Home Technical Talk

misc. maxscript UV scripts/tools

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    alright HJS, I think you know the next step. Make a "Penis Mapping" button. . . You're SOOOO close already!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm.... ANYWAYS... it's looking awesome man, keep it up :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter, make sure you're running the tools on "Editable Poly" objects not boxes or edit mesh. As listed on the site some tools don't work with certain mesh types.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I feel ashamed...didn´t notice that i wasn´t in editable poly mode, normally thats the first thing i do:poly136:
    I got it to work for some things now, but if i use it for a Cube (10x10x10), they should all lay on top of each other if i Stack them, but they Stack in a weird way?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    renderhjs wrote: »
    yes, and my 2nd part of the script is to find out a way to place the slice correctly. It works very nice so far and in comparison with the pelt mapping it actually unfolds 90%+ of it in nice squares.

Awesome man, just awesome :D
    The default spline mapping stuff in max is really great for some things (like textured roads and such), but it's limited in what it can do. It's also annoying that you have to manually create the spline to map from, especially when it's an organic shape, like a tree trunk.
    I use your tool set everyday renderhjs, absolutely love it and I'm looking forward to the next release.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    awesome. I was just coming here to bitch about unwrapping tentacles, and BAM, i see this.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well I have something new to test out:

download:
    TexTools_2.80.mzp

TexTools_2.8_GUI_preview.gif
    1. it does not have the transform type in floater because that one is not yet done and needs more tweaking. It comes however already with a button for it next to the width, height and pixel padding size input fields.
    2. max2010 fix for the disappearing image buttons, can anyone confirm that it works fine with max2010?
    3. experimental peel button, will spline map the associated shell of 1 or more selected edges. Works only well with looping shells like tubes and alike. The split seam is not yet controlled so it often might appear random to you.
    4. split by smoothing groups so hard edges will result into UV seams. If your model does not come with smoothing groups the same calculation will be done with 60° applied surface smoothness (not altering your model there).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the previous version 2010 - never saw buttons disappear. This version works just as well, so I think it's fine.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    what bout max8? :(
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Not used any of the updates yet they look awesome I still have version 1.7 hehe. Wheres the info button gone?

awesome work again render
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    yeah!

Since 2.5 you have add popup who said "The rendered texture was stored to your clipboard"
    is that possible to disable this popup? or just print OK in the mini-listener?

Keep up the good work! :)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweetness :D Will test it out soon. Um, how do I go about updating an older version? When I drag the new file into max and then close and re-open, it uses the older version I had previously installed. I'm running Max 2010 64bit.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I Will use this for my next Project, so if i find any bugs, i will inform you.
    Edit: Do you have any method to inform you fast, or should i just post everything here?
    Try my messenger: ICQ, AIM, MSN, YM should all work just fine. The numbers should be visible in my polycount account page or below my avatar. Apart from that either here if its texTools related or via my eMail address that is visible on my website:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/

what bout max8? :(
    I consider max 8 to be rather old (Wikipedia says: October 2006). The major thing that does not work with Max 8 is the:
    • Copy Bitmap to clipboard: because of the use of DotNet components is only available with max9+
    I just scanned through the UV-unwrap documentation of maxscript and it seems that most of the stuff all works fine with max8. Just the new peel mapping thing I added yesterday works only with max2009+.
    So give it a try,- see what works aside from the render to clipboard stuff I might pick it then up in the documentation and mark the functions with a icon or symbol that work with max 8.

Showster wrote: »
    Not used any of the updates yet they look awesome I still have version 1.7 hehe. Wheres the info button gone?
    I considered it to be useless. It was a nice code snippet collection for me back then - but I dont think that that function adds useful functionality. All it did was outputting some numbers and ratios which usually can be judged easier with your eyes just by looking at the UV's anyway.
    Or do you see a scenario where it would be useful?- if so I am all ears.

zOffTy wrote: »
    Since 2.5 you have add popup who said "The rendered texture was stored to your clipboard"
    is that possible to disable this popup? or just print OK in the mini-listener?
    Yes I was annoyed by some heavy bake jobs, thought they were already done but they weren't so I thought having a feedback is nice. It should not be a big burden because usually you don't call those methods so often.
    But I am considering an optional checkbox otherwise in the setup menu to let you control that yourself, whether you want a dialog feedback or just some maxscript listener output.

