Home General Discussion

Uni or Job?

polycounter lvl 10

Replies

• psychoticprankster
    Edit: Go with skulburns advice.
  • psychoticprankster
    Skulburn wrote: »
    I missed Uni, after college. It didn't appeal to me. I've been told everywhere that a degree in 3d isn't worth as much as a solid self-taught portfolio. I'm currently working on my own projects while also working on a portfolio for myself, then going to get some work experience weeks in the bag around the country. After that, i'll review what i've learnt, improve my skills and apply for a job. If your not ready to leave the education system, then go to Uni, if you dont want to be stuck in it any longer, i'd do the same as me.
    Thats true , good advice.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Do whatever you want.

I got offered a job while I was still in college. I declined so I could finish my degree. Job wasn't waiting for me when I finished :)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Try to get a job after college. If you can't, you might as well work up some more debt.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Start making money or go into debt.
  • 2cool4school
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to work abroad in the future then I believe a university degree is needed, also if you look at alot of vacancy posts they do require a degree. I think University is a good investment (although I think it's cheaper here in the UK than the US), and it can be helpful to get it out the way, while you're young.

But seeing as you are doubtful I would take a year out and apply for jobs and work on your portfolio like mad. A year out can be very helpful to gain some perspective. If you haven't gotten anywhere by the end of the year consider University.

University can be handy for many things, including making contacts, friends, learning from people, and the traditional lessons like LIFE DRAWING which are crucial if you are an artist.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    for clarity's sake

in this case, college = 16-18. University = 18 +

there's very few debts accrued in "college" unless you've got a drug habit or your parents are complete bastards

go to university. It's fun.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know how the education system is "across the pond" as far as game art goes, but my main question for the institution would be, "How much time am i going to be investing doing game art, vs. learning about lots of random BS about art history, math, nutrition science, etc.

School can be instrumental in giving you the push to learn the basics, and drive you to be "on the path". But once you're on that path you may find the only thing slowing you down is school itself.

Giving it a go ain't bad, you can drop it any time you like.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to uni.

Do not do a game art/development related course.

Really, don't.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    don't do philosophy either. That just breeds cunts
  • achillesian
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to uni.

Do not do a game art/development related course.

Really, don't.

I second that. I'd aim for a course that is more dedicated to what you want to do. At the end of the day, if you apply yourself well and keep hanging around here, you will learn to model and texture on your own. I'd probably advise you do an art course, fine art possibly, though I believe you would need a foundation in art to get onto a uni course.

Put bluntly, I wish I'd done fine art at uni.

-Adam
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Go to uni. Learn to cook and buy toilet roll and have lots of sex.

Work on your portfolio while there - there'll be time.

Then get a job.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know your skill level you know what kind of portfolio you can generate better than I do.

I wouldn't bank too much on your skill making any giant leaps without some injections of traditional art practice. 3D tutorials will probably net you a deeper understanding of the apps but probably very little about traditional art.

Its a bit of a tough market to be looking for a job right now, probably better to work on your skills and put off the job hunt until things are a bit better. Don't forget to focus on traditional art it really does help.