Ironically this makes me more inclined to go out and beat someone to death with a frypan.
    Shafted? That's more like gang-raped in every hole. Hope you guys find a way to get the "real version".
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I played it the other day, and i uninstalled it after finishing the demo :P, there's no point to be playing the same boring map all the time, if at least the demo were not so short and had a versus mode...

It's Pretty the same, it feels like an expansion with different players and more kind of zombies, that's all. More of the same with some minor improvements, but what the heck!, it's a funny game.

My friends say: "we paid for an expansion", i think in the same way.

I miss zoey :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    rooster wrote: »
    i reckon thats part AI, and part the level design changes.. they always got in the way or couldn't manage to twig what you were doing when you hid in cupboards and funneled the zombies through the door, so they just ran about in the open and presented a perfect target. Theres much less of that scenario in the demo levels

That's good to hear, however they've sorted it out. Drove me crazy to be doing well on Expert until one of the scripted encounters (the room with the minigun turret in the Subway part of No Hope campaign always comes to mind), when the AI would flail around uselessly, or stand right in the middle of the room.
    I realize that it is suppose to be a reward for pre-ordering, guys. It just seems to me like it would make more sense to find another way to reward those that pre-order and let everyone try out the demo. Unless this is actually suppose to be a beta test in which case, why not call it that :shrug:

+ 1
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH7QCtuaXgI

Shafted!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh0zw6hvqew[/ame]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    New music rocks. New environment rocks. Daytime FTW. New zombies are awesome. New weapons ftw (and the pure variety of loadouts available to the player, wow). That was incredibly fun, even as a SP run. Really looking forward to the full game.

Side note, anyone have the game freeze up intermittently on audio cues? I had it happen quite often. Granted, this on my older work system.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Also, just watched that censored / uncensored video... wow... Time for a zombie raid on that censorship board's office.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    NOTE FOR AUSTRALIANS - word is that if you are gifted L4D2 from a country that doesn't have the censored version you don't get the censored version. can't confirm this but was playing online with a guy that CLAIMED this was true (got it gifted from NZ the bastard). Of course who knows how long that loophole will last.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not as good as I was expecting. It's certainly fun (as the original L4D is, since it's essentially more of the same) and the new special infected are awesome (jockey and charger look like they'll be a lot of fun to play in versus!).

The change in lighting/time of day is ... interesting. It certainly makes it feel more fresh than the dark maps of L4D but I dunno how well that fits the game.

The improvements they've done to the visuals of the zombies are great, looks really sharp and clear now. Also the new characters look good, although the gambler's arm in firstperson is horrible.
    Actually all the firstperson stuff looks a bit ... meh. The pistol and default shotgun have envmaps like crazy and look more like TF2 style weapons than L4D, totally doesn't fit the visuals IMO. The advanced weapons look better but they're still nothing special.

One thing I was really disappointed with were the voices - after the awesomeness of Louis, Francis, Bill and Zoey ... these new ones are really generic and boring. It's hard to distinguish the difference between the kid guy and the gambler, and the coach and other woman don't seem to say anything much interesting. The nice thing about the L4D voices was they were all really unique and had a lot of character, these new ones seem pretty bland and unenthusiastic by comparison.

Oh well, I'm sure versus will be a blast, L4D has been the game of choice for lunchtime play at work for the past 6 months, I'm sure L4D2 will get teh same treatment :)
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with everything you said MoP. The env maps on the guns annoyed the hell out of me, felt like I had a fake plastic gun, and the positioning of the guns in your view is quite off also.

Just didn't feel much out of this, even though I love the first. It feels like this one is made by a whole different team.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you know what suck the head means?
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    sicsided wrote: »
    Agree with everything you said MoP. The env maps on the guns annoyed the hell out of me, felt like I had a fake plastic gun, and the positioning of the guns in your view is quite off also.

Just didn't feel much out of this, even though I love the first. It feels like this one is made by a whole different team.

It is isn't it? The original was made by a group called turtle rock studios and was bought out or taken on by Valve wasn't it? and if I understand correctly valve made some minor adjustments and added polish and released. The original turtle rock version being even more dark/horror oriented with a more "realistic" style.

The way I look at L4D2 is pretty much Valve's take on the game, I get the feeling they wanted to do their own things with the franchise but didn't feel they could do it with the first so instead L4D2 came to pass. I remember a lot of the people I showed this to immediately said it looked like TF2 blended with L4D and looked a lot more corny and comical than the original game.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you're probably right. Wasn't sure if it was still the team that was bought out or not. Like its fun, but just seems like glaring issues that don't seem common for Valve games. But I guess its beta/demo anyways.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Blaizer wrote: »
    "we paid for an expansion"

dunno how I'd feel paying the full amount, but with the 4 pack I paid 20 quid which is about the price of an expansion pack. So it's all fine by me :)
    especially if the expansion has *more content than the original
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The £20 pricepoint for the 4 pack seems pretty decent, honestly.

Just played it for an hour with some friends. I'm really enjoying it, now..

Still have some greivances:
    • The Charger looks too much like the Tank
    • The Director isn't sneaky enough with spawning boomers and smokers (it used to spawn them in places with cover, and now you seem to run into them in the street like common infected, on every play)
    • A guitar as a fucking melee weapon?! This just seems so horribly cheesey to me and I cringe every time we get them spawned. Machete, baseball bat, etc fit really well, but a goddamn guitar? UGH.