mLichy wrote: »
    sweetness :D Will test it out soon. Um, how do I go about updating an older version? When I drag the new file into max and then close and re-open, it uses the older version I had previously installed. I'm running Max 2010 64bit.
    Well make sure that the created macro script you use points to the correct version. And just to be sure maybe re-assign the macro to your toolbar, shortcut or whatever. Because the new one should come with an Icon you can see on your 3dsmax main toolbar for example.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Vassago wrote: »
    I used the previous version 2010 - never saw buttons disappear. This version works just as well, so I think it's fine.
    What I mean are these icons:
    texTools_max2009_fixed.gif
    What you see on the right side is what happened before- but I hope that now with the 2.80 release in max2010 you see it as on the left side. So is that the case ? would be nice if some max2010 user could confirm that.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh, right. Yeah I didn't pay close enough attention before. They look correct now with the latest version - textures show just fine. :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the UV transform floater is almost done, so I decided to add some align stuff to it:
    texTools_UV_transform_gui.gif
    the Transform stuff now actually very pixel floating precise,- and you can really use the spinners to see it update. Switching to a different direction (4 corners to choose from) will behave different and let you move stuff with higher precision.

As for the align buttons I a context sensitive mode in mind. Aligning UV shells to their most outer border (depending on the direction) if you have face selected. And Aligning only selected UV-verts if you selected UV-verts ahead.
    I am thinking of some Texture Atlas input helper like a scale of +/- 0.25 so you can easily blow up the whole UV layout by a quarter or half or double. Same perhaps for moving or offsetting selected shells but instead so that it snaps to a pixel perfect position.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    update already:

TexTools_2.90.mzp

TexTools_2.90_splash.jpg

Just to be sure better re-assign your macro scripts that launch the TexTools (I guees for most people that would be the main toolbar). So remove it and drag it again from the customize User interface into the menu - but maybe I am wrong on this and it works just fine with just dragging the file into max and everything updates.

The new transform toolbar appears automatically whenever you open the UV-unwrap editor from within TexTools - and will be removed if you close it either via TexTools or simply if you close the UV-unwrap editor itself.

Transformation Floater usage:
    Its important each time that after each selection you want to modify you initialize the starting variables and to do that simply click on the arrows, the input fields should then update according to your selection. Just play with it after a while you will get the hang of it.
    The reason for this is that I still want to safe as much resources and performance as possible and avoiding any possible crashes because of constant updates. So maybe I find some tricky ways to do that automatically in the future.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow really nice and fast update :).

But i found a bug(i think), but it is with the stack tools.
    I made a cube(Made it Editable Poly) 100x100x100 and used explode, so good so far.But then i selected all shells and clicked Stack Tools...Bam!!!, only one Side remains and the other Sides are gone like in this screenshot:
    bugnp.jpg

I hope you understand what i mean.

Edit: just noticed that the Menu(old and new) now Sticks to the UVW Editor all the time YAY! :D
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    exact same problem here :) was about to start making screenshots :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well the stack tools is still buggy,- you can always undo that one.

The reason its not so great yet is because it take the most distant 2 verts of each Shell in UV space as given pairs. But of course thats now always the case and of course it usually takes more spots than 2 to identify a pattern or shape. I know that many other soloutions (like headus) work with a user input marking system so that the code knows which spots are the same on each shell - but I wanted to find a way around that.

