Home General Discussion

Modern Warfare 2

Replies

• Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    So... am I the only one that see's this as an over-hyped, over-priced game that isn't really that much different to the last one?

I think I'll pass until they come up with something more original.

*sigh*
    *shakes head*
    *swigs beer*

i've eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwiches since i was old enough to walk, and i've probably eaten enough of them to fill five billion dumpster trucks. i still eat them to this day, and they are absolutely delicious.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I feel like posting one of those facepalm images
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i'm looking forward to the reactions to COD 7: future warfare.
    its inevitable, as thats the way battlefield went too after their "modern warfare".
  • bounchfx
    COD:MW was one of the best FPS games...ever. so yeah, I have high expectations for this, and will be getting it promptly.

and deja; i've been dying for Infinity Ward to do a future one for a while. I'm sick of WW2.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
  • dolemite
    adam wrote: »
    1 - it looks vastly different from the original (no Afghan locations)
    2 - Much content than the original (MP here only as I don't know much about SP). More weapons, perks, character customization, etc.
    3 - How is being not much different from something that was arguably one of the better games to come out in the last couple of years a bad thing?

Not fanboying it up here, just posing some questions for you.

MoP - Ah, thanks man :D They should stop worrying about piracy (PC only) and worry about the end-user experience. Jacking the price up $10 for less end-user control is, in no way, something that'll deter people from pirating their game. Treat that aspect as Valve does and I am betting their fan loyalty will sky rocket.

Feels like a step backwards :(

at least this helps me narrow down which system to buy it on.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Simply based on IW's track record, I'm looking forward to this game as much as I would a Blizzard or Valve release.

:D
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    as an admin of a COD clan community, i see the challenges that this will face us.... those of us who rely on dedicated... are a bit nervous with this new system.. what it means for maintaining a functioning community...

but on the same note, i am kind of interested to see how this new system will pan out...

as an artist and fan of the mod community.. i am devasted by the lack of concern for such a creative front... how many mods turn AAA have come from such communites.. I hope that IW opens up on this a bit before all is sed and done...

would hate to see COD go the way of MOH...

still picking up the title for PC on go day...
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Really quite a shame what they're doing to the mod community, I truly hope this mindset doesn't spread.
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, real shame about the mod support. I know a few people in IW who came from a modding background, ironic :D
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Cojax wrote: »
    Considering the PC version sells like crap compared to its big hit console brothers, I don't think they are to concerned about the loud PC community. PC would be dead by now if it weren't for Blizzard and Valve.

thats a load of garbage..
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I think the outrage not comes from trying to do new things, it's about the lack of information and how it was dropped (like a nuke) on the community really. Still there is zero information about how IWnet will work, be it P2P or rather like Dices way of controlling ranked servers by only allowing them to be bought through them (or their subsids). P2P is possibly the worst thing they could do to the pc community right now imo, they need to give us more info.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    So... am I the only one that see's this as an over-hyped, over-priced game that isn't really that much different to the last one?

I think I'll pass until they come up with something more original.

It certainly is overpriced and won't be much different than the last one, except for the fact that the last one offered a proper multiplayer experience with DEDICATED SERVERS. Which actually made it a worthwhile buy unlike this one. I'm not buying that shit.

I've already suffered enough through Gears of War PC, I'm not gonna buy a multiplayer game without dedicated servers EVER again.
  • vik
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    that was awesome vik!
  • TheSplash
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    "Don't worry, we gonna play Uncharted 2."

lol

So what implications does this no-mod thing have really? Will we not be able to import our own content into the game? Cause I'm currently modelling a gun that I had planned to get into MW2...is that now not gonna happen?
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Ok thats the first time i signed one of those internet petions...
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Internet petitions are pretty silly, for a lot of reasons.

Even if there were 100,000 signatures, thats 1% of the 10million units sold of COD4.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    "Don't worry, we gonna play Uncharted 2."

lol

So what implications does this no-mod thing have really? Will we not be able to import our own content into the game? Cause I'm currently modelling a gun that I had planned to get into MW2...is that now not gonna happen?

it means you get nothing! vanilla mw2 and thats it.
  • Frank
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I thought I read something about there will be dedicated servers, but hosted only by Activision as public standard-rules servers. Anyone else read that anywhere?

