Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fallout 3 Art Test

EDIT: At the Request of Bethesda I had to take this down :(

Hey everyone,

Here is an art test I submitted to work on Fallout Vegas. Unfortunately I did not get the job, But I figure I would post it up.

Specs:

1x512 Diffude
1x512 spec
1x512 normal
2,498 tris

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Civil Defense logo and the green in his goggles seem a little over saturated/bright, but other than that, I really like it. Nice work!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This looks really nice. It's pretty spot on to the concept. The only thing I think would help it is a small amount of color in your spec. A bit a blue for the leather would help.

Good work!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work, great rendition of the concept. Maybe they were looking for a slight deviation from the concept. The gloss on the rubber could have been pushed a bit I think, and the goggles could have been meatier. I'm no expert, good work nonetheless.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yup, pretty good interpretation. I think its mostly the handling of the materials that let you down, and maybe the helmet logo. The model itself looks nearly spot on.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    Nice job here!)
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLee - Thank you, I think you are right, I really should have toned those things down

skylebones - Ohhh the colored spec! I always forget something haha.

Target_Renegade - Those are things I have been thinking myself looking back on the piece.

CheeseOnToast - Texturing Is a battle I think I will always fight but thanks to all your guys work being posted, and feedback, maybe its a battle I will one day win!

Sauron - Cheers!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Sucks you had to take the images down, I felt you matched the concept pretty well. Did they give you any crits or why you didn't get the job?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i'm really disappointed you had to take this down, i wanted to see it! if ur able to pm me the images or something, i'd love to have a look
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    mr_ace wrote: »
    i'm really disappointed you had to take this down, i wanted to see it! if ur able to pm me the images or something, i'd love to have a look

Same here.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Thats the thing about art test. Most of the ones I've done lately are great portfolio pieces, but I can't show them. Sorry you had to take it down.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Bummer.

Sometimes if you ask nicely, companies will let you show your art test so long as you dont mention the studio or project it is from.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    It bothers me that these companies expect potential applicants to spend so much time on art tests UNPAID, then turn around and just to pour salt in the wound and tell them they can't use it to find a job elsewhere or even just show it off to buddies.

Seriously, that's just mean, can't spend an extra few minutes coming up with some other art tests?
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww I missed it, darn. My question is why does a company not want people to see their art test?
    It bothers me that these companies expect potential applicants to spend so much time on art tests UNPAID, then turn around and just to pour salt in the wound and tell them they can't use it to find a job elsewhere or even just show it off to buddies.

Seriously, that's just mean, can't spend an extra few minutes coming up with some other art tests?

^^you really think an applicant should get paid for an art test? Having done over a dozen myself I still consider it an ego boost just to get a test from most companies. Them saying "Heres an art test, we think your work is good enough, we just want to see if you can get it done fast enough". Is quite the compliment,
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    so who ratted you out on polycount is what I'd like to know.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Junkie_XL: Or more accurately, who from that company (most likely more than one person) is a reader of polycount... for all we know there are lawyers prowling the dev floors and someone happened to have this window open! :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I wasn't implying that people should be paid for an art test :P, simply that it seems crule to ask someone to slave over something, not get anything out of it, and throw it in a trashcan. The least they could do is let them show others their hard work.

Would this mean coming up with a couple extra arts tests every 2 weeks? of course, but that's how it should be, have a little respect for people.

Thought about this a little more, at what point are companies going to simply start taking the art tests tweak 'em a little bit and throw 'em in game? No one's seen 'em to cry foil... seems kinda shady to me.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    crazy: Don't slave over it. You do get get something out of it (I'll let you figure that out). An art test isn't really that hard of work. Seriously now, it's a couple days. You want them to come up with art tests every 2 weeks? Having one art test is a pretty good way to gauge everyone up against each other.

That last paragraph is absolutely possible, but i think it's safe to assume this would not be a successful business model.