So for now perhaps ignore that button or only try it with more complex topologies because thats where it might shine better.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it´s kinda normal at the moment, that the uvw information for all sites except one is gone?
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question about installation. When I drag and drop the latest version (2.9) to 3d max viewport - for a moment is ok...Textools 2.9 appers and works all fine. But when I close 3d max and reopen, Textools doesn't appear, even when I open Unvwrap UVW window. :/ Everytime I have to drag and drop. What am I doing wrong?
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and something more... when I loaded the latest Textools, I haven't got a 'Pixel Transform Floater' :/ only tools from Textools
  • Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hello,

With the new version the shortcut that i made for the "align" is not working anymore.
    maxscript return an error :

Argument count error : fn_04_align_uv_verts wanted 1, got 2 (code line 942)

but if i click the button without using the shortcut it work fine
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Gerbeiter wrote: »
    I have a question about installation. When I drag and drop the latest version (2.9) to 3d max viewport - for a moment is ok...Textools 2.9 appers and works all fine. But when I close 3d max and reopen, Textools doesn't appear, even when I open Unvwrap UVW window. :/ Everytime I have to drag and drop. What am I doing wrong?
    check this installation instruction:
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/img/texTools_2.23_installation.gif
    after you drag it into your view port you have to add a macroscript (the kind of script you can add to your interface) to your toolbar.
    You launch TexTools via that shortcut then each time you need it. The reason for the decision is that
    1. not everyone wants to have it start with each 3dsmax startup,- but only start it as soon as they need it.
    2. I can not register a event in maxscript that knows when you open or close the UV unwrap editor.
      ico_uv_editor_open.gif
      Thats what I have the open/ Close Uv Editor button for + it also has its advantages on the code side- as I can tweak and prepare more stuff my way.
    of course you can have it also your way and let it launch each time 3dsmax starts- if you really want that simply put the TexTools_2.90.mzp into your 3dsmax/scripts/startup folder. It should then each time launch whenever you startup 3dsmax.

and something more... when I loaded the latest Textools, I haven't got a 'Pixel Transform Floater' :/ only tools from Textools
    make sure you launch it from within the TexTools interface and not via the 3dsmax modifier panel.
    Also if you had an earlier version intalled before- make sure you update the TexTools launch macroscript (see my first answer regarding registering the macroscript to your main toolbar), just remove the shortcut (if you had one before) and re-drag the macroscript back to the main 3dsmax toolbar.

Cathodeus wrote: »
    With the new version the shortcut that i made for the "align" is not working anymore.
    maxscript return an error :
    Argument count error : fn_04_align_uv_verts wanted 1, got 2 (code line 942)
    but if i click the button without using the shortcut it work fine
    yes I noticed that yesterday as well,- it adds wrong parameters there I will fix that later today.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I installed this today and the toolset is awesome. However, I've got a problem where I can't use the render to texture window to bake my objects.

Pressing the render button does nothing, but I can still bake maps through texTools. This means I can't bake out a normal map, which is driving me crazy! Is there something I've missed out or has something gone wrong on my end?

EDIT: Hmm, it's working on some files and not others. Must be something on my end, so not much you can do to help me I suppose. I'll try deleting it and re-installing :)

EDIT 2: Sorry for the constant editing but I managed to re-create the problem. I used textools to make an AO map, then while it was rendering I pressed cancel. I then tried to use r2t to bake an AO and when I pressed render nothing happened. It said at the bottom "texture baking complete" but no rendered frame window came up. Maybe this is a bug?
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check this installation instruction:
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/img/texTools_2.23_installation.gif
    after you drag it into your view port you have to add a macroscript (the kind of script you can add to your interface) to your toolbar.

Yes, I understand, but I can't add the macroscript to the toolbar. I drag 'Textool' Action from 'Customise User Interface' and I'm trying to add to the toolbar - and nothing, nothing happens, nothitng appears.

Sometimes when I want to add some other macroscript to the toolbar, I open it to edit it, then I select everyting (all code) and I drag it and add to the toolbar - it works, but when I want to do the same with your script, I have a massege:

"Maxscript Macroscript Error Exception
    Compile error: Nested macrscipt definitions are not permitted
    In line: macsript T"

and I can't do enything.

The 2nd problem that I have.. is when I put the script into 3dsmax/scripts/startup folder. After that, when I open 3d max, your script opens every time these all windows (instead of one -only Textools):
    aaaeg.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    carlo_c wrote: »
    Pressing the render button does nothing, but I can still bake maps through texTools. This means I can't bake out a normal map, which is driving me crazy! Is there something I've missed out or has something gone wrong on my end?
    EDIT: Hmm, it's working on some files and not others. Must be something on my end, so not much you can do to help me I suppose. I'll try deleting it and re-installing :)
    at the end of the script it deletes the bake render job node from the object- it might the reason why later baking stuff the max way wont work anymore :/ if so sorry about that. Will dig into debugging right away - see if I can find the code part that causes that.
    Because I experienced something similar as well sometime ago: not being able to bake anything with the object anytime later.
    Edit: I think its the method:
    $.removeAllBakeElements

thats causing the behavior of not being to able to bake anything after that. Will have some more experiments later to see how I can fix things.