Frank the Avenger
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Slum wrote: »
    Even if there were 100,000 signatures, thats 1% of the 10million units sold of COD4.

...and lets not forget that those 100k signatures represent $6million of purchasing power :P
  • [iWi]
    excelent video VIK :poly142::poly124::poly136:...
    but very bad news for modding :poly127:
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    TheSplash wrote: »
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw
    The petition is nearly at 100,000 signatures. wow

its over 100 000 signatures now.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    its getting 1 signature every second now.
    i predict it will be at 186 400 signatures in 24 hours,
    and if it keeps up, within 1 week it'll be about 600 000 signatures.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    lol those downfall videos never get old ^_^

Suck ass news about the servers though. I signed the petition.
    Though I'm getting it on 360...LOL. I have a game night once a week with family back in Minnesota and they're all getting it on the console =\
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, there was the potential that I would be buying this twice. I had already planned to get it for the PS3, but was strongly considering it for the next game to create a mod on. I work on a mod for Tribes 2 and we've been desperately trying to find a good game to transfer the mod to. This was on our radar as a potential, since it appeared to offer a lot of our criteria. I guess it won't happen now though :(
  • seven
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    MoP wrote: »
    IW did, via a podcast interview recently. Their main reasons seem to be that it will help cut down on piracy and that matchmaking systems and p2p are the way forward.

link to podcast?
  • bounchfx
    this seems just as retarded as the 'no lan' Starcraft 2 thing. people just want to bitch at everything, and if things aren't EXACTLY HOW THEY'RE USED TO, they'll complain. I'm sure everything will be fine. I think dedicated servers should be an option if only for stability, but if IW says shit will be as good if not better then i'll trust that they know what the hell they're doing. they're the ones that made COD/MW. not me.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    seven, the main interview is here on the front page: http://www.bashandslash.com/

and here's a brief article on the official stance:
    http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/20/modern-warfare-2-dedicated-server-response.aspx
    bounchfx wrote: »
    this seems just as retarded as the 'no lan' Starcraft 2 thing. people just want to bitch at everything, and if things aren't EXACTLY HOW THEY'RE USED TO, they'll complain. I'm sure everything will be fine. I think dedicated servers should be an option if only for stability, but if IW says shit will be as good if not better then i'll trust that they know what the hell they're doing. they're the ones that made COD/MW. not me.

Heh, you say that like publishers/developers have never made a bad decision before :)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    IW did, via a podcast interview recently. Their main reasons seem to be that it will help cut down on piracy and that matchmaking systems and p2p are the way forward.

Except, based on what I'm seeing now, people are planning on trying to pirate it more as a result. Do they honestly think they'll have deterred pirating at all? They'll probably lose more sales than they would have from pirate... just a guess though.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I just wish people would understand that the pirates don't pirate it to play online bc usually those features are blocked so adding in the "extra" crap to protect in no way helps consumers that actually purchase the game.

Sad...
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure everything will be fine. I think dedicated servers should be an option if only for stability, but if IW says shit will be as good if not better then i'll trust that they know what the hell they're doing.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that didn't constantly give connection errors.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that didn't take several minutes to find matches even when there were tons of games being started.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that put me in a server under 100 ping.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that allows me to start games without something bugging up.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that put me in a game with people at my skill level.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that had a nice way of managing mods.
    - I've never used a matchmaking system that had a nice way of maintaining a regular community around a particular server.

And I've never had any of those problems with server browsers.

Is it going to be fine? Only if they've managed to create the most revolutionary matchmaking system of all time. The fact that their justification for "why this is better" is that "it's a matchmaking system" leads me to believe that no, they really don't know what they are doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will work totally fine for a subset of the audience who happen to live in magical regions where matchmaking somehow manages to function, but there's still a hell of a lot of people out there with experiences very close to mine...
  • bounchfx
    Heh, you say that like publishers/developers have never made a bad decision before :)

No developer or publisher has ever made a bad decision before.....

and acc: I agree. I fucking HATE matchmaking compared to server browsers. but they keep becoming more and more the norm. I hate it, I would like both to live side by side. give me the damn option of browsing servers. it's one of the things I hated about XBL initially, but whatever, used to it now on consoles at least.

