Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graduation Portfolio Critique!

andersh
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
andersh polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone. I am graduating tomorrow and have put together a graduation reel and updated my website with recent work. Could I get some critique on both of these things? In both the presentation and quality of work (any pieces I should drop?)

You can see my stuff at

http://www.stinkyanders.com

Thanks!

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The very first thing I saw when I opened your site was your cowboy concept art, and that is certainly one of the weaker pieces on your site. In fact, I'd get rid of all the concepts, especially the ones that arent yours. Credit people who made the concept, but don't show their work.

But certainly make sure that your best work is the first thing people see on your site, if they see any work at all.

I like the layout of your site.

I just now realized you have a related works section. Related works doesn't scream more portfolio works here to me. I think you should delete all your illustration and life drawings and rename it to projects.

The general rule with portfolios is that you should only show work that's on a professional level. Look at your work and decide, 'would someone pay me for that'

As far as the actual 3d work, I like the cowboy the best. Keep making stuff and gradually replacing everything with more awesome things.

Good luck on the job hunt
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Good work for a graduating student, i'd cut the real at 1:25 though.

Most of all add music!
  • dlx
    I agree with aesir. Definitely put your best work up front and skip the concepts.

Remove the Environment art completely. If you want to show diversity, make a prop or an environment backdrop for one of your characters.

The photograph of the live model is distracting. Maybe use it as a little picture-in-picture over one of the shots of your sculpt.

Good luck!
  • SuicideCrotchShot
    grats man, Im actually graduating tommorow as well from the ai in chicago so best of luck. That said, if you were to do your reel over talor your reel to the job u want, how hard really is it to rearrange a few files in ae right? try to show your modeling from hi to low, the process of it and get them at least in some funky fresh poses, if you can though do idle animations. any way really good stuff man
  • Bad Spleen
    I think that you should try and make the site fit on a 1024 * 768 monitor, without the user having to scroll.

Think of it like a CV; 1 concise page of A4 detailing what you are about. And also with a CV, there is such thing as too much. I'm not saying you have too much, but 3 or 4 solid pieces, can be spoilt by adding another 20 pieces that aren't up to the same standard.
  • woogity
    jealous man wish i had come out of school with skills like these, still have a long way to go, nice work on the cowboy so far, texture that piece and it will be much better.

-Woog
  • Sa74n
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    that's a really ugly website
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    One of the stronger portfolios from our school.. I'd think about consolidating the "Related works" with the main gallery, and agree with the above comments about removing the concept work

Congrats on graduating
  • s0id3
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Center your website. Everything is to the left...it feels very awkward especially on wide screen monitors. Fix the main 3d portfolio page, I thought all you had was a vimeo video it wasn't apparent that the gallery images were below it.
    Why even show the cowboy as the first in the gallery if you're not showing the final textured low poly version?
    You have some good work but the layout needs serious work.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sa74n wrote: »
    that's a really ugly website

Holy crap! I thought it looked familiar.

http://www.envart.com/
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah ummm to be blunt. Making a cheap knock off of another persons site design might not be the best of ideas.

IMO....
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    haha. That's pretty lame. You could have just gone with a centered layout with images and video embed.... it's not that hard to do.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    malcom reynolds =firefly.. :D Reynard Malcolm.. lol
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I bet I can find about 10 bajillion other websites with that layout. Wanna know why? It's a really really simple/standard/basic layout.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah ummm to be blunt. Making a cheap knock off of another persons site design might not be the best of ideas.

No one can take credit for coming up with the design of having a tool bar section followed by a list of pictures. Its a generic template! And was probably what his teacher told him to do. IMO...

I think the site does what it needs to do. But you need to get rid of the environment section!
    Then instead of having several little thumbnails all over the place have one big thumbnail (650x350) for each character that takes you to a sub page with the full sizes breakdown renders in it.

Also don't get discouraged if you cant find a job out of school. The industry is super saturated right now with a lot of really good artist with a lot of experience. Just keep making stuff and doing challenges to keep your skillz up! And don't relay on carrier services there.. lol

AI alumni!