Yes, I understand, but I can't add the macroscript to the toolbar. I drag 'Textool' Action from 'Customise User Interface' and I'm trying to add to the toolbar - and nothing, nothing happens, nothitng appears.

Sometimes when I want to add some other macroscript to the toolbar, I open it to edit it, then I select everyting (all code) and I drag it and add to the toolbar - it works, but when I want to do the same with your script, I have a massege:
    "Maxscript Macroscript Error Exception
    Compile error: Nested macrscipt definitions are not permitted
    In line: macsript T"

and I can't do enything.
    thats odd,- I mean thats all on 3ds max part - managing the macroscripts. Maybe it cant find or address some resources (icons, associated code,...) but I have no idea why. Do you have full administrative rights on the computer when you try to install the TexTools and drag the macro script to the toolbar?
    The 2nd problem that I have.. is when I put the script into 3dsmax/scripts/startup folder. After that, when I open 3d max, your script opens every time these all windows (instead of one -only Textools):
    interesting, never tried that myself :D though obvious I don't recommend that. We will have to find a solution for your 1st issue instead.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    fixed the linear or align macroscript (same as this button: ico_straighten.gif )

TexTools_2.91.mzp

also I updated the documentation page and added some new animations:
    • transform_floater.gif
      Transform selections:
      texTools_ani_transform_basic.gif
    • ico_transform_align.gif align shells or verts:
      texTools_ani_transform_align.gif
    • ico_split_smoothing_groups.gifSplit according to Smoothing Groups:
      texTools_ani_split_smoothing_groups.gif
    • ico_mirror.gifSymmetry:
      texTools_ani_mirror.gif
    • ico_peel_pipe.gifPeel pipe:
      texTools_ani_peel_pipe.gif

carlo_c: I tried to reproduce the RTT bug but I was not able to,- everything works fine here after I do all of the detail map baking types from the TexTools floater.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know any maxscript so maybe I'm talking about something which doesn't make sense but if your command deletes the bake render job node, is there a command I could type to "give it back" lol.

Then I could try to bake and if it works, well that's a good enough solution for me. If not then at least I'll know it's something on my end :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe send me the scene - or just the object that can not RTT anymore - so I can test things on it. Use the PM system or my eMail address on my website otherwise to send me the file if you can.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Super nice, you are a one man Swiss Army Knife. Except not Swiss.
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have full administrative rights on the computer when you try to install the TexTools and drag the macro script to the toolbar?

Yes I do, this is my home computer with 3d max 2009 installed a couple of days ago. But on my computer in my job I can't do it as well. Maybe I do something wrong :/? but what.. its only drag and drop;) Anyway I can't put into Main Toolbar.

The 'Peel' is a cool tool, but when I'm doing some pipe or cable using 'Line' and then I convert it to 'editable poly' - the tool doesn't work, why? I know that during creating some 'Line' there is an option 'Generate Mapping Coords' but sometimes I have to turn it off.

'Linear - Align edge or vertex selection to a single line' - is it possible to
    connect this tool with some shortkey?
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    render. my homey. you are THE MAN.

I'm loving the new features.

just a note; your first post has an outdated download link.

btw: thank you so much for those animated gifs you keep adding, it makes everything so easy to understand and I am getting much more use out of this now that I fully understand every feature!

ps: OMIGOD peel pipe is SO AWESOME
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    hm, i got a problem there with the toolbar attaching to the uv editor window. whenever i minimize the editor window the toolbar keeps getting in the way of my perspective view AND i can't move it around the place like i could before. what am i doing wrong /what could be/is the solution to this ?

