Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Jeff Ball 2d Artist

Hello polycounters

http://www.polyjab.com

Getting my portfolio Re-assembled. Reworking alot of my stuff while learning how to use dreamweaver. Just want some feedback on my work and the site itself

Things in the works....

- Word and PDF links to my resume
- Actual Text for the resume page so you can copy paste it, instead of an image... again dreamweaver headaches! :poly127:
- Would like to have the top header load once for the user then everything else will load for the specific page. :poly142:

any useful tuts on dreamweaver would be awesome!

Other than that I want to keep it pretty simple. Least amount of clicks between my work. So I am pretty happy with the format right now.

I am trying to get into Concept art/UI art work since that is most my experience.

Thanks again!

Replies

• Killaball
    Hey jaball, Your friendly neighborhood killaball here!

I like how simple your website is one click and I'm looking at your art good points there.
    A few suggestions if I may, Concept artist and UI artist are way different jobs from each other... or at least they are here at my work.

If you want to go the more concept art route, have a whole page with examples of your anatomy art work, life drawing and skeletal drawings both with dynamic poses and nice natural poses. A lot of concept artist are in charge of not just characters/monsters but buildings landscapes weapons buildings and the likes. Put more examples of these things.

If you want to go more UI artist I can not stress this enough, show buttons! Lots and lots of buttons! Take a look at any MMO (world of warcraft for example) has hundreds of buttons look at them and make them better. A friend of mine asked a blizzard artist about this exact job and that is what he said.

With your website I saw when I clicked from portfolio and resume there was a shift of the header see if ya can fix that... it might seem small but people will see it.

Hope I was able to help a bit =D
  • jaball
    thank you for the reply killaball.

First thing... the shift from the folio page and the resume page is from my lack of dreamweaver experience.

Its like the first thing I noticed, it drives me nuts!!!! hence I havent actually sent this out to an employer yet since I think it looks sloppy.

Buttons eh? well that is helpful. To be honest I just got shoved into UI work... I ended up liking it but I really dont know what a UI artist folio would look like, so that is very helpful!

My long term goal is to be a concept artist. And I have Anatomy stuff to put up along with environments etc... However the concept artist seems to be a very highly coveted position along with ALOT of competition. So I am trying to take my talents and have a shotgun blast effect.

This would probably put me in the "indie" field rather than the big studios since I figure the indie guys have to wear alot more hats.

ah, and now im rambling... anyway, thanks for the tips and ill have another update soon!
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good, just like Killaball said, really simple=really good
    if you want a job in concept art, really show that you know anatomy, colors, and dynamic curves in poses. so far, the only piece that has a dynamic pose is the tree guy. and as far as color goes, you tend to stick to a limited palette ie:
    gold dragon is gold
    green ghoul is green
    blue insane is blue (with a tiny bit of red)

imo, the small amount of work makes it look as if that is all you have (hence, inexperienced) , maybe open another gallery within the site that doesn't receive as much attention, but shows your sketches and wips. maybe some random arm you have could land you a job.
    good luck