Home General Discussion

Unearthly Challenge is creeping up, let's get inspired

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man, if you thought it was tough changing some things in your schedule
    to work on this sort of contest you should try running the thing! HEYO!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    aaaaaaw, that sucks :( i was getting so hyped up. Guess I'll start another project in the meantime :(:( though..next year: no damn countdowns until you are very sure. I think we can agree upon that its not very good, when it keeps getting delayed. Only start the countdown when you are SURE so poor little emos like me doesnt get dissapointed:D
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, the countdown clock was what bothered me. I have no problem if it just said Fall 2009 and one day an announcement popped up. I understand the amount of work it takes to run a thing like this, and I know there'll be delays and unexpected problems, but perhaps countdown clocks aren't the way to go.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This isn't news. It happens every time since the first dom war. Yes, it's dumb, but it's also a very big deal to coordinate. Either drink the kool-aid or stop showing up with your cup.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    cholden: no, not really, this is a record in delays, isnt it? :P I understand everyone's point of view, but it IS kinda annoying, I was counting on a delay, but not three. I'm a busy busy bee, now I have to start another project to keep me busy while I try to rebuild my hype and motivation :P
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry guys. It's going to take them 3 more months to change the name to Unearthly Challenge 2010. Sorry. So Sorry. It's going to be great!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Snefer wrote: »
    cholden: no, not really, this is a record in delays, isnt it? :P I understand everyone's point of view, but it IS kinda annoying, I was counting on a delay, but not three. I'm a busy busy bee, now I have to start another project to keep me busy while I try to rebuild my hype and motivation :P

record? I seem to recall it having been far worse for dom war 2, or was it 3?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    adam wrote: »
    Man, if you thought it was tough changing some things in your schedule
    to work on this sort of contest you should try running the thing! HEYO!
    Seriously. I'd gladly wait for anyone to step up and show us how it's done. You guys should start a new thread for the bitching and leave this one alone for people to post nice artwork.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Well here's the thing< I offered a very reasonable suggestion, becasue everyone whos aid "don't bitch" also said something along the lines of it being hard work and it happens everywhere. So if it happens every year and they know it's hard work, then they can anticipate it happening again next year, so with that in mind, maybe don't give a solid date until they have a solid date and if your going to PR the thing months before, simple say it will happen in Q4 or fall.

Very reasonable consider it's a lot of hard work and the delay happens every year.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Well here's the thing< I offered a very reasonable suggestion, becasue everyone whos aid "don't bitch" also said something along the lines of it being hard work and it happens everywhere. So if it happens every year and they know it's hard work, then they can anticipate it happening again next year, so with that in mind, maybe don't give a solid date until they have a solid date and if your going to PR the thing months before, simple say it will happen in Q4 or fall.

Very reasonable consider it's a lot of hard work and the delay happens every year.

Yup... I second this big time.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    really guys... this is a free event. They have the right to advertise the start date anyway they want. if you don't like it... don't enter. bitching isn't going to do much since there are plenty of other GOOD artist who will wait patiently and enter. Be thankful we have people who are willing to go the extra mile and put something together like this for all of us.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    oobersli

Correct! Also it's better to have a fine working challenge than problems with a buggy system. You should know that from games: i have no problem to wait longer if the game runs fine.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Of course it's a free event. Who in their right mind would pay to enter an art contest that requires a commitment of countless hours over a few months in order to finish? This whole "we should be happy to be able to work for free" angle of yours is rather weak. Not everyone is so desperate for exposure.

Yes, organizing a contest is extremely difficult. These delays are probably due to corporate backers causing problems with getting the sponsorship agreements straightened out, I would imagine. But saying you can't complain if you aren't doing it yourself is a very weak argument and always has been, everywhere I've seen it applied.

I don't need to be a musician to criticize music, I don't need to be a mechanic to say that someone has failed to properly fix my car, and I don't need to be President of the United States of America in order to give constructive criticism on a politician's decisions. If enough discontent is expressed over the delays for the contest, the organizers may decide that whatever is causing the delays is not worth putting off the potential contestants.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZackF wrote: »
    Of course it's a free event. Who in their right mind would pay to enter an art contest that requires a commitment of countless hours over a few months in order to finish? This whole "we should be happy to be able to work for free" angle of yours is rather weak. Not everyone is so desperate for exposure.

i'm confused by whats the problem? i'm simply saying, if you have a problem with the start date... don't enter. I and many other artist consider this type of comp as something for fun. Its not going to ruin our lives or make me slit my wrist if it gets delayed.