Try working on multiple secret projects over a few years and not being allowed to show that. 2 years. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. ;)
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk - Thank you. I did get offered a small bit of feedback. They wanted me to use more photoshop normal mapping and such instead of modeling everything out. So while they said they liked my high poly model, they didn't want to see things like the straps, bolts, chin strap, lock, and some thigns on the goggles modeled out.

mr_ace - We will see what happens :) that's all I want to say publicly haha

Minotaur0 - We will see what happens :) that's all I want to say publicly haha

skylebones - Yeah it happens. Just means now I have to bust out a personal piece. Maybe I can do something to the same specs but with an original concept or a piece of concept art from somewhere else that isn't an art test haha

Slum - Based on the phone call, (that's right they called me early int he morning , they didn't send an e-mail lol) they want everything under wraps haha

crazyfingers - I agree with you about not being able to show it or post it in your portfolio. Personally I felt I grew quite a bit doing this test. It was a great learning tool.

However, companies are very busy. While it may seem like making a new art test would be easy, they have to tell a concept artist to stop working on art for the game and create art for a test. Doing that every couple of weeks seems expensive. I think 1 test to gauge everyone on is far more efficiant.

zerafian - haha. Maybe one day I will be able to post it up. I don't think people should be paid to do an art test. I agree with you it is a compliment just to get one. At least you arn't greeted with straight rejection! haha. There is a lot of politics that goes on as well. In todays economy things aren't always what they seem. I took a different test for a different company where I have friends at. Originally they wanted to hire 2 junior character artists. We both tested, they liked our work but they decided to hire 1 senior character artist instead. They had a really tight deadline and needed a seasoned guy with experiance. It's totally understandable. that's a decision I would probably make myself if I ran things.

Junkie_XL - I don't know if it's true but supposedly they have software that searches art forums for certain names. I post on Cgsociety, and Gameartisans as well. I really think someone from the company just saw it haha.

MoP - haha indeed.

dur23 - I think you laid it out best. Personally I really enjoyed working on this test, and I learned a lot from it. I had to use some tricks I have only seen done but never actually done myself. I have done freelance work, and I still have some things that are under NDA, and might not be able to show for a long long time.

To Everyone:

Thanks for the support and this interesting debate. I am glad I finally found a community of people that are really trying to help each other out. Hopefully I get this kind of support on future endevors. Thanks everyone!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ^ Agree with teh dur23 ^

The other bad part about making an art test too public, is you might get some artists who are completely prepared for it, possibly having completed a large portion of the test already.

Or anything else that would put a candidate in a better situation than another candidate who is unaware of what the test might be.

:/
  • joesolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi - I agree with you. that is a very large possibility.

I will say the only thing that I think about sometimes is this. I hope I don't come off rude with this thought. It's just an internal question I ask about art tests. Sometimes I feel that art tests are not always the best way to go. You don't really get any art direction, or the guy next to your cube or deskmate telling you that you missed something because you have been staring at it too long. I think potential candidates would have a better shot if there was some way to throw some art direction in the mix, like you send it in 1/2 way and get some feedback, then if they still don't like the piece when you complete it, it means you couldn't take art direction or you still just couldn't do what needed to be done. Does anyone else agree?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    They want to see your creativity in action instead of holding your hand all the way. If you get the job, ok, they will tell you what to do, but for know, they want to see your though process in interperating what they give you.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    at my job in the animation studio I was at, they didn't allow us to take ANY of the work we did for portfolio. So after 2 years working for them, I walked out with nothing to show. It was rather disheartening. The shows aren't even on the air anymore so I can't even pick out the scenes that I worked on, nor could I show what my job entailed within a scene.

Just have to move on I guess, if you can do the work already, it shouldn't be that bad to apply that knowledge into something else to produce more, but that's still time that equals money.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    you shouldn't have said it was a test for fallout 3, lots of people get away with posting their art tests as long as they don't say it was a test for ... whoever. but since you specifically stated its a test and who its for then you're pretty much SOL.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you. I did get offered a small bit of feedback. They wanted me to use more photoshop normal mapping and such instead of modeling everything out. So while they said they liked my high poly model, they didn't want to see things like the straps, bolts, chin strap, lock, and some thigns on the goggles modeled out.

