Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sylar from Heroes

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
It's fairly early on in the sculpting process but I'd like to get an idea of how I'm managing to capture the likeness sofar - if at all. And feedback appreciated.

critw.jpg

Replies

• woogity
    hooray heros!.. ok crits jaw needs to be stronger, upper nose needs to be wider, ears are way out of place atm, also he has attached lobes. the underside of his chin where it attaches to his neck is very unnatural atm, mouth is too narrow and too curvy, paintover otw

-Woog
  • OcR Crimson
    is that spock?

oh and the ears are trippy dude, nice start though!
  • woogity
    sylar%20paintover.jpg

not the greatest i hope you can get the jist of it

-Woog
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Good start! The first thing that popped out at me was the mouth needs to be wider. Take the 4th picture you have and overlay it over a front view and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also I think the nose on yours is a wee bit too upturned.
  • praxedes
    woog has really got something in his front overpaint- pay close attention to his lines for the mouth and jawline!

Good luck

~P~
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    hey panger, lips are too pursed. your cheek bone and brow are too defined, sylar is chubbier. nostrils are good but the ball of the nose it too large. your ears are too thick and sticking out too far. OH and his lower ear is attached to his head, i always noticed it when watching heroes. and his chin/jaw nees to be moe pronounced like woogity said.

the overall shape of the head feels right. Its mostly the mouth throwing it off, and the brow/cheek bones making the shape feel off.

Also, this model looks exactly like a buddy of mine lol. with the lips and ears lol.
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover Woogity! It's helped me a lot. I've tried capturing the overall proportions so far, gradually working down to get the shape of the features. I overlayed the front angle picture on the model and was pleased to find the proportions are generally correct with some nudging needed in a few areas, which I have done in the last few days in my spare time. I've been paying a little more attention to the finer details like the shape of the lower lid and the pocket of fat there, corners of the mouth and the narrow butt-chin.

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Would love to hear some more. Here's an update.

critb.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its still very generic so far, push those forms you can see in the picshave a look at the muscles around the mouth and the shape of the cheekbones and angle of eyebrows
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update.

yah2g.jpg
    yahf.jpg
  • e-freak
    to thin, especially around the chin and the forhead is too low and too small.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe this is incredibly useless and your screenshot just looks odd because of some sort of perspective viewport filter, I don't know, but basically... proportions. (Slow gif.) Sorry the lines don't really explain anything.

sylar.gif

Ears are actually very important in likeness, as well. Seems like a small thing, but they create an important part of the silhouette.
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looks to me like you made the likeness in Ortho views and switched to perspective later. Always work in perspective if you are going for a likeness. You have to remember that camera's capture perspective shots not orthos.

Vrav's paint over shows a lot of what needs fixing.
  • torontoanimator
  • Killaball
    I never like people who just post a link without an explanation behind said link.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=46396

... Just kidding... I don't know if you use this plugin for Zbrush its called image plane. It seems like this little plugin will be very helpful with what you are doing. Just plug it in and read the little doc on how to use it in zbrush. Correct the over all shape of the head then move on.
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover, Vrav. I found it quite helpful while tweaking the face. And killaball, that link - i appreciate it.

Here's a small update. Hopefully there's a clear difference between this and my last update.

yahl.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Pang: You're jumping into texture waayy too early. IMO, that model still looks nothing like Zach Quinto, even with his face photo plastered on it, which is a bad sign.

I think you need to sculpt until it looks recognizable. Then work on the texture.