Not sure what you mean by " be happy to work for free".. do you want to get payed for doing this? Then get a job.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    If somebody gives you music for free and you don't like the music: just don't listen to it.

I totally understand what you are complaining about but hey, we can't change it. And to be honest: every of the big challenges got extra weeks, delays and some unforseen stuff - a challenge withoug that, wouldn't be a GA challenge ^^
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    oobersli: You made it sound like there was an alternative to it being a free event. I was pointing out that there isn't. It being free is not some great feature that makes up for all other shortcomings. It's mainly the prestige that gives Unearthly more of a draw than other equally free competitions, and the apparent lack of professional respect for publicly announced deadlines is currently damaging that prestige.

It's not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but that doesn't mean we should just turn a blind eye to it and think happy thoughts. Acting like the Positive Attitude Police here isn't really helping anyone. People will vent for a bit and life goes on, no point in bitching about bitching.

SimonT: Listening to music doesn't take a commitment of dozens of hours of focused effort. This is more like being offered a free CD, but you have to drive several hours to go get it, and the person keeps rescheduling what time you can show up to get it. If that happened to a friend of mine I wouldn't tell him to shut up and deal with it, I'd let him vent for a bit and we'd both move on, you know?

Anyway, I don't really have a horse in this race and I'd rather not engender any personal ill will so it's probably time I move on myself here. Cheers guys, hopefully whatever deadline they have set up next is the real deal. ;)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    maybe don't clear out your schedules until you see the rules page has gone up? so what if you miss the 0:00.00 start of the contest by a few hours or days...you'll pace yourself along the way. good luck to everyone entering this year!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT wrote: »
    If somebody gives you music for free and you don't like the music: just don't listen to it.

I totally understand what you are complaining about but hey, we can't change it. And to be honest: every of the big challenges got extra weeks, delays and some unforseen stuff - a challenge withoug that, wouldn't be a GA challenge ^^
    I had mothballed a personal project because I thought UC was starting up soon. After the first delay I thought ok this is how its going to go and started it back up. Personally I'm thankful for the extened deadline on my personal project ha!

But yea the constant delays get old... meh not like I don't have a million other things going on to keep me busy.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Collapse
    Huxley 1 2 3 4
    Oddworld 1 2 3 or just go here
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    very nice links Scudz!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, that magic stuff is awesome.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZackF wrote: »
    oobersli: You made it sound like there was an alternative to it being a free event. I was pointing out that there isn't. It being free is not some great feature that makes up for all other shortcomings. It's mainly the prestige that gives Unearthly more of a draw than other equally free competitions, and the apparent lack of professional respect for publicly announced deadlines is currently damaging that prestige.

It's not really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but that doesn't mean we should just turn a blind eye to it and think happy thoughts. Acting like the Positive Attitude Police here isn't really helping anyone. People will vent for a bit and life goes on, no point in bitching about bitching.

not trying to be the positive attitude police, its just that i'm sure everyone can find a personal project or other work to do till the comp starts. its a challenge and some people already have theirselves worked up before they start. i'm excited to see how much i can get done in my free time this year with work getting busy. that and I just got a new place with the fiancee.... so it'll be fun try and juggle the schedule around a bit.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I was serious before when I said you guys should not enter the contest in protest if him delaying it.

Put up or shuttup, etc.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be a free event, and it may be their call to move it, but a lot of entrants won't have time during October, especially students and especially those students who's field of study has nothing to do with art.

(yeah, that's me :()
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    'Especially students'.

What about people with a 9-hours-a-day-as-a-professional-artist job and wife, kids, etc. I have all of those things ('cept the kids) and am entering????

We all have deadlines to meet. IMO thats a pretty lame way of thinking.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Especially students'.

What about people with a 9-hours-a-day-as-a-professional-artist job and wife, kids, etc. I have all of those things ('cept the kids) and am entering????

I was writing a long essay response, but you win. You're right. There are tons of people who are even more commited to other things. The reason I brought in students is because usually they have more free time during the summer and the beginning of fall, thus they would be more likely to participate, had the challenge begun when it was supposed to.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but at least the commitments of the majority here is Art. Working on several things at once is tough, sure, but at least the things you do lie somewhere in a similar area. But when you are working with differential equations and set theory by day, it's kinda hard to wrap your head around modelling at night.

