Home General Discussion

12wx Cintiq w/ 2 monitors

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
So, wife just picked me up a 12wx Cintiq, my persistence finally paid off and should be arriving any day now, and now that it's actually on its way, I never thought about me already having two monitors.

For those of you that have one, did you get a secondary vid card to push the cintiq and your two monitors, or get a dvi splitter cable? Which do you prefer? I don't want to continually unplug one monitor just to use this and at 12 inch screen I can't see me using this as a monitor when not in use.

Lemme know your suggestions. Thanks. Also any tips and tricks I should know on setup I've read it's kind of a pain.

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    When I got my Cintiq, I hooked it up at work for a while. So I had 3 monitors & 2 vid cards [7900 & 5200]. The Cintiq & 1 monitor were connected to the primary card, with the other monitor hooked into a PCI slot card. Worked fine till driver updates came along. They were all nvidia cards, but I had to install the driver that supported the PCI card. :(

2x PCI-E cards should do the trick nicely. No sense wasting 2 perfectly good cards with that SLI garbage.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I'm with Dekard: some kind of splitter would be cool for laptop users like me

I use an additional 20'' monitor and don't want to replace it with a 12''
    I'd rather had 3 monitors
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, xeno just posted the conclusion I finally came to about mine. I had my 12wx at work for a while, but when I brought it home and I already had two glorious monitors i wasn't sure what to do.. It's been sitting at home lonely for a while (I do most of my work at work anyway), while I looked for a way to connect a third monitor. on #md noel showed me some splitter devices and such but everything was like 200$, minus a Y cable which was cheap, but apparently super specific to what it worked with :\ I guess I'm just going with the second video card route, hoping that my PC case has enough room for two.

let me know what you wind up doing, dekard!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I got the dvi splitter suggestion as well, but heard that a dvi splitter will also reduce quality as well. So may go the second card route. Wanting to see what others have done.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    I run a cintiq 21ux and 2 23" monitors.

I run the cintiq and one monitor off a geforce 8800gtx, and the second monitor off a geforce 9600.

It works ok, but frankly I should have gotten another 8-series card for the monitor, since 8/9 series cards use different drivers. As a result I can't launch the nvidia control panel - but it doesn't really impact me in any significant way.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I bought a second 8800gt for my cintiq when I got it late last year. I actually had to get a new power supply to support the 2 24 inch monitors I already had, plus the extra video card I bought. While I was at it, I upgraded my motherboard too so that I could run two video cards.
    So the whole thing became quite expensive, but, point being, I now have my two 24 inch monitors hooked up into one of my 8800 gt's and the cintiq hooked up into the other 8800gt.
    I have never had ANY problems with this setup, and I highly recommend you go this route, if you can afford it.

[edit] oh, and I have the cintiq 12wx also :)
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011218

Eyefinity, support for up to 3 displays. HDMI->DVI and you're golden.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    you could go old school, and get a regular "pci" video card for your 3rd monitor out.
    Other option if your mother board has on-board video, re-enable it. Although not the best option, I tried onboard, and my cintiq 20wsx gets wavy lines.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wolf, you forgot this is ATI. Not a good move!

So yeah back to the point, plugging in an extra vidcard is really not much work at all and it works quite well. As a matter of fact I think that a dual LCD + 12wx makes a lot of sense (the babytique becomes some kind of nice auxiliary sketchpad, somehow), whereas dual LCD + 21UX would be way too cumbersome to handle (I think?). I guess the ideal would be 1LCD+21UX+12WX but after trying it and hoping alot from it I felt like it was just getting a bit too convoluted, you keep moving stuff around and everything kindof fights for deskspace...

You could even dedicate the 12WX to a specific lightweight (and screen operated only, no kb shortcuts) drawing program like AWSketchbook or SAI, and leave it open all the time to serve as some kind of fancy idea pad...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah Pior, I don't see the point personally of having a 21ux with more than one other extra monitor. granted I've only tried my 21 with a second monitor but I can't really imagine a use for a third. and a 21+ a 12+ a monitor sounds even crazier. The 12wx sounds almost useless in that combo, since you're already going to have a cintiq to draw on (and a much bigger one at that).

I might go the PCI route if my mobo has a PCI out, that and the vid cards are probably uber cheap now. All I really want my second monitor for is reference and or movies, and another one for a duplicate window of what I'm working on on the bottom screen/3d.

however, I've also considered buying a small laptop specifically for connecting this baby to so I can chill on my couch and sketch on the 12wx. ah, decisions. expensive..decisions.. :(
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »

I might go the PCI route if my mobo has a PCI out, that and the vid cards are probably uber cheap now. All I really want my second monitor for is reference and or movies, and another one for a duplicate window of what I'm working on on the bottom screen/3d.

My local shop still sells them at about $60 (Canadian) (Geforce 6200 256mb) Maybe you can find one on kijiji or craigslist for cheaper?

I used a spare ati pci card for awhile back in the days of 1 agp slot. Worked, but slow for everything other than more desktop real estate :P
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it working with 1 monitor so far, need to get another vid card, got a nvidia 260 in there now, don't think I got much room for another one might even have to bump up the power supply.. :D

but here's my first pic, so far loving it.

cintiq.jpg

damn i need to clean and dust off my desk. :D

cintiq2.jpg
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, it looks like we have identical desks.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »

Ikea?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Xeno had the extra monitors oriented vertically and flanking the Cintiq, his workspace looked like the Matrix
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Ikea?

Yeah! :D And the model is something that starts with M I think. Markus?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    tru dat-
    n557422828_741940_5240.jpg

I should totally bring my Cintiq back to work. My wife bogarted one of my 20" widescreens, otherwise I'd have one on each side of my Cintiq at home. :(
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »

cintiq2.jpg

you stole my keyboard and mouse, asshole
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, i should of saved up the extra grand for the 21.. :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't have room on my desk...
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't have room on my desk...

Upgrade your desk! :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    How is that smaller cintiq, anyways? Adequate for texturing, or do you find yourself wanting the larger one?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I love the small one.. :)
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    +1 and yes its ikea ^^
    mines full with scratches and scribbles tho
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, got my second monitor hooked all up with a cheap second vid card. :) got to rearrange now my desk is starting to get smaller. :D

cintiq3.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Where do I sign-up to see through the other end of that cam, hot stuff?
  • Magnatude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a note, I've found with my own Cintiq 12:

Test out various software with it. I've found my favorite software programs with a Cintiq is Zbrush, Anime Studio Pro and Corel Draw.
    I wasn't big on using Painter, I preferred the Anime Studio/Corel Draw due to the comic book india-inking look of the strokes... which I found less attractive in Photoshop or Painter (but obviously there is a lot of tweaking to get this). Zbrush is a natural for a Cintiq user.

Using the Cintiq as your "Primary" monitor is necessary with other software like Project Dogwaffle Pro, mainly due to the Slider-bars showing up in awkward places if you don't.

I recommend the Cintiq to anyone attempting to make money in Computer graphics. There is a huge difference in workflow and the speed of completing jobs.
    For me it meant no longer needing a scanner and the hand-speed of working directly on the screen than fighting hand/eye/brain/screen dissociation of common pen-tablets.