This confuses me. As long as you were on-time and it looked awesome why should this matter? nvidia PS filter is best for bumping small details like cracks, fabric, etc. I've never seen larger portions like straps actually look nice this way though. I'd think physically modeling the stuff out while being under budget would be more impressive and it shows through in the final product better anyway?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Damn, too late... :(

I totality agree with Junkie_XL comment tho, highpoly normal maps ftw.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I dont get that part either. You want to impress your future employer and they tell you you should have used cheap hacks instead of showing your full potential?

PS: Was this that art test for a raider npc with the goggles and shield? Ive seen that one before on other forums so I dont get why it has to be deleted here if it was that one.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this is useless or fake feedback.. cause this is stuff they have to tell you in the brief
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    joesolo wrote: »
    alexk - Thank you. I did get offered a small bit of feedback. They wanted me to use more photoshop normal mapping and such instead of modeling everything out. So while they said they liked my high poly model, they didn't want to see things like the straps, bolts, chin strap, lock, and some thigns on the goggles modeled out.

Yeah... uhm. That is just stupid. wtf?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    That is indeed stupid and they could have said it from the beginning, Not like you dont know how to do that stuff aswell.

Or do they prefer lazy from the get go? Lazy on your own initiative :)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably maximum quickness to feed the sweatshops
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Was some nice work while it lasted up there mate :)

Them asking them to take it down is obvious. Most companies have a few standard art tests, if one is posted then everyone knows that it could be one they're given and they can prepare for that, granted you want to put your best foot forward but you also don't want to get a job based something which u actually started on before the test. Best way to end up failing when they assign you a task for money.

However that being said it's still kinda a slap to the face as it was a nice piece which you can't use for your folio :|
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    joesolo wrote: »
    JacqueChoi - I agree with you. that is a very large possibility.

I will say the only thing that I think about sometimes is this. I hope I don't come off rude with this thought. It's just an internal question I ask about art tests. Sometimes I feel that art tests are not always the best way to go. You don't really get any art direction, or the guy next to your cube or deskmate telling you that you missed something because you have been staring at it too long. I think potential candidates would have a better shot if there was some way to throw some art direction in the mix, like you send it in 1/2 way and get some feedback, then if they still don't like the piece when you complete it, it means you couldn't take art direction or you still just couldn't do what needed to be done. Does anyone else agree?

Just to play devils advocate here i'll say how I feel against this..

You can get some guidance to make sure your not off base in an art test. Every company is different, but the last art test i did i had a single shot for guidance at one point to make sure i was heading in the right direction and then "we want to see what you do on your own"..

So yes, having things checked out at one point is good. but probalby only at ONE point and only for general guidance.

I know what you mean about having people around to crit on things you've been starring at, but the thing is the employer is testing you on a worst case scenario, which is smart. Worst case is that we are busy as fuck, the concept is rushed. Its black and white, its not even half rendered, a coworker is sick, your at work late on crunch.. can you hold your own? If you can pull of a test with out too much direction this helps, because even the best of game companies have more loose ends than you'd ever know until ya work there.. hehe.

Also one thing that prompted me to respond is that everything is relative. Your test is relative to the next guy, who is ALSO not getting direction and crits. This is a more even playing field and its also a better playing field when you realize taht getting input is a given. Thats a given. Both candidates WILL take crits and get input at the full time job. But whats not a given is Autonomy! Will this guy be able to perform with zero hand holding.

Its kinda like when people bitched about halo and how much they would kick ass if they only had a keyboard and mouse - as if the other players weren't using the xbox controller.. Your competitors are given the same treatment and that treatment is best for hiring somebody because it shows how somebody handles things with out a lot of help. And its easier to manage because its harder to keep an abundance of input fair/flat across all candidates.