I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'll be very sad if they get rid of server browsers completely. don't even get me started on UT3...
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Two things:

Quake live uses matchmaking no?

Quake live also uses dedicated servers no?
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The petition is up to 120k now.
    I really hope they sort this mess out and just give us Mod tools and Dedicated servers. :S
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, let's put it this way guys. As much as I'm disappointed by this decision, there is no level of pissing and moaning that will make this happen before launch. Making a game modible and having a dedicated server package, is a major development task. The only potential outcome would be an announcement that they'll work on one as a downloadable package later.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    yea :S

But assuming that they have not changed the engine too much the code still exists from cod 4, so even an after the fact release would be good.
    I think if they made a statement that dedicated servers a mod tools would be sorted out after the release, it would stop the current situation dead in its tracks.
  • Krynn72
    bounchfx wrote: »

Look at Gears of War, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Fear 2, Operation Flashpoint 2, or any other game that shipped on the PC with matchmaking multiplayer. They all die in a matter of weeks. So unless IW pulls off some insanely revolutionary system at launch (IE: Nobodys going to wait around for bug fixes and stuff, like steam got to do), then COD4:MW multiplayer will probably be a dead scene in 6-8 months.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    Gamasutra has an interesting article as well: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25728

what is more interesting are the juvenile responses. to be pissed about it is one thing, but to hope that IW crashes and burns as result is just ridiculous...
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Just want to offer another view on why some people enjoy dedicated servers. I like shooters, and like most people here have played so very many. I enjoy a good challenge online, and I'm pretty competitive, but that's only a good 50% of the time.

One thing I've never liked about matchmaking only systems was that it's constantly pairing me with people that are more or less pretty close on my skill level. With today's (admittedly) addictive ranking systems, it's pretty fun to constantly shoot for the #1 spot on the leaderboard in a game, but it doesn't take long until I get fatigue and just want to relax a bit but still be able to play with friends in multiplayer, rather than resorting to single player.

I played lots of Halo 3 when it came out with a small handful of friends, but sooner or later when the stakes got too high, there'd be way too much tension and pressure riding on each and every game. So even when we were pushing the boundaries of who we could compete with, we found that it wasn't worth the hassle of stressing out over a videogame where even a victory was bittersweet from all the strategic screaming & scheming between us.

Dedicated servers and pubs offers a wide range of skill levels, competition and relaxed atmosphere that I won't really play without anymore. I have no shame in admitting that killing some scrub is pretty fun and a satisfying way to flaunt your useless FPS skills over some other clown. The other players on my skill level are always there as well, and if I'm in that competitive mood, I can constantly start shit with him/her in whatever areas they frequent the most. The atmosphere of familiarity that a dedicated server offers isn't anything to dismiss either. Even if most people I play against in a pub are random jackoffs, I do enjoy seeing a few familiar faces here and there. Plus, I don't have to deal with random chocolate milk guzzling pimply ass 14 year-olds spewing who knows what the fuck on NEARLY as regular a basis, cause when's the last time you saw some fool get kicked from matchmaking for foul language? Last in this rant, and not least, is that matchmaking is far too liberal with whatever server it's willing to throw you in. Having had cable internet since my fucking teens, I've never had any problems with server lists and lag. Now I have a fiber optic line, and have to worry about this stupid shit whenever I decide to play online on my console.

Welp.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ^ Pretty much summerises it for the most part. The ranking system and what not employed by quakelive is great but its the choice thats probably most important. Also, what was the deal with TF2 on consoles at launch? wasn't that a fucking crazy lagfest? Dunno if that was something user related or game related though...
  • flaagan
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    haha ooooh im so looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    winclose.jpg

I got the last dude in this epic game! warming up for MW 2 :P
    (look at team total score)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Damn, can't believe it was that close.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message