edit: oh and when i hit the align button twice on a selection it gets moved right to the left of the editor window - something i haven't encountered with the chuggnut tools
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    MoP wrote: »
    Super nice, you are a one man Swiss Army Knife. Except not Swiss.
    ^^
    texTools_knife.jpg

Yes I do, this is my home computer with 3d max 2009 installed a couple of days ago. But on my computer in my job I can't do it as well. Maybe I do something wrong :/? but what.. its only drag and drop;) Anyway I can't put into Main Toolbar.
    guess there is no other way,- will upload a video later to Youtube showing how to do stuff- through its super easy.
    edit, uploaded:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxizJFWYa20[/ame]

Gerbeiter wrote:
    The 'Peel' is a cool tool, but when I'm doing some pipe or cable using 'Line' and then I convert it to 'editable poly' - the tool doesn't work, why? I know that during creating some 'Line' there is an option 'Generate Mapping Coords' but sometimes I have to turn it off.
    that button requires that you have a editablePoly as a base and the UV unwrap modifier as current active. Its not complete anyway since the seem generated is random and not controlled. Use the Pelt button instead otherwise if the peel does not work for you.

Gerbeiter wrote:
    'Linear - Align edge or vertex selection to a single line' - is it possible to
    connect this tool with some shortkey?
    yes it has the odd translation of : "straighten line flow" I have to rename that sometime. Its because of the iterations each of my tools make through - and sometimes things get renamed or merged with other stuff.

cman2k wrote: »
    just a note; your first post has an outdated download link.
    btw: thank you so much for those animated gifs you keep adding, it makes everything so easy to understand and I am getting much more use out of this now that I fully understand every feature!
    thx will fix that 1st page anyway. This thread has grown way out of proportions anyway :)
    And yes the GIF animations had that intentions- explaining without words in a few seconds what and how to use it. But apart from that it lets me also embed those animations here in the boards to explain people step by step with images what they need for certain actions.

Acumen wrote: »
    hm, i got a problem there with the toolbar attaching to the uv editor window. whenever i minimize the editor window the toolbar keeps getting in the way of my perspective view AND i can't move it around the place like i could before. what am i doing wrong /what could be/is the solution to this ?
    I know -_- will have to fix that,- maybe some 2.92 update anytime soon.

Acumen wrote: »
    edit: oh and when i hit the align button twice on a selection it gets moved right to the left of the editor window - something i haven't encountered with the chuggnut tools
    will check that out,- I had something like that myself on the align stuff. I have a hunch what might be the reason for that. thx for letting me know
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^
    yes it has the odd translation of : "straighten line flow" I have to rename that sometime. Its because of the iterations each of my tools make through - and sometimes things get renamed or merged with other stuff.

Yeah, that's cool ;)
    ^^
    guess there is no other way,- will upload a video later to Youtube showing how to do stuff- through its super easy.

Thanks for video;) But I can't add the script to Main Toolbar anyway.
    When I'm dragging the action 'TexTools' and trying to put to the toolbar - I haven't got such icon - black border-box which allow me to put there.
    That's odd but true :/ I don't know why:/
    ^^
    that button requires that you have a editablePoly as a base and the UV unwrap modifier as current active. Its not complete anyway since the seem generated is random and not controlled. Use the Pelt button instead otherwise if the peel does not work for you.

Is there a chance in a future that it will work correctly in (for example) such case like I wrote :)?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Get this when i drag drop it in the viewport in Max 8 :(
    failj.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get this when i drag drop it in the viewport in Max 8 :(
    failj.jpg
    Interface: colorMan
    colorman.reInitIcons()
    Reloads all CUI icons from the icon files. This can be used to refresh the UI after adding new or editing existing icon bitmap files.
    Available in 3ds Max 9 and higher.
    Looks like that was added to max9. Seriously what are you doing on max8? 9 is pushing the boundries of dinosaur land. There might be some simple edits you can try on your end to drop or comment out that line. But in order for the icons to refresh you would probably have to restart 3dsmax.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Great new additions renderhjs, you rock!