I probably dug my hole even further.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little tired of people whining about how complicated their life is and how hard it is to compete and live life to its fullest. I don't think you can, so choose one over the other for a few weeks. You have 11 other months to go sky diving, swim with sharks, take a walk on the beach and pick flowers with your S/O.

If it was easy to walk up to the finish line then what's the point? If the effort put in doesn't require a small bit of sacrifice then is it really a competition? Honestly if this contest doesn't grab you by the balls and demand your attention then you have no hope of winning, and please for the love of all that is Polycount lay off the whining...

Now before you get all crazy and start transferring your love/hate for Fred onto me, I'm upset about the constant false starts and how it gets announced 6mo way too early, but that's how he runs stuff and the inconvenience to me is no where near the inconvenience of running a competing competition to take its place.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Star Wars (fanart)
    105039_1166442465_large.jpg

Earth No more:
    scott-miller-interview-200803170109.jpg
    scott-miller-interview-200803170-1.jpg
    scott-miller-interview-200803170-2.jpg

Secret World:
    the-secret-world-revealed-200705110.jpg
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me translate the update from Fred to some of you in terms you might understand more easily.

Producer: Dude you need to step up your work a little more the project is falling behind.

Worker: Im sorry man im working overtime to just get this asset finished on time.

Producer: Sorry man but we just let 3 people go so now on top of the asset your working on I need you to complete their work aswell.

Worker: Fuck my life.

The timers where put up with honest intent to launch we can't help it that we can't afford a fulltime programer to setup the system. Now for those of you who are like why do you need a system to run a comp like this. Then try to make one yourself and see how far you get.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't mind the delays, I'm way to busy right now.
  • Holi
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    'Especially students'.

I have to agree with Adam everyone has Work and Family commitments the best you can do is schedule properly and make sure you have time to work on your contest entry, if you cant don't complain about it simple as that :\
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I can't find the general info and rules about this challenge :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That goes live when the contest does.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I can't find the general info and rules about this challenge :(

You can find 2008's contest website, it gives rules and regs, but they will most likely be much different that this time around.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ah, okay, that's not cool, how many teams are there going to be here on PC?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

What's not cool? Last year was a success, I doubt very much the specs are going to change.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Could we stop posting in this thread until theres some actual info? I get my hopes up a bit each time it pops up and then drop in here to find out it's still just people moping about the lack of information.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    i rocked out 3 losing 2d entries last year, three! people lives get complicated, but we aren't here to whine.

we are here to win. check out the 2 gold metals your fellow polycounters got last year. how cool is that! these guys got tons of commitments and still manage to represent the gray and green!

that's quite the amazing accomplishment. tanks so much for your post teriyakistyle lets get the sharptooth train of ownage back on the right tracks. go PC!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Mad props to ScudzAlmighty, because he understands what this thread is all about.
    The rest of you... For shame!

Ryan, thanks for the clarification about the delay.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Codehunters Watch the movie ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuMYCpZRQX0[/ame])! I love the style!

10.jpg
    PR_2007_Codehunters_006_p.jpg
    PR_2007_codehunters_001_p.jpg
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Geeze, at least post the link to the full HD download ;).

::Love me::
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Heck, now I know where Borderlands got their inspiration from.

Borderlands.png
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shiz. I came. Somone say inspiration? I thot so!
    God I love threads like this.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I just love the style of BF2!

bf2%206xaa%202.jpg
    1242563994_dalianplantpanoramique.jpg
    1242563992_daqingoilfieldspanoramique.jpg
    1242563969_dragonvalleypanoramique.jpg
    1242564044_fushepasspanoramique.jpg
    1242564000_gulfofomanpanoramique.jpg
    1242564348_kubradampanoramique.jpg
    1242564377_mashtuurcitypanoramique.jpg
    1242564382_operationcleansweeppanoramique.jpg
    1242564366_sharqipeninsulapanoramique.jpg
    1242564336_songhuastalematepanoramique.jpg
    1242564373_strikeatkarkandpanoramique.jpg
    1242564426_zatarwetlandspanoramique.jpg
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Man I miss BF2, everyone stopped playing then EA wouldn't let me log in to get my god damn stuff back again. It still holds up today though, thats pretty damn good.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Holy hot damn you guys are going to love the theme this year. I can't wait!
This discussion has been closed.