Is there still no way to have a keyboard shortcut on the "open editor" button? That's my biggest prob with these tools at the moment.
    I usually have max setup with a shortcut to place my UVW modifier, and another to open the editor (I use U and Y, makes it really quick to open the editor). But now when I use those I don't get the pixel transform floater, and I just can't get used to having to press a button to open the editor (some say lazy, I say efficient! :).
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Get this message when I try to use element-baking:
    "Runtime error: dotNet runtime exception: W:\current\projects\img_renderToClipboard.bmp"

AO baking and wireframe to clipboard still works fine.

edit: reinstalled version 2.80 for now, temporary fix :)
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Hi renderhj, textool is fantastic!
    I have not read the whole thread, but is a "linear relax" planned? (relaxing on U or V only)
    It will be paradise!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Did a bunch of searches, but didn't find any solutions.

I'm stuck with a problem with the set texel tool and could seriously use some help.

I've got a room with a 2048* (walls, floor, ceiling) and a 512x128 (trim) applied. For now, I've whacked my prototyping textures on there to illustrate my problem :P My prototyping textures have a checkerboard that remains the same size through all of the size variants.

I want to get an 8px/1unit texel ratio going, but when I apply this, the room and the trim don't line up - The room seems to be scaled correctly, though - I'd have thought with the checkerboard being over the different texture sizes, applying the same texel density would mean the checkerboard would appear to be the same across both objects, live in my scene?

Image to illustrate (ignore the stretching):

textools_help.jpg

I'm not entirely familiar with your tools, and I'm quite new to abiding by a texel density rule. I'm also at the end of a day of crunch so it could be blindingly obvious, but some help on getting a consistent px/unit would completely pwn.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Requests:

Can you re-add your render 'faces' map option? I was using that extensively for masking, and while the 'blocking map' could be useful, it also gives me too much info and takes far longer most of the time. I much prefer just selecting hte elements I want to texture on my model, hitting that one button, then pasting that into a mask on my photoshop layer set.

Also, could you expose the 'max dist' parameter in your AO bake detail map? You have the spread and samples exposed, but that max dist value is very, very important.

Thanks again for all the great work!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    sorry for being absent
    I was busy moving from Germany to Sydney for a new game development work
    DSC00379-540x361.jpg

I hope to get started with TexTools sometime next week once I have settled here somewhat.

Gerbeiter:
    I will have to look into it but for now I think it has rather to do with your missing Administrative rights or wrong Max version. You need Max 9+ and some administrative rights because by default Max stores all scripts into a folder outside of your user folder (usually c:\program files\autodesk\3dsmax2009\scripts\..).

I had another message from a chinese user who couldn't install the script either - he got some errors shown up and I believe in his case it was because of the different folder seperator sign as it is not a dash like on our OS but some Yuan or whatever character.

JohnnyRaptor:
    Yeah I guess you have been already told this but that particular function is only available in max9+. I will add an optional condition in the script that detects max8 or below versions to ignore that command and instead prompt with some message to restart max in order to see the icons appearing for the toolbars should you drag them into the toolbar.

Bal:
    Always planned but never added to the macroscripts. Will try to cover that the next time. I agree that should be really handy maybe with an additional detection wheter or not TexTools was already started or not and have it pop up as well should it not have been started before.

Yozora:
    Will have to look into that why its different from the others. Worked so far for me.

Holi:
    You mean like relaxed distribution on 1 line? could you tell me where you would use it?
    there is already the linear align button ico_straighten.gif
    texTools_ani_linear.gif
    that usually does the job for me because non pixel matching UV seams are what I usually try to avoid.

glynnsmith:
    I will try to respond to that some other time - because it always takes time to explain Texel stuff ^^ and right now I am a bit busy.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Hey congrats on the mooove - where in sydney are you based? (if you don't mind me asking)

..looks fancy and expensive..
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    central business district - so I am pretty much living in the inner center.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Congrats on the move buddy. I wish you the best, you definitely deserve it.

Just stay away from the spiders man.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there!
    Im late on the party but I just tried the tools and they are fantastic!
    One question tho - is there a way you could have UV soft selection controls in there? Just simple things : distance, and per topo VS per vert distance toggle. Soft selection might actually by in the default max toolset ... but I personally still relies on Chuggnuts toolbar to thisday and I thing it takes this out :P

Thanks! Fantastic job man! Loving the quick checker toggle!